Con: its for girls.
Old 05-05-2013, 13:07   #42
Delmonte67
Glock 40 cal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakrat View Post
Pro: small pistol.

My summertime carry pistol is not an extension of my ***** like it is for some guys-kinda like my "short" neighbor who is like 5' tall and drives his huge Hummer to make up for his "short man syndrome" we all get a laugh in the allotment when he drives by-lol. Gotta go- my tampon needs changing!

Last edited by Delmonte67; 05-05-2013 at 13:47..
Delmonte67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 13:36   #43
PhotoFeller

Quote:

Sounds like you wouldn't mind taking a couple .380 slugs in the chest at 10'. Let us know how that works out for you.
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 13:40   #44
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

Quote:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 13:47   #45
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmonte67 View Post
My summer pistol is not an extension of my ***** like it is for some guys-kinda like my "short" neighbor who is like 5' tall and drives his huge Hummer to make up for his "short man syndrome" we all get a laugh in the allotment when he drives by-lol. Gotta go- my tampon needs changing!
You need look no farther than his user title, which is a big johnson, to see where he's coming from. For anybody not aware, that's what that is. The 8 is the testicles, the D is the head, and the = are the shaft.

User title: 8========D

Such is the state of Glock talk.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 05-05-2013 at 13:50..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 13:51   #46
fredj338

Quote:
Think about it- 223, 556 ammo in an M16 has killed ALOT of people over the years and its basically a .22 round suped up, I surely was'nt issued a 50 Cal in the "Sandbox" or my dad in Vietnam. I guess a foot of penetration through 4 layers of denim with full expansion is'nt enough for some people :rolleyes:
This shows a tremendous lack of understanding wound ballistics. FWIW, just because a LEA issues something doesn't mean much. If you need your BUG, you need it badly & a 380, IMO, just ain't getting it done. Again, shorts or not, there are micro 9mm that are easier to shoot & more effective.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 05-05-2013 at 13:52..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 13:55   #47
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg17 View Post
carried big guns for a long time, then slowly started carrying less and less and then not at all. figured the odds of me needing a gun where pretty slim. Survived a lot of violent situations without a gun. Bought a ruger LCP 380 now I carry everywhere again.

LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 13:56   #48
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
Question: Have you ever worn a helmet or harness while driving a car?

I hear people throw this out there a lot, and so far the people doing so haven't had any idea what they were talking about.

* Helmets reduce visibility and your ability to hear. In a race car you generally aren't concerned with hearing anything unless it's through a headset you are wearing under the helmet (spotter/crew chief/whatever). Out on the road you are going to want to be able to hear other cars, horns, sirens of emergency vehicles, people's voices, etc. And visibility matters.

* One of the reasons passenger car seat belts are normally loose, and the tensioners only lock the belt up when the car senses the potential need (higher G forces from braking, turning, an impact, whatever) is that it is important to be able to lean forward, sideways, etc, so that you can look around when necessary.

All of that might very well make you less safe by increasing your chances of being involved in an accident, and might make other people less safe by increasing the chances that you run into them or pull out in front of them.

Driving on public roads and driving on a race track are two entirely different things
This seems way off topic, but think about the vulnerability of passengers in your vehicle.

Given the high risk of a traffic accident, don't your family members deserve the best protection money can buy? Are seat belts and air bags (the equivalent of carrying .380) enough in the event of a serious crash? Or should we spend extra bucks to provide head gear of some sort and/or seat harnesses (the equivalent of carrying something bigger than .380)?

Let the driver be vulnerable, if necessary, but protect the precious cargo with safety equipment commensurate with the risk.

How did I get to this side street, anyway?

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 05-05-2013 at 13:58..
Old 05-05-2013, 14:02   #49
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
This seems way off topic, but think about the vulnerability of passengers in your vehicle.

Given the high risk of a traffic accident, don't your family members deserve the best protection money can buy? Are seat belts and air bags (the equivalent of carrying .380) enough in the event of a serious crash? Or should we spend extra bucks to provide head gear of some sort and/or seat harnesses (the equivalent of carrying something bigger than .380)?

Let the driver be vulnerable, if necessary, but protect the precious cargo with safety equipment commensurate with the risk.

How did I get to this side street, anyway?
Show me the data, research, and real world results that demonstrate, without question, that these steps you are suggesting do what you claim.

I also disagree with your analogy, RE: What safety measures are the equivalent of carrying a .380...and it is not very accurate to lump all "airbags" in together. That's kind of like lumping all "handguns" into one category, IMO.

I might say that a driver and front seat passenger front airbag, and no others, is the equivalent to .380...and that a vehicle with 6 or 8 airbags, from the front and the side and the head curtain thing, for front and back seat passengers, is equivalent to carrying a an honest service caliber handgun.

Both of our vehicles have the full compliment of airbags.

Oh, and the SIZE of the vehicle matters, the small cars are never going to be as safe as the larger vehicles. Kinda like firearm/cartridge effectiveness.

Our primary vehicle weighs 5,700 pounds, and our secondary is, It hink, at least 4,400...but is set to be replaced by something 1,000 pounds heavier, as soon as we can afford it. Remember, those NHTSA safety star ratings are all relative to other vehicles in the same size category. A compact car that gets four stars is not as safe as a full size that gets 4 stars.

Also, I would argue that putting all of your passengers into a helmet and harness is far more of an inconvenience...and expense...than carrying a 9mm Luger instead of a .380

IMO we got down this side street because somebody threw out a half baked "analogy", that just plain isn't apt the way they claimed.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 05-05-2013 at 14:09..
Old 05-05-2013, 14:09   #50
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Show me the data, research, and real world results that demonstrate, without question, that these steps you are suggesting do what you claim.

I also disagree with your analogy, RE: What safety measures are the equivalent of carrying a .380...and it is not very accurate to lump all "airbags" in together. That's kind of like lumping all "handguns" into one category, IMO.

I might say that a driver and front seat passenger front airbag, and no others, is the equivalent to .380...and that a vehicle with 6 or 8 airbags, from the front and the side and the head curtain thing, for front and back seat passengers, is equivalent to carrying a an honest service caliber handgun.

Both of our vehicles have the full compliment of airbags.

Oh, and the SIZE of the vehicle matters, the small cars are never going to be as safe as the larger vehicles. Kinda like firearm/cartridge effectiveness.

Our primary vehicle weighs 5,700 pounds, and our secondary is, It hink, at least 4,400...but is set to be replaced by something 1,000 pounds heavier, as soon as we can afford it.

IMO we got down this side street because somebody threw out a half baked "analogy", that just plain isn't apt the way they claimed.
That's good enough for me. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2013, 14:13   #51
SCmasterblaster

I wouldn't mind having a .380 pocket pistol for my wintertime coat.
Old 05-05-2013, 15:05   #52
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
I wouldn't mind having a .380 pocket pistol for my wintertime coat.
Would you choose that over a .38spl +P 5 shot snub nose revolver? If so, why?

Old 05-05-2013, 15:15   #53
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

Quote:
Would you choose that over a .38spl +P 5 shot snub nose revolver? If so, why?
Perhaps weight, width, & capacity?

I can't help but notice your overwhelming hatred for the 380... Why so much hate?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Joshhtn; 05-05-2013 at 15:53..
Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 15:18   #54
CharlestonG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg17 View Post
What I'm talking about is that you will be fine with a .380 and in my situation and in most peoples situation the odds of actually using your gun are so small that it does not justify carrying a bigger gun. To each his own.

Pros: compact, lightweight, can carry almost all the time

con: minimal stopping power, harder to shoot than a bigger gun.
Some years ago I decided to 'base my situation' on the possibility that I was seated in a restaurant when a lunatic walked in and decided to randomly open fire on the patrons. I sure as hell don't want to depend on 7 yard shooting skills and a Ruger LCP to save my *****.

