Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-12-2013, 22:36   #1
DJ Niner

Ruger 10/22 BX-25x2 50-shot magazine review

I picked up one of the new Ruger BX-25x2 magazines for the Ruger 10/22 last week and thought I'd take a few minutes to share my impressions of it, along with a few photos.

Rimfire Forum

HISTORY

For nearly as long as extended-capacity detachable magazine rifles have been available, GIs and other fast-action shooters realized they could decrease the time needed to reload their weapon and get back into action more quickly by taping/clipping two detachable rifle magazines together. High-speed recreational .22 shooters quickly embraced this concept as a way to keep those beverage cans bouncing or spinning targets spinning with minimal interruptions. This has led to a huge secondary market segment for high-capacity rimfire rifle magazines, including those that can be snapped together to make a double-capacity-mag, for many popular .22 carbines such as Ruger's 10/22. Ruger finally claimed a chunk of this extended-capacity-mag market with the introduction of their popular BX-25 25-shot magazine, and is now going after the dual/clipped-together mag market with their newest offering, the BX-25x2 double mag.

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS, STATS

First, despite what the printing on the left edge of the package indicates, this is NOT "two coupled 25-round magazines"; you cannot pop this magazine apart and have two separate 25-shot mags, and for that reason, I think the package statement is a bit misleading. It is, in fact, a single mag that feeds from separate feed tracks/lips located at opposite ends of the mag, so perhaps "permanently coupled dual magazine" would be a more accurate description. Even so, the mag does seem to share many parts with the standard BX-25 mag, but its main selling point is the compact central portion of the main body, which reduces the width of the mag by about 20% compared to some competing twin-coupled-mag designs (or even taped-together stock BX-25 mags).

Overall length of the BX-25x2 is about 9.25 inches (tip-to-tip), compared to 7.625" (seven and five-eighths inches) for a standard BX-25. Side-to-side thickness is about 2 inches, vs. 1.25 inches for a single BX-25 mag. Front-to-back measurements for either style of mag are about the same, if measured at the same point on the mag bodies.

BX-25x2 on the left, BX-25 on the right:
Rimfire Forum

A quick measurement of a popular competitor's dual-magazine design showed a clipped-together width of about 2.5 inches, so the Ruger BX-25x2's decrease in this dimension is an appreciable and quantifiable 20%. Whether or not it makes any practical difference in actual use will be up to the user. Carrying either type of mag (Ruger's BX-25x2 dual-built-mag design, or two single-mags-clipped-together competitors' mags) on your belt, for instance, will still require a rectangular pouch approximately the size of a standard masonry brick; a curved/contoured pouch could be made slightly smaller and still work, but it's still going to be pretty chunky. Pouch flaps/lids must fit snugly and close securely to prevent the smooth, curved mags of either type from working their way out of a pouch through a gap and becoming lost during movement.

(to be continued...)

Last edited by DJ Niner; 04-12-2013 at 23:42..
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 22:38   #2
DJ Niner

In the photo below, you can see the factory-provided rubbery synthetic smoosh-on/pull-off cap, used to protect the feed lips and ammo in the bottom mag track. Over the years, users of clipped/taped-together mags have found that hurriedly flopping down into a prone position could cause the feed lips on the bottom mag to dig into the ground, fouling the mag or damaging the top round of ammunition. Flipping your mag and snapping it into the receiver along with a load of dirt/mud/sand/grass/snow, or a dented cartridge, will do nothing at all to increase your rifle's reliability. However, this extra protection has to be balanced against the need to remove (and retain) the mag cap prior to reloading, adding time and complexity to an otherwise quick and simple task. Hunters and varmint shooters who low-crawl into a hidden blind or call/shoot from a low prone position may benefit from this addition, but most of us will probably just lose the dang thing.

Rimfire Forum

Visual comparisons of the single and double BX-25 mags can vary quite a bit, depending on the viewing angle. Here is an example; in this first photo, the mags appear fairly similar in length...

