SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-30-2013, 21:24   #1
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

College Degrees. Oddest? Most impressive? Most useless?

So, in terms of College degrees...

What do you think are:

The most Impressive?

The most useless?

The oddest?

And for a bonus, who here has (thinks they have) the oddest degree?

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 21:29   #2
hpracing007

Speaking of bachelors...
Most impressive: Electrical engineering
Most useless: women's studies (met one, finally found a job working for fleshlight)
Oddest: women's studies, again.

Last edited by hpracing007; 04-30-2013 at 21:29..
hpracing007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 22:02   #3
17119jfkioe

Most impressive-engineers (i know thats broad but i have very much respect for engineers)

If I were to narrow it down I would have to say electromechanical.

thou shalt not walk around with doo doo on thy tallywacker.

Last edited by 17119jfkioe; 04-30-2013 at 22:06..
17119jfkioe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 22:51   #4
Harper

Most impressive: Chemical Engineering

Most useless: My exercise science degree is a candidate

Oddest: I knew someone who had a B.S. in music(as opposed to a B.A.), not music technology or recording, just music. Another candidate for most useless.
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 22:54   #5
Ronny
Good Guy

I don't consider any degrees impressive. The only thing any degree means to me is you got a piece of paper credential that is valuable for no other reason than having that credential. Totally worthless in themselves other than to start a fire or wipe with. Many of the smartest people never get a degree of any kind.

The oddest degree I'm aware of is that I heard a guy got a bachelor's in Frisbee from Kent State University, my alma mater where I got an undergrad BBA in accounting. My understanding is that the guy convinced some dept heads it was his passion and they made a special program for him or something like that. I'm not sure its even true but it was reported as true.
Old 04-30-2013, 22:58   #6
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
I don't consider any degrees impressive. The only thing any degree means to me is you got a piece of paper credential that is valuable for no other reason than having that credential. Totally worthless in themselves other than to start a fire or wipe with. Many of the smartest people never get a degree of any kind.

The oddest degree I'm aware of is that I heard a guy got a bachelor's in Frisbee from Kent State University, my alma mater where I got an undergrad BBA in accounting. My understanding is that the guy convinced some dept heads it was his passion and they made a special program for him or something like that. I'm not sure its even true but it was reported as true.
I am going to go ahead and state, I dont believe Kent State did that.

As for value, that is simply not true in some cases. Engineering comes to mind. You dont pick that up on your own and it is damned well valuable.

I also know a lot of people who dont have a degree and are damned smart....but no matter how smart they are, they lack the knoweledge that some degrees impart. Someone can be a lot smarter that the guy with the degree in Engineering....but still not know as much about engineering as the guy with the degree.

If I am looking for engineers...the guy with the engineering degree gets the job over the "smarter" guy. That is the very definition of value.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon

Last edited by Rabbi; 04-30-2013 at 22:59..
Old 04-30-2013, 23:07   #7
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

At the bachelor level I can't really say any degrees are particularly impressive, though some are certainly pretty worthless.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:11   #8
Ronny
Good Guy

>>>>As for value, that is simply not true in some cases. Engineering comes to mind. You dont pick that up on your own and it is damned well valuable.

I entirely disagree. Michelangelo is the most classic example. Being refused entry into the Platonic academy he studied nature on his own and developed an understanding of things surpassing all the teachings of formal education.

>>>>>As for value, that is simply not true in some cases. Engineering comes to mind. You dont pick that up on your own and it is damned well valuable.

I also know a lot of people who dont have a degree and are damned smart....but no matter how smart they are, they lack the knoweledge that some degrees impart. Someone can be a lot smarter that the guy with the degree in Engineering....but still not know as much about engineering as the guy with the degree.

If I am looking for engineers...the guy with the engineering degree gets the job over the "smarter" guy. That is the very definition of value.