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." Mahatma Gandhi
CharlestonG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 15:35   #55
Delmonte67
Glock 40 cal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
This shows a tremendous lack of understanding wound ballistics. FWIW, just because a LEA issues something doesn't mean much. If you need your BUG, you need it badly & a 380, IMO, just ain't getting it done. Again, shorts or not, there are micro 9mm that are easier to shoot & more effective.
Bro, I carry my 380 for the SIZE. Caliber Corner To HIDE in shorts while swinging a club, or sitting on a boat fishing very comfortably. I own several calibers of pistols- and I love them all, I love my G27 probably the most, but I have no problem with 380 as a self defense round in a close quarters confrontation. Hell -I would'nt want to get shot with a pellet gun repeatedly, I would probably turn and run myself. Trust me I looked at all the small 9's -most were still pretty much the SIZE and WEIGHT of my G27. Liked the super SMALL SIZE of the Bodyguard-THIN and LIGHTWEIGHT for SHORTS. Hey it comes down to what ya like and feel comfortable with- carry a 16" 44 mag if that makes you feel more comfortable - its America.

Last edited by Delmonte67; 05-05-2013 at 15:50..
Old 05-05-2013, 15:46   #56
Arvinator

After carrying a gun for 23 years I finally got my first .380 pistol. I've had little pocket pistols from .22LR, .25acp, and have had a .32 KelTec for about 10 years. Why the .380?
I carry a 9MM or larger off duty, issue .40 on duty but the pocket pistols serve as backup for off duty in light summer clothing. With a Glock 27 and spare mag off duty, the little pocket pistol rides in a pocket holster while wearing jeans, or in the rear pocket while wearing shorts. When the little Ruger LCP came out I waited for a few years to let any possible bugs get worked out. I keep the .32 in a desk drawer scattered with a few more handguns while at home and the .380 took it place. I selected the Remington 102 Grain Golden Sabers as carry ammo.
It's not as powerful (Or accurate) as one of .38 snubs, and I know that. While I know that no one caliber is a sure manstopper, I do think a few well placed .380 rounds if properly applied will motivate someone to stop his or her aggressive behavior.
Arvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 15:59   #57
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
I have no problem with 380 as a self defense round in a close quarters confrontation.
And if it isn't close quarters, well...you'll be wishing you had a "real" gun.

As the poster above says, somebody walks into the restaurant (or movie theater, or store, or whatever) and starts shooting...is a small .380 pocket gun what you want to have?

It would be better than nothing, absolutely, but as other posters hvae mentioned there are plenty of pretty small and slim 9x19 pistols if you really want something small/thin. And of course the venerable J-frame.

Old 05-05-2013, 16:28   #58
Delmonte67
Glock 40 cal.

Quote:
And if it isn't close quarters, well...you'll be wishing you had a "real" gun.

As the poster above says, somebody walks into the restaurant (or movie theater, or store, or whatever) and starts shooting...is a small .380 pocket gun what you want to have?

It would be better than nothing, absolutely, but as other posters hvae mentioned there are plenty of pretty small and slim 9x19 pistols if you really want something small/thin. And of course the venerable J-frame.
That's it damn it! Caliber Corner I'm carrying my AR15 in my golf bag-JUST IN CASE!!! There may be 10 assailants or the Koreans invade us while I'm on the 17th hole!!!!! Zombies !!! I'm sooo stupid!!! What was I thinking???!!!:p

Last edited by Delmonte67; 05-05-2013 at 16:36..
Old 05-05-2013, 16:31   #59
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm jealous that you can adequately and comfortably conceal a rifle all day every day, regardless of attire. Props!

Old 05-05-2013, 16:39   #60
Delmonte67
Glock 40 cal.

Quote:
I'm jealous that you can adequately and comfortably conceal a rifle all day every day, regardless of attire. Props!
Caliber Corner Caliber Corner I could actually fit my Sub2000 40 Cal. in my golf bag- it folds to 16"