Rimfire Forum

...but if you lay them side-by-side at the same approximate angle that they would extend from the rifle, then the impression (for me, at least) is quite different:

Rimfire Forum

FUNCTION TESTING

Testing was conducted using the five .22 ammunition brands/types shown below. The Remington and CCI Mini-Mag RN are round-nose copper-plated loads; the Federal and CCI Mini-Mag HP are plated hollowpoint loads, of the type often used for hunting with a .22; and the CCI Blazer represents the less expensive round-nose unplated rimfire ammo commonly used for informal target shooting.

Rimfire Forum

Two different 10/22 rifles were used in the testing -- a relatively new Ruger Takedown 10/22 which is basically unmodified except for the addition of a target hammer and a low-powered scope; and a stainless steel standard 10/22 carbine, which has been heavily modified with a replacement stock, Volquartsen TG2000 trigger housing group, and other internal parts (however, it still has the original factory barrel).

Each rifle was fired with one magazine containing 50 rounds of each load, with 25 rounds being loaded into each end of the magazine, for a sub-total of 250 rounds in each rifle, 500 rounds total for the test. The magazine locked-in snugly in each rifle, with only a small amount of "wiggle" seen (when prompted by pulling in various directions by hand).

No stoppages of any kind were noted, in either rifle.

This magazine was also test-inserted into a 10/22 that has been modified with a Butler Creek side-folding stock. No interference between the stock and the magazine was noted, due to the stock folding to the right side, and the additional bulk of the wider magazine being located on the left side of the rifle. However, users with a left-side-folding stock (the only one that comes to mind is the ATI Strikeforce) will need to check for clearance/interference issues prior to use with the stock folded. If you have another hi-cap 10/22 mag, you can check for the needed clearance by locking the mag into the receiver and measuring the gap between the folded stock and mag body. The BX-25x2 needs about an extra three-quarters of an inch on the left side of the mag body to prevent potential magazine binding during removal or insertion, or a failure of the stock to lock in the closed position.

Related to this concern are stocks that have a lower "belly" in the receiver area on either side of the magazine well. The wider portion of the magazine begins a scant 1/8 inch below the bottom of the receiver, so if your highly stylized ultra-modern stock extends below the receiver bottom, you may not be able to get this magazine to lock into the mag well.

SUMMARY

If you have a want or need for this size and type of magazine, the Ruger BX-25x2 should serve you perfectly. For carrying in the field, it is probably less convenient than toting two smaller 25-shot mags, but this is true of its direct competition, as well. It has demonstrated its reliability with multiple ammo types and brands, and can be disassembled for cleaning to keep it in top condition for for years of use. The current street price on this magazine is around $70, plus shipping, which would put it slightly higher in cost than two normal BX-25 magazines, but due to the recent high demand, BX-25 mags are often selling for $40 or more, making the BX-25x2 a better deal on a cost-per-shot basis.

Last edited by DJ Niner; 04-12-2013 at 23:47..
Old 04-12-2013, 22:50   #3
itstime

Holy crap. I like. Never knew of them. I can't fin a regular BX-25. Did you get that on Armslist for like a grand??? LOL

Seriously, I hope I find one or two. Thanks for the info. Great review.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 22:56   #4
DJ Niner

Check CDNN for both BX-25 and BX-25x2 mags; that's where I got this one, a couple of weeks ago. They've been getting some of both models and then selling out of them again every two weeks or so.

Last edited by DJ Niner; 04-12-2013 at 22:58..
Old 04-14-2013, 17:15   #5
JohnnyDB

I was just thinking of taping my 2 BX-25's together, I never knew the X2 existed. Thanks for the "great" info,really appreciate it
JohnnyDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 17:23   #6
GIG4FUN

I'm good with the Bx25's ( I have seven mags and 3 10/22's) why add the weight an oddity.
SArmory XDm.45compact - H&K .45c / NRA member
S&W & Browning & Ruger & Winchester & Remington
GIG4FUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 19:53   #7
Kwesi

Great review! I almost bid on one of these until I read the details and realized they are coupled permanently. I decided against that much weight and purchased a 3 pack instead. They ran $142 delivered!
Kwesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:40   #8
ditto1958

Excellent review of a cool product. Don't want/need one myself, but sounds like another good idea from Ruger that has been well executed.
ditto1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 13:49   #9
X-Centric

I didn't know about the 50 rounder either. I bought the BX-25 a couple of weeks ago and when using it had several fail-to feeds. Called Ruger and of course they siad to try it again and send it back for a replacement if I have more problems. I've shot two of the Butler Creek 25 round steel lips for years and never had any problems. I wanted another one but couldn't find any.

