SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-28-2013, 15:47   #1
JAS104
NRA Life Member

First AR- suggestions?

So I'm buying my first AR next month from my LGS... Any suggestions? Appreciate the input.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 04-28-2013, 16:15   #2
glockin-45

Good to hear,i just got one and am new to the format. But not as hard as i thought. Just ask questions,as you are, learn your gun,and have fun.Which one you getting?
glockin-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 16:28   #3
WoodenPlank
Who?

What are you going to use it for? Until you give us some ideas of what you want to do with it, it's going to be very difficult to give you solid advice.

This same subject comes up on a very regular basis, so I would suggest going back through the most recent 5 or 6 pages worth of threads, and doing some reading. Get an idea of what people have suggested in the past, what YOU want to do with an AR, and get back to us.
Old 04-28-2013, 16:51   #4
bullittmcqueen
Gunfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS104 View Post
So I'm buying my first AR next month from my LGS... Any suggestions? Appreciate the input.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

It sounds like you have a LOT of reading to do. I would start with the sticky threads at the top of the forums on http://www.m4carbine.net

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bullittmcqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 16:52   #5
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

solid advice!
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 17:43   #6
PaLEOjd

How much money are you looking to spend?
What will you be using the AR for?
What makes/models does your local guy stock?
Carbine or mid Length?
DI or Piston?

BEFORE you buy, make sure you read as much information as you can and educate yourself.

Last edited by PaLEOjd; 04-28-2013 at 17:44..
PaLEOjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 17:47   #7
MARSH1
Dealer

If you are committed to your LGS we need to know what brands they have available, to give you input.

Proud to be a Glock Talk site sponsor!
MARSH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 17:49   #8
JerryVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaLEOjd View Post

BEFORE you buy, make sure you read as much information as you can and educate yourself.
This. I was in the same situation about a year ago and asked the same question. It is definitely not like asking which glock. There is so much variety in form and function research is a must. I ended up deciding to build my own to get exactly what I want as buying a base model and adding what I wanted would have between a few hundred more. It was very easy and the cost of the few tools i needed to buy was minimal.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

JerryVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 17:49   #9
iLift45's

Daniel Defense is a great company! Love mine.

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in every language. - Clint Smith
iLift45's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 17:50   #10
Crazy KD

If you have the time call Brownells and have them send you their AR catalog. It's free. That will have pictures of ARs with tons of accessories mounted on them. Then you can use your google foo to play around researching them. What you may discover is you want to customize your AR. When you start that process it is cheaper to build your own rifle. That is what I did. I started out looking at the Colt complete rifle, but quickly changed to a PSA lower that I built with Magpul accessories and a BCM upper/BCG.

The wild card is availability. Getting a BCM upper and BCG might not be that easy vs. finding a complete rifle right now. If you are not in a hurry then you just buy a piece at a time.

I am a mechanically inclined individual, but before this I had never done any work on my firearms other than disassembly / cleaning. It isn't that hard to assemble a lower.
Crazy KD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 17:55   #11
Crazy KD

The first question you will have to answer is what twist rate....1/7, 1/8, or 1/9. Use your google foo as this alone will completely side track this thread.
Crazy KD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 17:59   #12
WinterWizard

The best brand of AR-15 right now is the Wait-9-To-12-Months-For-Things-Cool-Down-And-Don't-Get-Raped-On-Price-Or-Selection model. I heard it's your best option right now from my brother's friend's sister's uncle.
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 18:15   #13
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWizard View Post
The best brand of AR-15 right now is the Wait-9-To-12-Months-For-Things-Cool-Down-And-Don't-Get-Raped-On-Price-Or-Selection model. I heard it's your best option right now from my brother's friend's sister's uncle.

Fortunately, prices online have plummeted recently. A lot of local shops are still charging an arm and a leg, though.
Old 04-28-2013, 18:17   #14
wired1

LWRC. Expensive but you get what you pay for. No comparison between my Rock River Arms to my LWRC SPR. I can burn through 50 rounds in a matter of minutes and the barrel is cool and the follow up shots are easier to acquire and no mess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
wired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 19:30   #15
Gunnut 45/454

wired1
I highly doupt his LGS has a LWRC!! And I'd bet there months wait time for them to build one!

OP
Tell us what the LGS has an then we can help! Most likely they are stripped down basic rifles- as most LGS don't sell optics with the AR's.
Old 04-28-2013, 20:09   #16
mixflip

To prevent buyers remorse....read alot before you buy.

Know why an AR15 made by Vulcan, Hesse or Blackthorne costs so much less than a Colt, Daniel Defense, BCM, PSA, M&P etc etc.

Know the pros & cons of direct impingement vs piston systems.

Know that an expensive gun with exotic materials and parts wont make you better. Titanium, carbon fiber etc etc mean nothing if you dont have good trigger time.

Buy the right tool for the job. You wouldnt use a hammer to swat a fly right?

Last edited by mixflip; 04-28-2013 at 20:10..
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 20:31   #17
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
To prevent buyers remorse....read alot before you buy.

Know why an AR15 made by Vulcan, Hesse or Blackthorne costs so much less than a Colt, Daniel Defense, BCM, PSA, M&P etc etc.

Know the pros & cons of direct impingement vs piston systems.

Know that an expensive gun with exotic materials and parts wont make you better. Titanium, carbon fiber etc etc mean nothing if you dont have good trigger time.

Buy the right tool for the job. You wouldnt use a hammer to swat a fly right?
Depends on how badly I want the fly dead, and how much I care about smashing whatever the fly is sitting on...

Old 04-28-2013, 20:35   #18
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

Tagged

Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 20:38   #19
sierrafast
Coleccionista

Great advice. I will also be in the market soon when the market is flooded with used ones.
sierrafast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 20:52   #20
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

If I were in the market right now, I'd do one of 3 things:

1. Put your name on the DD rifle-builder waiting list. When your number is up, if you haven't found anything else, you can go this route. Read up a lot so you know what you're ordering.

2. Scout local Wal-marts for a Colt.

3. Set-up notifications with www.bravocompanyusa.com and put together a lower (check with www.gandrtactical.com), then buy an upper from Bravo.

All 3 require time, and patience. In the end, however, you'll end up with a high quality rifle and a reasonable price.

I would not compromise on quality, and I wouldn't get something exotic and gimmicky like LWRC or any other piston AR (that includes the piston Colts).
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I

Last edited by WayaX; 04-28-2013 at 20:52..
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote