Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:34   #1
F106 Fan

Loading For X-Treme .40 S&W

I'm not a fan of plated bullets but, these days, you have to shoot what you can get.

So, I bought some X-Treme 180 gr RNFP in .40 and now I want to load them with WSF

From Hodgdon:
Quote:
180 GR. BERB FP Winchester WSF .400" 1.125" 5.5 952 27,600 PSI 6.0 1020 33,500 PSI
180 GR. HDY XTP Winchester WSF .400" 1.125" 5.4 946 28,000 PSI 5.8 1013 32,900 PSI
I have been loading Zero 180 gr JHP with 5.7 gr of WSF and they come out very close to 950 fps. FWIW, Sierra has the max at 6.6 gr for their JHP - a lot higher than Hodgdon.

I have read that X-Treme bullets have a rather thick plating and I was thinking to load them the same as the Zero jacketed. From the Hodgdon data re: Berry's, it seems this would be well within range and, in fact, I could kick it up a bit (with Berry's, and I don't have those).

Any thoughts on this loading? Any particular gotcha's for X-Treme plated bullets?

Richard

Last edited by F106 Fan; 04-20-2013 at 09:36..
F106 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:29   #2
arkdweller22

I have been using X-treme bullets for a few years without issues. No particular gotchas with that brand that I can think of...

Your WSF load looks good to me, on paper (or electrons ) at least. It will run a bit faster than your jacketed loads, but no a whole lot. Typically with plated bullets you want to stay at the low end of JHP and the high end of cast lead for load data. That's exactly what you're doing.

As an example: my plinking load for 40S&W is 5.5 grains of Unique topped by a 180 grain X-treme bullet. I get about 980 FPS with that load. If you look at the load data, that's the very lowest end of jacketed and the highest for cast loads.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited by arkdweller22; 04-20-2013 at 10:31..
arkdweller22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:28   #3
PCJim

Richard, I don't shoot plated bullets, only lead or jacketed. Having been on this and other boards for a while, I've read more than a few threads on using plated bullets. The "word" has always been to use jacketed bullet data as a guide. Start at the recommended starting charge and work up to a mid-level charge. Call it a day if you find something in between that you like. Unless you're working with a chronograph, don't exceed mid-level jacketed data.

BTW, those plated bullets might find favor with the grandchildren's parents as a side benefit. Although you can usually find jacketed for the price of some of the plated, in today's craziness one will use almost anything they can find.
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:12   #4
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCJim View Post
Richard, I don't shoot plated bullets, only lead or jacketed. Having been on this and other boards for a while, I've read more than a few threads on using plated bullets. The "word" has always been to use jacketed bullet data as a guide. Start at the recommended starting charge and work up to a mid-level charge. Call it a day if you find something in between that you like. Unless you're working with a chronograph, don't exceed mid-level jacketed data.
Yes, I'm aware of that. However, I am also aware that X-Treme bullets have a much heavier jacket than something like Berry's. I'll dissect one when they come in. I have quite a collection of dissected bullets. Always curious...

I'm also taking note of the fact that Hodgdon has a slightly heavier load for Berry's (lighter jacket) than they do for a conventional JHP. I would have expected it to be the other way around.

Nevertheless, given Sierra's 6.6 gr MAX (versus 5.8 at Hodgdon), I'm just barely at mid range. Should be ok.

Quote:
BTW, those plated bullets might find favor with the grandchildren's parents as a side benefit. Although you can usually find jacketed for the price of some of the plated, in today's craziness one will use almost anything they can find.
By edict, my grandson is not to shoot lead bullets. He only wants to shoot .45 ACP so I load FMJ for him and LSWC for me.

I would never buy plated if I thought I could get jacketed. But these days, I'm not so picky!

As a side issue, I have not tried loading lead bullets in .40 S&W. So far, I'm working through a couple of thousand Zero JHPs. I wish I could get more...

Richard
Old 04-20-2013, 12:25   #5
ricklaut

I don't use WSF, but as a point of reference, I use 6.2 grains of Unique with that same Xtreme bullet. Amazingly accurate.
ricklaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 13:54   #6
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

I used to load that bullet in the .40 S&W with 5.8gr WSF set to 1.125 OAL. 950-960fps

You can use jacketed data with Xtreme bullets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
freakshow10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 14:36   #7
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
I used to load that bullet in the .40 S&W with 5.8gr WSF set to 1.125 OAL. 950-960fps

Looks like I'm on the right track. I won't even have to change my press setup!

I should have the bullets in a week or so.

Richard
Old 04-20-2013, 21:18   #8
PCJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post

As a side issue, I have not tried loading lead bullets in .40 S&W. So far, I'm working through a couple of thousand Zero JHPs. I wish I could get more...

Richard
I "had" a thousand 155gr LSWC sized at .401 that I worked up loads using WST last weekend. I say "had" as they are, as of this morning, all now loaded rounds. I settled on a charge of 4.5gr WST at a COL of 1.135. A relatively mild round that shoots quite sweet out of a P229. And, you've got to love those perfect SWC holes on paper targets.

I had expected feed problems when first working up the loads, but the Sig handled the SWC design very well.
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 22:19   #9
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCJim View Post
I "had" a thousand 155gr LSWC sized at .401 that I worked up loads using WST last weekend. I say "had" as they are, as of this morning, all now loaded rounds. I settled on a charge of 4.5gr WST at a COL of 1.135. A relatively mild round that shoots quite sweet out of a P229. And, you've got to love those perfect SWC holes on paper targets.

I had expected feed problems when first working up the loads, but the Sig handled the SWC design very well.
I haven't tried this yet but I'm heading in that direction. I'll probably try to get some LSWC from S&S Casting if they ever get caught up on their backlog. I'll probably go for the 175 gr LSWC.

I am trying to match the felt recoil of my wife's duty ammo so something like 180 gr JHP at 990 fps.

But, alas, S&S isn't accepting orders...

Richard
Old 04-21-2013, 18:06   #10
Fire_Medic
CLM Number 261
Polymer Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post

Freakshow is spot on here. Thanks to Freakshow two things changed for me reloading: I now only use Redding Pro Series dies on my 550, and WSF is an excellent powder for various calibers.

On to the Xtreme bullets, they're all I have been using for 2 years plus now if I can get my hands on them, and my 9MM load with the 124GR is an awesome shooter (also using WSF). I have some 40SW Xtreme coming too as I will soon own a 40SW pistol again and have some people asking me for 40 ammo locally. The recipe from Freak is what I used for years when I shot only 40 back in my early days here on GT.

In that caliber I much prefer the 180gr loads over any of the others, be it lead, jacketed, or plated.

The Xtremes are the thickest "plated" bullets I have had experience with.

The Bewrry's to me do not hold up well in the higher velocities, and after a bad experience a few years back with them in 45ACP I do not bother with them anymore.

Just my $0.02
FM
Florida Glockers Club #2250, BHP Club #2250, Niners Club #2250, G1 Niners Club #2250, Black Rifle Club #2250, S&W Club #2250, 40SW Club #2250

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

RIP GioaJack!
Fire_Medic is offline   Reply With Quote