You make my point for me. The valuable skill there is not engineering it is the piece of paper. Like I said the only purpose of a degree is to have a credential. The degree in itself is a worthless scrap of paper. The guy without the engineering degree might know ten times more engineering than the guy with. Your perception of that the most qualified applicant is the one with the degree in only your perception. After Bill Gates was a freshman at Harvard he determined he knew more about computers than his professors. Your perception of him as a college dropout without a computer degree is contradicted by the facts.

There is a strong perception in our society that having a degree imparts some special ability but it does not. It may provide a credential necessary for professional licensure or to land a job but it means very little about the skills possessed. The only credentials I'd place much value at all on are those earned in the field. A doctor having completed a residency is a strong credential. The medical degree by itself means next to nothing as the doctor may have cheated his way through classes and be less competent than the average nurse in every area.
Old 04-30-2013, 23:13   #9
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:

>>>>As for value, that is simply not true in some cases. Engineering comes to mind. You dont pick that up on your own and it is damned well valuable.

I entirely disagree. Michelangelo is the most classic example. Being refused entry into the Platonic academy he studied nature on his own and developed an understanding of things surpassing all the teachings of formal education.

>>>>>As for value, that is simply not true in some cases. Engineering comes to mind. You dont pick that up on your own and it is damned well valuable.

You make my point for me. The valuable skill there is not engineering it is the piece of paper. Like I said the only purpose of a degree is to have a credential. The degree in itself is a worthless scrap of paper. The guy without the engineering degree might know ten times more engineering than the guy with. Your perception of that the most qualified applicant is the one with the degree in only your perception. After Bill Gates was a freshman at Harvard he determined he knew more about computers than his professors. Your perception of him as a college dropout without a computer degree is contradicted by the facts.

There is a strong perception in our society that having a degree imparts some special ability but it does not. It may provide a credential necessary for professional licensure or to land a job but it means very little about the skills possessed. The only credentials I'd place much value at all on are those earned in the field. A doctor having completed a residency is a strong credential. The medical degree by itself means next to nothing as the doctor may have cheated his way through classes and be less competent than the average nurse in every area.
If you listen carefully, you can hear his point going way over your head.
For the last time
Old 04-30-2013, 23:16   #10
Ronny
Good Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
If you listen carefully, you can hear his point going way over your head.
Nah, we have a difference of opinion. I do not consider degrees valuable in themselves for anything at all. It is only the perception of degrees by others that lends them any usefulness. I have an accounting degree and got a job. Without it I could have knowledge far surpassing that learned in the degree program. The only thing the degree says about you is that you have one.

Last edited by Ronny; 04-30-2013 at 23:17..
Ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:19   #11
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

No, a degree says much more than that.
For the last time
Old 04-30-2013, 23:19   #12
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:

Brother....for every Michelangelo or Bill Gates....there are thousands who need to show up to class.

BTW, as someone with a lot of degrees, in various subjects (Physics, Math, Criminal Justice, Religion...) I can tell you, I wouldnt know what I do without them.

As a man married to a Surgeon...you dont know how that works either.

You lack an understanding of math. Something that I know better than most...and only because someone, in a university taught me.

Old 04-30-2013, 23:23   #13
Altaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
So, in terms of College degrees...
What do you think are:
The most Impressive?
The most useless?
The oddest?

The most Impressive:
Anything Physics....theoretical, astro, quantum, etc...
The difficulty of the degree, and practical application in the fundamental advancement of humankind are what make it impressive to me.

The most useless:
Kinesiology. That is something easy that the jocks take in order to maintain good enough grades to play on their sports teams.

The oddest:
I forget the exact name, but it was something like 'turf management'. My friend got a degree that is basically all about taking care of grass. It seems odd, but anytime you complain about the crappy field at a NFL game, or praise how green the grass is at the Masters, it is people like him that are in charge of that.
Altaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:25   #14
Ronny
Good Guy

Quote:
Brother....for every Michelangelo or Bill Gates....there are thousands who need to show up to class.

BTW, as someone with a lot of degrees, in various subjects (Physics, Math, Criminal Justice, Religion...) I can tell you, I wouldnt know what I do without them.