If you don't believe in God believe in Karma!

You can call me Al.
X-Centric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:50   #10
DJ Niner

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Centric View Post
I didn't know about the 50 rounder either. I bought the BX-25 a couple of weeks ago and when using it had several fail-to feeds. Called Ruger and of course they siad to try it again and send it back for a replacement if I have more problems. I've shot two of the Butler Creek 25 round steel lips for years and never had any problems. I wanted another one but couldn't find any.
Were you using CCI ammo? I've had a couple of rounds fail to pop-up into feeding position with the original BX-25 mags while using CCI Mini-Mags, both HP and round nose. I think it is a bullet lube related problem (at least one of the rounds had what looked like excess lube on the bullet nose; some of the ammo I was using may have been dragged around in my vehicle for a summer or two).
Old 04-19-2013, 06:13   #11
X-Centric

[QUOTE=DJ Niner;20200329]Were you using CCI ammo?/QUOTE]

No, I usually use Federal bricks.

If you don't believe in God believe in Karma!

You can call me Al.
X-Centric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:49   #12
DJ Niner

Hmmm. I think I have some old Federal brick-packed stuff in one of the ammo cans; maybe I'll dig it out and try a few mags of it.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:03   #13
wjv

the ruger store, (shopruger) sells the regular BX-25 for $31.95

Currently out of stock but my experience with two orders for min-14 mags was that they get you your mags in 30-45 days.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 23:26   #14
DJ Niner

In this thread:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1483857

user mojohanna reported the mags that were ordered from Ruger on 3/10 finally shipped on 5/3. I wouldn't be surprised to find that mag orders placed after 3/10 might take even more than 7 weeks to fill.
Old 07-12-2013, 19:44   #15
DJ Niner

Price update: I am now seeing the BX-25x2 for around $50 at several online outlets, with the regular BX-25 mags running about $30-$35 nowadays.
Old 07-17-2013, 22:40   #16
sierrafast
Coleccionista

Thanks for the review.. Several months ago, these were selling for close to $100 locally.
sierrafast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 13:49   #17
Faulkner
Patriot

Well done review and pictures.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:58   #18
Fanner50
NRA Endowment

Nice, informative review. I learned some things. Thanks!!!!!
Old 07-25-2013, 10:34   #19
mac66
Plant the seed

Interesting that Ruger, who for so many years disdained hi-cap mags would come up with a 50 rounder. I have lots of 10/22s and lots of hi-cap 10/22 mags from various manufacturers but I have pretty much gone back to 10 round mags because of the ammo shortage. I have plenty of ammo, just don't want to use it up without being able to replace it.

One of the hi-cap mags I have is a Ramline 50 round double stack mag from the 1980s. It is about the same length as most other companies 25 round mags. It worked most of the time. I am surprised no one has found a way to make a double stack .22 work better these days.

Ramline also had a 30 round double stack mag that was about the size of the extended Butler Creek 10 round single stack mag. The Ramline 30 rounder was a pretty handy mag. Unfortunately Ramline mags tended to split at the feed lip seams. You could send them back and they would send you a new one. Eventually the AWB put an end to that and I only have a couple of 30 and 50 round mags left but neither work anymore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 18:45   #20
jp 19

this is an old post but for what its worth cabela's as of this date 09/10//13 has the bx 25 for $24 http://www.cabelas.com/product/Ruger...ne/1229746.uts

PS a drop or two of oil on the top bullet will help feeding although i havent had any problems.

"if guns kills people, then my pencil mis-spells words"

Last edited by jp 19; 09-10-2013 at 18:49..
jp 19 is offline   Reply With Quote