Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-28-2013, 13:29   #21
knedrgr

SBR away! Love mine.

Black Rifle Forum

Black Rifle Forum
COTEFT #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

knedrgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 14:15   #22
Lee-online
Mul-ti-pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Before submitting my Form 1, I had an inspector tell me outright to NOT list multiple calibers on the paperwork. The only reason given was that some inspectors didn't like it, and it could land you in the back of the pile. It was suggested to me to submit the Form 1 with ONE barrel length, and ONE caliber listed, then file an amendment letter at a later date if you needed to permanently alter the configuration.
That is what i was told, I have mine registered as a 10.3" in 5.56mm. It spends it life that way locked in the safe but it is legal to put any other upper on it at any time. If i would sell the 10.3 upper then i would have to amend the form to the new uppers specs.

—Thomas Jefferson
Lee-online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 14:23   #23
vettely

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Before submitting my Form 1, I had an inspector tell me outright to NOT list multiple calibers on the paperwork. The only reason given was that some inspectors didn't like it, and it could land you in the back of the pile. It was suggested to me to submit the Form 1 with ONE barrel length, and ONE caliber listed, then file an amendment letter at a later date if you needed to permanently alter the configuration.
Ditto. Do not use multi caliber. I put 5.56 MM and had no problems.
Old 04-28-2013, 14:25   #24
Clusterfrack

Isn't the interstate restriction on transport of an NFA item for commercial purposes only? Can anyone show me where I am prohibited from transporting for recreational purposes my NFA weapon to any state where I can legally possess it?

And SBRs are cool. Just do it!

Black Rifle Forum
Old 04-28-2013, 14:47   #25
Spiffums
I.C.P.

I think the whole NFA could be simplied by taking $200 and the form to the nearest IRS office and let them issue you a nice rubber stamp on your copy of the form......then you go to the FFL and let them run the background check for the rifle/lower/whatever you want. Then you could engrave the number they give ya on the item..............would make for a hell of a lot of cash for the government.
Old 04-28-2013, 14:47   #26
IGotIt
No Demlibtards

One or more of each should do.
Old 04-28-2013, 14:49   #27
IGotIt
No Demlibtards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
I think the whole NFA could be simplied by taking $200 and the form to the nearest IRS office and let them issue you a nice rubber stamp on your copy of the form......then you go to the FFL and let them run the background check for the rifle/lower/whatever you want. Then you could engrave the number they give ya on the item..............would make for a hell of a lot of cash for the government.

I like the idea of having the number issued engraved, rather than trust, city and state info.
Old 04-28-2013, 15:19   #28
Hef
Stop Obammunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
Isn't the interstate restriction on transport of an NFA item for commercial purposes only? Can anyone show me where I am prohibited from transporting for recreational purposes my NFA weapon to any state where I can legally possess it?

Black Rifle Forum
No.

http://www.firearmslawgroup.com/publ...g-nfa-firearms
Old 04-28-2013, 15:23   #29
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

Black Rifle Forum
It's federal law.

Anything involving you going from one state to another with such an item is considered "interstate commerce."

"Commerce. Travel, trade, traffic, commerce, transportation, or communication among the several States, or between the District of Columbia and any State, or between any foreign country or any territory or possession and any State or the District of Columbia, or between points in the same State but through any other State or the District of Columbia or a foreign country."
Old 04-28-2013, 15:40   #30
Clusterfrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hef View Post
Copy that. Thanks. Looks like SBRs require approval but suppressors don't.
Old 04-28-2013, 22:39   #31
Cole125
Silver Membership

Get what you want, and don't worry about "what ifs" and what "could" or "might" happen.

Truth is at the end of the day no ones is going to take anyones guns away.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 18:16   #32
lilglockboy

Thanks for the responses. I just purchased an 11.5 noveske barrel. So I have my complete lower and a barrel. This is fine for awaiting my tax stamp right? If I buy the upper then just keep it at a friends house?
lilglockboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 20:24   #33
Hef
Stop Obammunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilglockboy View Post
Thanks for the responses. I just purchased an 11.5 noveske barrel. So I have my complete lower and a barrel. This is fine for awaiting my tax stamp right? If I buy the upper then just keep it at a friends house?

You own both and admit to it publicly. Buying a short barrel for an unregistered receiver could be deemed "constructive intent" in federal court. Not good. Wait for your tax stamp, then buy the barrel.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:23   #34
lilglockboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hef View Post
You own both and admit to it publicly. Buying a short barrel for an unregistered receiver could be deemed "constructive intent" in federal court. Not good. Wait for your tax stamp, then buy the barrel.
So when my barrel gets shipped to me then I will just leave it at my friends house. I didn't know I could not own the barrel and not be able to assemble and still be breaking the law. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:47   #35
wct097

Quote:
So when my barrel gets shipped to me then I will just leave it at my friends house. I didn't know I could not own the barrel and not be able to assemble and still be breaking the law. Thanks for the heads up.
Does your lower have a stock on it? Do you have a stripped lower laying around? If you have a lower that has never had a stock installed, or a lower with a pistol buffer tube, my opinion is that you're good to go. I assembled my SBR as a pistol until the stamp came back.

Black Rifle Forum
Black Rifle Forum
Old 04-30-2013, 08:53   #36
lilglockboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wct097 View Post
Does your lower have a stock on it? Do you have a stripped lower laying around? If you have a lower that has never had a stock installed, or a lower with a pistol buffer tube, my opinion is that you're good to go. I assembled my SBR as a pistol until the stamp came back.

Black Rifle Forum
Black Rifle Forum
I have a stock on it. But that is a good point I could install my old pistol stock. Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:04   #37
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

Quote:
I have a stock on it. But that is a good point I could install my old pistol stock. Thanks for the advice.
No, you can't. If it has ever had a stock on it, it is a rifle, not a virgin receiver. Your best bet is to quit posting constructive intent on the internet.

Last edited by Travclem; 04-30-2013 at 09:07..
Travclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:11   #38
wct097

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travclem View Post
No, you can't. If it has ever had a stock on it, it is a rifle, not a virgin receiver. Your best bet is to quit posting constructive intent on the internet.
I disagree, based on this ATF ruling:

Quote:
Therefore, so long as a parts kit or collection of parts is not used to make a firearm
regulated under the NFA (e.g., a short-barreled rifle or “any other weapon” as defined by
26 U.S.C. 5845(e)), no NFA firearm is made when the same parts are assembled or reassembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., a pistol, or a rifle with a
barrel of 16 inches or more in length). Merely assembling and disassembling such a rifle
does not result in the making of a new weapon; rather, it is the same rifle in a knockdown
condition (i.e., complete as to all component parts). Likewise, because it is the same
weapon when reconfigured as a pistol, no “weapon made from a rifle” subject to the NFA
has been made.
http://www.atf.gov/files/regulations...ing-2011-4.pdf

edit:
[disclaimer]This is purely my opinion, and I'm not a lawyer.[/disclaimer]

I personally would extrapolate that the concept of "constructive possession" in regards to an AR15 SBR is a fairy tale as well since according to this ruling, you can reconfigure the receiver as you please so long as you don't actually use a configuration that is subject to the NFA. Are there any actual documented cases of someone being charged by the ATF with constructive possession of an AR15 SBR?

Last edited by wct097; 04-30-2013 at 09:17..
wct097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:19   #39
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

Did you read the part of your quote about a 16" barrel? You may be right, you may not. OP, I wouldn't risk 10 years in the Federal pen to shave a few months off of getting your new toy.

Last edited by Travclem; 04-30-2013 at 09:26..
Travclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:27   #40
wct097

Yes. Note the comma and the use of the word "or".

Quote:
(e.g., a pistol, or a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length)
If it said;

Quote:
a pistol, a potato, or a rifle with a barrel of 16 or more in length
...would you expect the potato to also require a 16" barrel?

edit: I'm not trying to be a smart ass here. I'm just trying to illustrate the point. If the writer was intending to make the point that you could only reconfigure such a firearm between a 16" barreled pistol and a 16" barreled rifle, the correct way to state the example would be:

Quote:
a pistol or rifle, having a barrel of 16" or more in length in either configuration

Last edited by wct097; 04-30-2013 at 09:30..
wct097 is offline   Reply With Quote