As a man married to a Surgeon...you dont know how that works either.

You lack an understanding of math. Something that I know better than most...and only because someone, in a university taught me.
You got that right, I lack an understanding of math. I ended up with a c in calc 1 which was all my major required. Your wife being a surgeon you should know best that practical experience combined with a thorough understanding is what matters. No scrap of paper can impart that. It might recognize it with a license or privileges but it can never create it.
Old 04-30-2013, 23:27   #15
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Nah, we have a difference of opinion. I do not consider degrees valuable in themselves for anything at all. It is only the perception of degrees by others that lends them any usefulness. I have an accounting degree and got a job. Without it I could have knowledge far surpassing that learned in the degree program. The only thing the degree says about you is that you have one.
I learned and did things in College that I could have never picked up on my own...in spite of the fact that a handfull of people in history could have.

People who have been through the education I have been through know this truth. That is why the degree(s) have value.

Lets even be more specific. A doctor.

In theory, some people (not many) could *learn* that knowledge if they had a list of books to read....but without actually going to medical school, they wont have the wicked specific hands on that one can only get in medical school. Such as, you are not going to be able to perform procedures, under the supervision of well vetted experts, any place else.

My wife was putting her hand inside of living people in medical school. You cant get that down at the library or through Google.

The people who supervised her doing such things are the same ones who would tell other well vetted experts that *This* person (my wife) should be allowed to do ever more (be accepted into an ultra competitive specialty as a resident to learn and do more and eventually become a vetted expert in her own right)

College isnt just knowledge. It is often a system and a network that you cant get on your own. Again, that is the very definition of value.

Last edited by Rabbi; 04-30-2013 at 23:31..
Old 04-30-2013, 23:28   #16
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
You got that right, I lack an understanding of math. I ended up with a c in calc 1 which was all my major required. Your wife being a surgeon you should know best that practical experience combined with a thorough understanding is what matters. No scrap of paper can impart that. It might recognize it with a license or privileges but it can never create it.
So do you want the guy with the degree and associated knowledge/experience cutting on you, or the guy who says "sure thing bro, I've done this, like, a hundred times" as he wipes cheeto dust off of his chin?
For the last time
Old 04-30-2013, 23:29   #17
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
You need to read the post I just posted. I dont think you understand how it actually works.

Pedagogy isnt just information.

Old 04-30-2013, 23:41   #18
Riverkilt

A few years back I was elected to sit on our local hospital district's board of directors. A guy applied for a vacancy and his resume' said he had a doctorate from Columbia State University in Louisiana. It had been years since the FBI shut them down as a diploma mill and since Sixty Minutes did an expose'...but I remembered. A useless degree is one from a diploma mill.

I have a master's degree - needed that credential to test for professional licensure in my state. Must have picked up some knowledge in that process because I seem to enjoy dating women who have a master's degree...we can talk and exchange ideas instead of watching the tube.

I got lucky. Someone told me graduate school was a lot easier than undergrad. They were right. I had fun getting that masters. Well worth it in financial return too. Right or wrong my salary went way up.

Glock 42...somewhere you can't see
Riverkilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 23:52   #19
Ronny
Good Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
So do you want the guy with the degree and associated knowledge/experience cutting on you, or the guy who says "sure thing bro, I've done this, like, a hundred times" as he wipes cheeto dust off of his chin?
lol at the visualization. Medicine is more of a trade than a degree imo. Hands on learning is whats important with it. It would be like learning mechanics without touching a car, it wouldn't work at all to be able to describe how pistons work and not be able to work on anything. Most degrees are just an accumulation of knowledge or could be done on a computer, like mine is. Book learning whether done for a degree or not is the same thing. My college experience was one I'd repeat only because of the social life of being a college kid and the slip of paper I got. I could have easily learned all that slip of paper said and more without ever stepping foot inside a classroom. That's what people don't realize. The only value of a degree is the degree itself. Otherwise people would learn things on their own and save their cash.
Old 04-30-2013, 23:56   #20
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
lol at the visualization. Medicine is more of a trade than a degree imo. Hands on learning is whats important with it. It would be like learning mechanics without touching a car, it wouldn't work at all to be able to describe how pistons work and not be able to work on anything. Most degrees are just an accumulation of knowledge or could be done on a computer, like mine is. Book learning whether done for a degree or not is the same thing. My college experience was one I'd repeat only because of the social life of being a college kid and the slip of paper I got. I could have easily learned all that slip of paper said and more without ever stepping foot inside a classroom. That's what people don't realize. The only value of a degree is the degree itself. Otherwise people would learn things on their own and save their cash.
You have a business degree. In general, you can get those pretty easy in the hierarchy of degrees.

