SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-21-2013, 13:52   #1
Cole125
Silver Membership

Barrel nut torque question

Buddy of mine is putting a new rail on his AR and needed to change out the barrel nut. His torque wrench goes to 25 ft/lbs max, and he said he got the barrel nut to line up perfectly at 25 ft/lbs.

Is this tight enough for the barrel nut? I assume it is impossible for it to come loose because of the gas tube going through it. If it came loose could it bend the gas tube?

I have read the barrel nut should be 30-80 ft pounds, is 5 pounds lighter enough to **** things up?

Thanks

Last edited by Cole125; 04-21-2013 at 13:56..
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 14:03   #2
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole125 View Post
Buddy of mine is putting a new rail on his AR and needed to change out the barrel nut. His torque wrench goes to 25 ft/lbs max, and he said he got the barrel nut to line up perfectly at 25 ft/lbs.

Is this tight enough for the barrel nut? I assume it is impossible for it to come loose because of the gas tube going through it. If it came loose could it bend the gas tube?

I have read the barrel nut should be 30-80 ft pounds, is 5 pounds lighter enough to **** things up?

Thanks
The nut isn't likely to back loose due to the gas tube, but an improperly torqued barrel nut CAN cause accuracy issues, as the barrel won't locked as tightly to the reciever as it needs to be. I'd imagine it could also lead to headspacing issues if the barrel has any fore/aft play.
Old 04-21-2013, 14:36   #3
mjkeat

I believe it's 35 ft/lb
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 14:41   #4
Cole125
Silver Membership

Hmm well should he shoot it as is and see if there is any accuracy issues?

I assume the proof is in the pudding, if he shoots and and it groups good hes good to go right?
Old 04-21-2013, 14:48   #5
mjkeat

I don't know, never half-assed it. I did research it a while back and according to good sources it could cause accuracy issues. I wouldn't shoot it until the job (assembly)was finished.
mjkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 15:07   #6
Cole125
Silver Membership

Got you, I'll tell him to take it to a smith and have it done correctly.
Old 04-21-2013, 15:29   #7
K. Foster

I believe it’s 30 to 80. Research it if you’re in doubt. I would get a proper torque wrench and do it right. What I was taught is go to 35lb, then 1 more notch. Get it tight. I wouldn’t worry about the 80lb maximum, you’re not likely to get there with out forcing something. Be sure to use the proper anti-seise grease and torque it, loosen it, re-torque 3 times.
Do not shoot it until it's done right!!
Old 04-21-2013, 15:38   #8
samurairabbi
Dungeon Schmuck

There is a way he can measure above 25 using his existing torque wrench.

He can put a wrench extension between the barrel wrench and the torque wrench. Compute the ratio of the new assembly length to the torque wrench itself. That ratio then becomes a correction factor that can adjust the INDICATED reading to the ACTUAL exerted torque.

Or he could just get another torque wrench.
Old 04-21-2013, 16:59   #9
bullittmcqueen
Gunfighter

Between 30 and 80 ft/lb is ideal. I would wager if he backed the barrel nut off and retorqued it several times and advanced it to the next "slot" it would be just right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bullittmcqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:15   #10
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole125 View Post

Thanks

Quote:
Barrel Nut - 30 Ft. lbs. Minimum, not to exceed 80 Ft. Lbs. to align the next slot in the barrel nut.
Basically torque to 30, adjust torque wrench to 80 and tighten
Just until the slot aligns with the receiver cut out for gas tube.
If 80 is exceeded, loosen and start again.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:55   #11
surf

I will note that the rifle might shoot fine for quite some time under torqued. Depending on how much he shoots, it might be good to go for the life of the rifle. Even under heavier use he might get away with it. But I can say that without a doubt if the barrel nut loosens just a bit there might be a tiny bit of movement that you may not be able to physically notice by wiggling the barrel, however your groups might be all over the place. I have fixed many a rifle that had a barrel nut that was under torqued.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 14:57   #12
Jack Greenwell

I have seen a barrel nut cut off a gas tube, it is actually common for our troops ( I am aviation not doorkicker). The situation is the one man (guy kicking in a door to kill bad guys) tenses up and while using as much force as possible to kick the door, some of that force transfers to you weapon hands. Without a FVG it is way hard to do but with one it is quite easy. If he knows how to do it he should just buy a better wrench for this project, it's cheaper than hiring someone.