Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-28-2013, 22:30   #21
Cole125
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWizard View Post
The best brand of AR-15 right now is the Wait-9-To-12-Months-For-Things-Cool-Down-And-Don't-Get-Raped-On-Price-Or-Selection model. I heard it's your best option right now from my brother's friend's sister's uncle.
Price and availability and getting closer and closer to being half way reasonable everyday. Now it's just the ammo situation I am hoping will cool off soon.

OP- The Colt 6920 is a great choice.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 22:32   #22
Cole125
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrafast View Post
Great advice. I will also be in the market soon when the market is flooded with used ones.
This. There are going to be lots of AR15s on the used market soon, too.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:13   #23
JAS104
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaLEOjd View Post
How much money are you looking to spend?
What will you be using the AR for?
What makes/models does your local guy stock?
Carbine or mid Length?
DI or Piston?

BEFORE you buy, make sure you read as much information as you can and educate yourself.
He's got some bushmaster, colt, and one HK.

I'm definitely thinking carbine and piston. Probably going to do it through gun broker since my LGS only has so much. Thanks much for be input so far guys

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 04-29-2013, 09:21   #24
bullittmcqueen
Gunfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS104 View Post

I'm definitely thinking carbine and piston. Probably going to do it through gun broker since my LGS only has so much. Thanks much for be input so far guys

You haven't done any reading then have you? Why piston? There is no good reason you should choose a piston AR for your first platform rifle. Get the Colt if you must buy this soon. Otherwise, save your pennies and READ before you make a mistake you regret in 6 months.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bullittmcqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:32   #25
MARSH1
Dealer

Quote:

You might also check some of the Glock Talk site sponsors. ARs in stock without the GB markup.

I agree with the comment above about piston not being a good first AR.

Proud to be a Glock Talk site sponsor!

Last edited by MARSH1; 04-29-2013 at 09:33..
MARSH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:43   #26
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Piston ARs are an answer to an unasked question.

Colt had a piston prototype in the 1960s. The Army said no.

They had another one years later. Again, the Army said no. Didn't do anything better than what already existed. And they do add issues with accuracy and wear.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:27   #27
Gunnut 45/454

OP of the three you listed Colt 1st, HK 2nd, Bushmaster 3rd !
Old 04-29-2013, 11:13   #28
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

Be aware that most HK "416" rifles in the U.S. are not actually such. They are MR556s which are substantially different internally. If you *must* have a piston, I would go with a gun designed around the piston system (Scar, AK, FAL, Tavor, etc).
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 13:52   #29
PAGunner

Quality DI AR-15 is the way to go. Colt, Spikes, Daniel Defense, Noveske, LaRue tactical, KAC or BCM are the only options I'd consider. Can't go wrong with a stock Colt 6920 if you find one stock for Wal-Mart price, especially if you don't know how you want to set your rifle up (what works for you). Most people go through a stage of trial and error before figuring out "what works for me", listening to the advice of advanced shooters is usually a good way to skip some of that trial and error (and money).

Without getting into crazy details, IMO Daniel Defense makes the best rifle for the money, I'd recommend a DD M4 V5 or V7 in LW, but don't overpay, pre-panic the V5 could be had for 1,300-1,400, V7 is newer but should be 100-150ish cheaper.

DD makes some good fixed irons, but I'd skip their irons and go Troy folding w/ tritium inserts (personal preference), get a H-1 or T-1 on a DD, LaRue or ADM mount (I'd go ADM absolute co-witness but this is personal preference). I'd throw a Giessele SSA or SSA-E trigger on it, BCM Mod 4 (ambi) or Raptor charging handle, MS4 sling, Inforce WML and possible a Magpul AFG, RVG or hands top (KAC) depending on your shooting style (DD comes with a nice vertical foregrip) and I'd call it a day. Zero the rifle in at 50 meters and you'll have an outstanding lightweight 0-200/250 meter rifle.
Old 04-29-2013, 14:24   #30
JAS104
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAGunner View Post
Quality DI AR-15 is the way to go. Colt, Spikes, Daniel Defense, Noveske, LaRue tactical, KAC or BCM are the only options I'd consider. Can't go wrong with a stock Colt 6920 if you find one stock for Wal-Mart price, especially if you don't know how you want to set your rifle up (what works for you). Most people go through a stage of trial and error before figuring out "what works for me", listening to the advice of advanced shooters is usually a good way to skip some of that trial and error (and money).

Without getting into crazy details, IMO Daniel Defense makes the best rifle for the money, I'd recommend a DD M4 V5 or V7 in LW, but don't overpay, pre-panic the V5 could be had for 1,300-1,400, V7 is newer but should be 100-150ish cheaper.

