GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-22-2013, 18:50   #1
Teecher45

Tarnish on leather/bullets, and rust on revolver.

Hi guys and gals, I am the lucky receipient of a Colt Python .357. It was my uncles and he passed and left his truck, Jeep, and revolver to his son. His son could not get down to pick them up, so I ended-up with them. The gun is great, shoots good. It has 2 small spots of rust on it. It's stainless, what would be good to try to get rid of the rust?
Also, it came in a leather holster and belt that has ammo loops sewn into it. The ammo loops has ammo in them and the ammo and leather around the ammo has a green growth on them. Is there anything made I can clean the leather and ammo with?
Thanks

Last edited by Teecher45; 05-22-2013 at 18:52..
Teecher45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 18:59   #2
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

The ammo may not be good any more (primer/powder rendered chemically kaput), but you can still polish it with some sort of cleaner.

Get some leather cleaning and lubricant to spiff up the leathers. Lexol makes great products for cleaning and oiling leathers.

As far as rust spots on the stainless steel surface, you can get some Blitz and fine steel wool and apply with some elbow grease.
Old 05-22-2013, 20:07   #3
Bruce M

I might start with some oil and a rag on the gun, and I would try leaving the leather in sunlight for a few hours and then maybe shoe polish.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 22:24   #4
DonD

The green crud is called verdigris, spelling might be wrong. And I agree with one of the prior posters that if the rounds have verdigris on them, I wouldn't trust them anymore. Pull the slugs and dispose of the powder.

I've heard that some brake fluid will remove the rust if it isn't too severe w/o having to use an abrasive. Good luck. Don
DonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 23:00   #5
Jim Watson

If the gun is truly stainless, the rust spots will rub off with oil and a coarse cloth.
If it is nickel plated, you may have permanent flaws even after rubbing off the rust spots.

The cartridges might clean up. If they are penetrated or pitted, trash them.

The main lesson is not to store your guns and ammo in leather.
Old 05-23-2013, 16:31   #6
WiskyT
Malcontent

If it's stainless, be careful with a polish like Flitz. Some stainless guns have a brushed finish and using a polish which has abrasives in it could make a bright spot where it is used. I would use 0000 steel wool, or even brass wool, with some gun oil and see how it does. Those shouldn't be string enough to change the gloss of the finish.

If you aren't sure if it's stainless, put a magnet on it. A magent won't stick, or will only be weakly attached, to stainless.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 13:29   #7
dajcarroll

With a gun of that value I'd have a hard time trying to fix it myself. Take it to someone who specializes in that. Is it really that bad? Pics?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
dajcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 13:53   #8
Jade Falcon
Gimmie TITANS!

Personally, I'd shell out the money to get the gun to a gunsmith. Have him look the gun over, get rid of the rust, and give it a clean bill of health.
Old 05-25-2013, 23:17   #9
Teecher45

Attachment 233550
It's not really that bad and of course doesn't hurt function. It cleaned up a little with oil and a brush.
A quick question for the experts, were all 6" pythons ported?
For the record, I don't store guns in leather, my uncle did before it was mine.

Last edited by Teecher45; 06-11-2013 at 17:10..
Old 05-25-2013, 23:45   #10
Teecher45

Attachment 233555
Normally I like my colts blued, but for the purpose I guess stainless is probably better.

Last edited by Teecher45; 06-11-2013 at 17:10..
Old 05-26-2013, 07:20   #11
dajcarroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teecher45 View Post
Attachment 233550
It's not really that bad and of course doesn't hurt function. It cleaned up a little with oil and a brush.
A quick question for the experts, were all 6" pythons ported?
For the record, I don't store guns in leather, my uncle did before it was mine.

Oh man, that's not bad at all! I could live with that. Definitely still wouldn't risk fixing it myself though, and making it worse than what it is. If you must have it gone... take it to a Smith. Yes, all Pythons are ported... Even the shorter ones. Guess I could be wrong, but I haven't seen one that isn't.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:31   #12
WiskyT
Malcontent

I've never seen a ported Python. I'm sure they exist. It could be factory porting, I don't know. Aftermarket porting like Magnaport was popular at the same time Python's were in their heyday.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:48   #13
dajcarroll

I guess by "porting" I was talking about the vent rib on top of the barrel. My guess is that's what he was talking about as well. I haven't seen a Python without it.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:24   #14
Sigobsessed

You can try a copper penny on the rust spots. It has to be an older penny that's really copper. You can scrape the rust off and the copper is soft enough that it doesn't harm the finish. This even works on blued and nickel finishes as well. I did not come up with this idea I was told about it at a gun show by an old gunsmith after I purchased a colt 1911 from an estate sale that was left in a holster in the basement for about 15yrs. It worked great on my gun. There was only surface rust and no pitting but it took the rust off leaving the original finish looking fine.