ain't no one

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandscuba View Post
American Custom Ammo
Crestview, FL
(850)689-4553

Is offering these "meat hammers" in 460 Rowland:

Utilizing BEARTOOTH conventional bullets BNH-21 (.451):
300 gr. "Fat Boy" - Extra Hard Cast, Lead - WFN/GC; $135.00 per 100 rounds, Brass Cases.
325 gr. "Super Fat Boy" - Extra Hard Cast Lead - WFN/GC; $139.00 per 100 rounds, Brass Cases.
I realize hard cast is great, extra hard cast should be even better!
OldSchool64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 22:11   #22
GRT45
Transform & Win

Quote:
American Custom Ammo
Crestview, FL
(850)689-4553
Thanks for the tip on this 460R ammo source. This is a new one for me.

http://americancustom.tripod.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
: Strictly monogamous, I have one Glock and one woman.
GLOCK Certified Armorer,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Member,
Endowment Member, Eagle Scout

Last edited by GRT45; 05-03-2013 at 22:12..
GRT45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 22:12   #23
blastfact

Can you rapid fire at 25 yards like this?

The 10 Ring

Bigger aint always better.
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 22:27   #24
dougader

Quote:
American Custom Ammo
Crestview, FL
(850)689-4553

Is offering these "meat hammers" in 460 Rowland:

Utilizing BEARTOOTH conventional bullets BNH-21 (.451):
300 gr. "Fat Boy" - Extra Hard Cast, Lead - WFN/GC; $135.00 per 100 rounds, Brass Cases.
325 gr. "Super Fat Boy" - Extra Hard Cast Lead - WFN/GC; $139.00 per 100 rounds, Brass Cases.
Like I asked, what are you going to shoot besides paper? I mean, fun is fun, but is there anything more to this besides cool (not that cool isn't more than enough)?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

"In St. Louis, armed Homeland Security agents monitored Tea Party members protesting the IRS. Good idea. When people think their government is out to get them, the best response is to send the government out to get them." -Fred Thompson
dougader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 22:28   #25
misfit356tsw

Quote:
I stepped up to a Man's cartridge -- 460 Rowland!
For a second when you said "manly" I thought you stepped up to the .45 Winchester Magnum, the true manly cartridge but then I saw only 1600 fps in a 185 grain, when the .45 Win Mag can achieve that in a 230 grain.

http://www.underwoodammo.com/45winch...etboxof50.aspx

Just ribbing you a bit. Good luck and enjoy.
mrsmisfit on the Sewing Forum: You know what really irks me today my husband said again that he doesn't like vanilla ice cream. He keeps saying it and it hurts my feelings! I'm sick and tired of doing his dishes and he wont even rinse them out first!
misfit356tsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 22:33   #26
flyandscuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougader View Post
Like I asked, what are you going to shoot besides paper? I mean, fun is fun, but is there anything more to this besides cool (not that cool isn't more than enough)?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
It will be a hog buster/hunting sidearm.
Old 05-03-2013, 22:36   #27
flyandscuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfact View Post
Can you rapid fire at 25 yards like this?

Bigger aint always better.
Yeah...not a problem...

The 10 Ring

Can you split a playing card -- edge-wise?

The 10 Ring

Twice in a row?

The 10 Ring

Old 05-03-2013, 22:59   #28
blastfact

Quote:
Yeah...not a problem...

The 10 Ring

Can you split a playing card -- edge-wise?

The 10 Ring

Twice in a row?

The 10 Ring

Good shooting! What kinda distance with the compact card cutter?
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:29   #29
98LS-WON

I've benn debating this conversion. Is it a valid Bear Gun as in going to go live in Alaska, do some hiking and take this w/ me into the wood. I'd rather have dual purpose pistol I can use than a 5 lb revolver unless that's what it's going to take.
98LS-WON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:13   #30
Any Cal.

Some guys in AK use 10mm and .357 for bear guns... a .460 Rowland would work about as well as those if you used the 255g+ bullets. Nothing close to a .44mag and up, but can weigh less if you don't load the magazine to capacity. A Redhawk weighs 46-49oz for 4 or 5 1/2" bbl, the G20 28 oz w/out mag, add 4.8oz for longslide and a couple for the comp. A Super Redhawk Alaskan weighs 44oz. So conceivably a G20 could save a lb if compared to a 5.5" Redhawk, or a tricked out longslide could save 8 oz over a .454 Casull Alaskan. Whether the weight savings are worth the big reduction in power are personal preference. It looks like the Alaskan pushes a 360g bullet @ 1200+, compared to 255 @ 1200 for the Rowland. You have to decide if you are better off with a few powerful shots or more with less power.
Any Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:18   #31
flyandscuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfact View Post
Good shooting! What kinda distance with the compact card cutter?
12-15 feet.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 05-04-2013, 07:38   #32
GRT45
Transform & Win

Quote:
No loctite required -- the LW compensator has an allen screw to lock the comp onto the barrel.
Subjectively, by just looking at a photo of the LWD compensator it looks lighter compared to the comp. from 460 Rowland, LLC. Do you agree? Would you use the LWD comp. on the G30 460R (if the threads are compatible)?