DD makes some good fixed irons, but I'd skip their irons and go Troy folding w/ tritium inserts (personal preference), get a H-1 or T-1 on a DD, LaRue or ADM mount (I'd go ADM absolute co-witness but this is personal preference). I'd throw a Giessele SSA or SSA-E trigger on it, BCM Mod 4 (ambi) or Raptor charging handle, MS4 sling, Inforce WML and possible a Magpul AFG, RVG or hands top (KAC) depending on your shooting style (DD comes with a nice vertical foregrip) and I'd call it a day. Zero the rifle in at 50 meters and you'll have an outstanding lightweight 0-200/250 meter rifle.
You definitely pointed me in the right direction, I appreciate it!

Old 04-29-2013, 15:07   #31
PAGunner

Quote:
You definitely pointed me in the right direction, I appreciate it!

Glad I can help, it's info I'd tell myself if I could travel back in time, def would have saved myself some cash.
Old 04-29-2013, 17:01   #32
MARSH1
Dealer

Daniel Defense had a price increase at SHOT this year. We are one of their biggest direct dealers and have a decent assortment in stock

https://www.primaryarms.com/Daniel_D...les_s/4281.htm

Last edited by MARSH1; 04-29-2013 at 17:02..
Old 04-29-2013, 18:08   #33
PAGunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSH1 View Post
Daniel Defense had a price increase at SHOT this year. We are one of their biggest direct dealers and have a decent assortment in stock

https://www.primaryarms.com/Daniel_D...les_s/4281.htm
I hate to be the bad guy, but those prices are high. Local brick & mortar has at least 1 DD M4 V5 hanging on the wall 1,500 (a shop not exactly known for great prices), I have my name at the top of a list with an out of state dealer for 1,300 shipped.
Old 04-29-2013, 18:18   #34
Crazy KD

Marshal at Primary Arms is a great guy and I bought my Eotech and other optics from him. I highly encourage doing business with them. With that said are you wanting to spend $1,500 on your first AR before you mount a red dot? You will be well over $2k with a finished rifle. I know the buy once cry once which is why I bought the Eotech. I haven't priced new Colts lately, but last I heard they were in the $1100-$1200 range. As soon as you start accessorizing your rifle it quickly goes up from there in $50-100 increments.

Building my own gun with a BCM upper & BCG, which is always mentioned in the same quality list as Colt and DD, I came in around $1,000 after sling, mounts, and Magpul back up sight.

With that said if you think you might resale then buy the Colt or DD because they will hold their value better in normal times.
Crazy KD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 18:31   #35
PAGunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy KD View Post
I haven't priced new Colts lately, but last I heard they were in the $1100-$1200 range.
$997 at your local Wal-Mart, I would recommend waiting if you can't find one there versus overpaying. We're at that awkward moment when dealers are delusional about the price consumers are willing to pay based on what people were paying during the great false alarm of 2013. Stock is coming back because people aren't paying those prices. And yes even the traditional sources for good prices are still on the high side.

To the OP do your research when it comes to price. I recommend waiting it out rather than over paying. I have thousands that I'll be spending from saving once prices come back to normal. I'll be damned if I'm going to overpay for anything!
Old 04-29-2013, 18:42   #36
MARSH1
Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAGunner View Post
I hate to be the bad guy, but those prices are high. Local brick & mortar has at least 1 DD M4 V5 hanging on the wall 1,500 (a shop not exactly known for great prices), I have my name at the top of a list with an out of state dealer for 1,300 shipped.
As a Daniel Defense factory direct on line dealer we have pricing guidelines that we have to follow. Forum members learn that contacting site sponsors direct before making a large purchase is a good thing to do.

Old 04-29-2013, 19:15   #37
PAGunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSH1 View Post
As a Daniel Defense factory direct on line dealer we have pricing guidelines that we have to follow. Forum members learn that contacting site sponsors direct before making a large purchase is a good thing to do.
Well that makes sense considering the more than fair prices Primary Arms has kept even during the panic. I think we all appreciate that.
Old 04-29-2013, 20:46   #38
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Your first AR should be a AK..
Old 04-30-2013, 08:47   #39
JAS104
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireForged View Post
Your first AR should be a AK..
But I was told those were evil! Lol

Old 04-30-2013, 09:50   #40
JK Freak
OffRoadRenegade

Quote:
So I'm buying my first AR next month from my LGS... Any suggestions? Appreciate the input.

First determine your budget and how much you can afford for the rifle,ammo and magazines along with tools and other equipment needed to maintain/use the rifle.
2013 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited, 3 Inch BDS Lift,BDS Adjustable Control Arms,35X12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ, 17X9 Mickey Thompson Sidebiters,Tom Woods Driveshafts,RCV Axles,Dynatrac Pro Rock 44 F&R,4.88 Gears,Evo Gussets&Truss,Teraflex Adjustable Trackbars,Teraflex Big Brake Kit
JK Freak is offline   Reply With Quote