Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-14-2013, 13:20   #1
boose88

Buying ammo (warning this is a rant)

So i went to a walmart in Il and found some 9mm ammo for sale. Was so amazed they had 100 rounds left I was going to buy them. Actually got someone im walmart to help me

He asked for my foid card and I said I am out of state and do not have one (cant get one until you became a resident just fyi). He asked what state as I replied MI and he said he could not sell me ammo. One the inside I was screaming with fury but calmly asked "dont you just need to see my drivers license?" He explained that I needed to be one of the bordering states and that the great lakes do not count as borders. I was under the impression that firearms only (not ammo) was restricted to sales without a foid for out of state residents. I know someone from MI who bought in Il from a store so we got into a slight disagreement.

After going home and looking up the laws I was in fact wrong. The employee had the laws right. No ammo for me.

Then I thought to myself "how ******* stupid? I could be a convicted felon able to operate a vehicle in one of the bordering states and he could sell me ammo." What kind of ****** up law is this?

I called Dicks sporting goods for more information and just to check that this was not a Walmart law. The guy explained I could purchase a hunting license and then be able to purchase ammo or suggested to drive 30 min north to wisconsin to purchase it. Seriously? I had to buy a hunting license before buying pistol ammo? 2 things shot through my head #1 This is a tax hidden as a hunting license #2 this is infringement and would in no way stop me from actually getting ammo. If i was some sort of criminal or sick person who wanted to kill innocent people do you really think driving 30 min would stop me? or spend whatever the fee was for the license? hell no

This whole gun control law never really hit home in MI cause I could always just get what I wanted when I wanted (of course before the huge scare) with minimal effort and almost no effort after my carry permit. Just to take it one step further if someone was after my life and I needed ammo I would be dead right now cause of some stupid law. Thankfully I still have 800 rounds from previous periodic purchases. This was a wake up call for me.

Ok i feel better.

Thoughts? similar experiences? ever been denied ammo/guns as a law abiding citizen?

oh and now I want a fully loaded aircraft carrier to protect me from laws that dont make sense.
boose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 15:32   #2
countrygun

But look at the dramatic effect that these laws have had on crime in Chicago.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 16:57   #3
boose88

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
But look at the dramatic effect that these laws have had on crime in Chicago.
They dont.

see what I did there? you were sarcastic and i took it literal
boose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 19:36   #4
SJ 40

Too bad you weren't visiting Vermont. # 1 you could have carried open or concealed ,your choice. #2 if ammunition was in stock you could have bought as much as you wanted or could find. #3 No FOID,No DL, No hunting license,wouldn't matter what state you were a resident of, Freedom is Grand. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 20:41   #5
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by boose88 View Post
They dont.

see what I did there? you were sarcastic and i took it literal
GOTCHA!

Neener, neener, neener
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:32   #6
Gunnut 45/454

Opps you got owned by the thugs of IL! Why would you spend your money in that thug state anyway!