It also appears there is much more open port area for the LWD comp. Do you sense any difference in combustion product exhaust reaching the shooter or noise level between the two comps?

GLOCK Certified Armorer,
Member,

Last edited by GRT45; 05-04-2013 at 07:43..
Old 05-04-2013, 08:12   #33
flyandscuba

To me, the LW comp is superior in design, fit & finish - compared to what is supplied from 460rowland.com

The LW comp is similar to a "tank brake" type of comp you'd see on a 50BMG rifle.

Gas is directed out of each side at an angle in addition to upward - whereas the 460rowland.com focuses purely upward.

I can't compare noise - as I was wearing active hearing protection.

I would like to get another LW comp to try on my G30 conversion - the thread patterns are identical.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:36   #34
GRT45
Transform & Win

My greatest concern about the LWD comp. for the G30 460R conversion is the weight. I'm very reluctant to reduce the total mass of slide plus barrel & comp at lockup for the G30. I suspect the G30 460R is on the ragged edge of sufficient mass to adequately delay unlocking with enough time for pressure in the barrel to drop. I wouldn't be as concerned for a G21 barrel or extended length barrel due to the greater mass of the barrel.

GLOCK Certified Armorer,
Member,

Last edited by GRT45; 05-08-2013 at 15:03..
Old 05-04-2013, 08:41   #35
flyandscuba

No worries - the difference in weight of the two comps is negligible.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:08   #36
RMM

How much does that setup weight with the long slide, compensator, and empty magazine?

Do the 13 round mags work reliably with all 13 rounds? I've read several accounts that they don't. Many needed to run double mag springs which effectively reduced the capacity. However, I don't think that any of those were long slides so the extra slide mass may slow things down enough for that next round to pop up into place.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:08   #37
GRT45
Transform & Win

Quote:
No worries - the difference in weight of the two comps is negligible.
LOL - Maybe no worrries for a guy that tests 45 Super in a stock G30S for gosh sake! You're a wildman! They should put barrier/caution tape around anyone shooting 45 Super with a G30S at public ranges.

GLOCK Certified Armorer,
Member,

Last edited by GRT45; 05-04-2013 at 12:03..
Old 05-04-2013, 10:19   #38
ModGlock17

Quote:
I stepped up to a Man's cartridge -- 460 Rowland!

Definitely 44 Magnum territory!

Congrats on the new toy! Is it easier to get ammo supply for it, nowadays ?

BTW, the guys and gals at 50AE may disagree with you on the manliness issue. But with them, I'd just point out the 12 gauge 1 ounce slug going at 1,600fps on a semiautomatic. There's always a bigger fish in the ocean.
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:35   #39
dougader

I think it's a very cool conversion. I have the 45 Super set up on my G21sf with just a 6" ported barrel. I think either are fine for deer, elk and black bear. I would not, however, think it sufficient for Alaskan Brown bear.

My buddy in AK calls me bearanoid, but I take stiff 45 Colt and 454 when I fish up there, and I'd feel even better with 475 or 500 Linebaugh. I only discount the 500 S&W because I can't afford an arms bearer.

My grizz/brownie load is a Cast Performance 335 grain WLNGC at 1200 - 1400 fps. I had an SRH Alaskan, but deemed the velocity loss unacceptable for all the recoil and muzzle blast... from 1430 fps down to 1174 fps. So a Ruger SRH 7-1/2" is what I take north now. I think if Ruger made an Alaskan with a 4" - 5" barrel it would be perfect. I've owned the Ruger Redhawk and just don't like it. I consider the SRH a much better tool.

As far as 10mm goes, I think it's a great crossover, or multi-purpose gun. You can use it for PD/SD/HD and for hunting. The 45 Super can be in the same category. I would not use a Rowland for SD unless I was out hunting and that's all I had.

"In St. Louis, armed Homeland Security agents monitored Tea Party members protesting the IRS. Good idea. When people think their government is out to get them, the best response is to send the government out to get them." -Fred Thompson

Last edited by dougader; 05-04-2013 at 11:37..
dougader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:21   #40
GRT45
Transform & Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougader View Post
As far as 10mm goes, I think it's a great crossover, or multi-purpose gun. You can use it for PD/SD/HD and for hunting. The 45 Super can be in the same category. I would not use a Rowland for SD unless I was out hunting and that's all I had.
I completely agree about the 460R's dubious role for SD carry. I personally only carry it for woods protection and during travel to and from the outback. The pistol is converted back to 45ACP immediately for urban carry. For that matter, the same goes for my gal's 10mm conversion. Her G30SF is a 45ACP pistol in the city.

I don't think you are being "bearanoid" at all when it comes to brown bears. Nothing that can be shot from a Glock (native or converted caliber) can be relied upon to stop a nearby, charging mama grizzly defending her cubs (big difference between stopping a lethal charge versus eventually killing). If a 460R was the only thing I had in that dire situation, so be it, but I'd be inclined to save the last bullet for myself.

GLOCK Certified Armorer,
Member,

Last edited by GRT45; 05-04-2013 at 13:18..