You do NOT understand how all degrees work. Your posts prove that. There are simply some things that most people cant pick up on their own and again, even if someone could, there is a hands on system that is part of the degree.

...and you are oversimplifying medicine. Again, few people can even begin to understand how complex some aspects of medicine are. For example, the knowledge base (all that book learning) that a Surgeon must have, as they operate (hands on) in pretty unparalleled in just about all human endeavors. You not only have to know the amazingly complex thing you set out to do....but the incalcuable amount of things that *could* happen and then you would also have to do.

Again, you learn these thing over the course of many intense years of formal training. You dont and cant learn them on your own.

Last edited by Rabbi; 05-01-2013 at 00:01..
Old 04-30-2013, 23:57   #21
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Ok, minus the cheeto dust, which would you pick, the guy with a dozen frames filled with medical degrees, certifications, and licenses or the guy with frames filled with "I have tons of hands-on experience!" certificates that he printed out at his house?
For the last time
Old 04-30-2013, 23:57   #22
silentpoet

Screw that.(my original post was ill timed)

I want a degree from Buster Burger University. Bonus points for anybody who gets the reference.

Last edited by silentpoet; 04-30-2013 at 23:59..
silentpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 00:01   #23
Ronny
Good Guy

Quote:
You have a business degree. In general, you can get those pretty easy in the hierarchy of degrees.

You do NOT understand how all degrees work. Your posts prove that. There are simply some things that most people cant pick up on their own and again, even if someone could, there is a hands on system that is part of the degree.
Maybe thats part of the problem. Degrees are so common now everyone has one. The standards are also far too low. I'd have more respect for someone with a high school diploma from iceland than someone with a business or arts degree in the US, knowing what the standards are for each. Here in the US it's just the new (expensive) diploma.
Old 05-01-2013, 00:05   #24
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Maybe thats part of the problem. Degrees are so common now everyone has one. The standards are also far too low. I'd have more respect for someone with a high school diploma from iceland than someone with a business or arts degree in the US, knowing what the standards are for each. Here in the US it's just the new (expensive) diploma.
Not all degrees are the same...and market forces prove that. (I.E. Value)

ChemE guy gets 10 job offers and will be making 6 figures a few years after graduation if not AT graduation. BA in Sociology guy either keeps working at Subway or learns to sell Insurance.

I really dont know why you cant understand this.

Last edited by Rabbi; 05-01-2013 at 00:05..
Old 05-01-2013, 00:07   #25
Ronny
Good Guy

>>>>>>...and you are oversimplifying medicine. Again, few people can even begin to understand how complex some aspects of medicine are. For example, the knowledge base (all that book learning) that a Surgeon must have, as the opperate (hands on) in pretty unparalleled in just about all human endeavors. You not only have to know the amazingly complex thing you set out to do....but the incalcuable amount of things that *could* happen and then you would also have to do.

I approve of the way they do medical training in India far more than the American way. There a student will learn the necessary background book learning and then learn what they need to know to practice medicine. Here someone will learn the background they need as well as womens studies, basket weaving in theory and practice, and on on before they ever are allowed to even start learning what's practical to practice medicine. The entire US education system is very poor and very expensive compared with other models. My .2 cents having been through it and honestly comparing it it to other ways of teaching.
Ronny is offline   Reply With Quote