Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-18-2014, 21:25   #1
Jimbo90

An option without cons?

Ok I sold all of my collection a while back because change of life. I'm getting back into rebuilding my gun safe. The only shotgun I've had was a mossy 500 tac but it never did feel right and felt heavy.

I'm picking up a G21 but I would like to buy a shotty with it.

I want something light, durable and very dependable. However I'm finding cons along with every model.

Benelli supernova - fits and feels very nice. One of the best ones that I ever handled however I've read reports of mag tube rust. The other thing I don't like is lack of stock options and low compacity.

Benelli M4 - very nice gun. Its even mil spec. The only issue is shooting weaker ammo. Last but not least is the price tag.

Remington 870 - feels great. Just like the nova but the SN feels a tad better. Wide variety of aftermarket parts. However these are can be rust buckets. I live in a very humid area.

My question. Is there another shotty that would be good for me to test?

So far I really love the supernova but I don't know how durable it is? Is it anywhere near mil spec? I want one that can get me thru extra training that I'm taking.
Jimbo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 22:12   #2
Zebulon

Personally. I think it is impossible to dictate what shotgun (pistol, etc) is best for anyone. I've been at this for nearly 30 years and one thing I can say for certain is that guns, like cars, like women, all carry with them a subjective element that cannot be defined by or for another. I guess that makes me wiser that everyone else who will offer their opinion on what is best for you. No shame, just reality. You will have to shop around, spend uneccessary money, and change your mind along the way like all of us have done. If you like it, and it works for you, it's the best choice. It doesn't matter one tiny bit what the rest of us "experts" thinks.......Zebulon
Zebulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 22:15   #3
Zebulon

BTW, I recently purchased a shotgun, that despite all the warnings and cautions, fits me perfectly. Not only that, but I agreed that there were better choices. I bought a Remington 11-87 Police.....because I liked the looks of it better than the rest of those shotguns recommended. Don't laugh, you'll do it too, eventually...... Zebulon
Zebulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:12   #4
Inebriated

The rust "issue" on the Express is easily mitigated with basic maintenance. It's between 80 and 90% humidity here in the summers, I've never once had a spot of rust on my Expresses. Frog Lube works great for keeping rust away. If you really don't like it, you could just get a Police model, or a modified Express from AI&P Tactical (who is a member here), both of which are parkerized, rather than matte blued.

And don't get caught up in the ideal of a shotgun being mil-spec. People train with Novas and 870's all the time, they work.

Buy whichever you think feels best, because no matter how good a shotgun is, you're going to find cons if you try.

The Remignton 870, Mossberg 500/590, Benelli Nova/SuperNova, Winchester 1200/1300... they all work just fine. Pick the one that feels best. Don't worry about mil-spec or aftermarket or rust... just take care of the gun, and they'll all take care of you. If you're like everyone else, you'll spend tons of money on new stocks, side saddles, magazine extensions, followers, etc., only to find that you've got all that **** sitting in a drawer, and your shotgun is pretty much the same as when you bought it, just with more scratches and you're a whole lot better with it.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
Black Rifle Club Member #2L8
The 21 Club Member #19691

Last edited by Inebriated; 05-19-2014 at 01:14..
Inebriated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:00   #5
Jimbo90

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll continue to shop around but I think I might be sold to the supernova tactical. The only aftermarket parts I want is a extension and a sling. I have a buddy who bought a Stevens security pump and he absolutly loves it. I tried it out and just like the 500 it felt huge to me. I just checked out a 887 that looked and felt nice but after reading about it its best to avoid.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:03   #6
jlpskydive

Take a look at the FN SLP MKI, I have one and LOVE it.
jlpskydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:09   #7
Inebriated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo90 View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll continue to shop around but I think I might be sold to the supernova tactical. The only aftermarket parts I want is a extension and a sling. I have a buddy who bought a Stevens security pump and he absolutly loves it. I tried it out and just like the 500 it felt huge to me. I just checked out a 887 that looked and felt nice but after reading about it its best to avoid.
You'll like the SuperNova. If you want a different stock on the Benelli, look at Mesa Tactical. They make a pistol grip stock, based 100% off of the factory Benelli M4 stock, with a shorter LOP, which it sounds like you'd like (if other guns feel huge). Also, Nordic Components makes a great magazine extension for it.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
Black Rifle Club Member #2L8
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:51   #8
collim1
Shower Time!

An 870P with a 4 shot tube is a super light (as far as pump shotguns go) and handy sized shotgun. When you first get it rub in some Hoppes gun grease and allow it to soak into the parkerizing then wipe off the excess. Its humid in my area also and its a patrol shotgun so it sees hard use and very little cleaning. Never had any rust issues except for the sight bases.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:51   #9
Jimbo90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
You'll like the SuperNova. If you want a different stock on the Benelli, look at Mesa Tactical. They make a pistol grip stock, based 100% off of the factory Benelli M4 stock, with a shorter LOP, which it sounds like you'd like (if other guns feel huge). Also, Nordic Components makes a great magazine extension for it.
Thanks!
Old 05-20-2014, 08:57   #10
MarkCO
CLM Number 245
Charter Lifetime Member

A shotgun is supposed to be Versatile...the VersaMax is that in spades. It has an M4 style operation system with some decided improvements. Reliable with low recoil up to 3.5", the higher end ones have adjustments for fit, durable. Might be a touch heavier than some others, but not enough to bother me at all.
.40 S&W Club #1, 1911 Club #1067
NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor
www.CarbonArms.us
MarkCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:48   #11
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo90 View Post
Benelli M4 - very nice gun. Its even mil spec. The only issue is shooting weaker ammo. Last but not least is the price tag.
What issue with weaker ammo? You been reading the interwebs again?

I shoot target ammo in mine all the time. So, a standard 1-1/8 oz 2-3/4 dram load of #8 shot. I don't know why you would want to shoot anything lighter but I suppose if you shot a 1 oz wimp load there might be a problem but based on my shooting, there just isn't an issue.

I use the Remington Managed Recoil 1 oz slugs and Federal 2-3/4" 9 pellet 00 buckshot for SD ammo.

I can't help with the price...

The 870 <insert model name here> is the standard in the industry. I have an old police model with a bead sight and it works very well. I also have a new tactical model and it also works fine. But I prefer the M4.

If you buy the M4 with a pistol grip stock, be VERY CAREFUL how you expand the magazine. You can't legally add an extension tube, you need to replace the entire tube plus two other imported components. Research 922(r) compliance.

Go here and read under FAQ (when they get their site restored):
http://shop.carriercomp.com/category.sc?categoryId=4

BTW, they make an excellent magazine tube.

Richard
Old 05-21-2014, 18:17   #12
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

I have an M4 and can shoot light target loads all day long. When they are new the springs and action may be a little tight but once you get about 200 standard power loads down the barrel the thing will loosen up a little you will not have any problem at all.

You can also buy a reduced power inertia spring if you are concerned about this for about $8 and in 2 minutes take the factory spring out of the bolt head and replace it with the reduced power spring. But this is really not required. My M4 is reliable across a whole spectrum of ammunition power levels. So is my M2 which is a helluva good gun for the money as well.

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 23:39   #13
Benton

OP,
Ithaca defender matte finish.

One of the all time greatest pump shotguns in my opinion; another design by the wizard himself: John M. Browning.

Ithacagun.com
Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:47   #14
seamaster

You wrote "light, durable and very dependable...and no cons",

This is your gun:
52136-MOS Mossberg Model 500 Home Defense TALO Special Edition
http://www.davidsonsinc.com/consumer...=100&item_num=

Tactical Shotguns
seamaster is offline   Reply With Quote