Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:15   #1
Ryan WA

.40 ammo for wilderness defense

With summer coming up I'm looking forward to hiking and camping, which I do around the Eastern Washington Northern Idaho area.

First summer with my gun and WA permit, which is also good in Idaho. I don't think my 165grain speer gold dots are the best option to protect against any wildlife that i may encounter that would try to attack me, possibly even a bear.

I was looking at options for ammo suitable for my needs that I can shoot from my Glock 27, its my only gun, so far. And I don't have the money to get another gun in a different caliber (at least I don't carry 9mm).

I was looking at http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...r7a1cjah5hria2

200 grains and advertised muzzle velocity from a Glock 27 is 1009fps. Would this be a good choice? How would the recoil feel compared to say 165grain ammo?
Ryan WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:21   #2
SCmasterblaster

I'd stick to the 180gr loading for SD in the woods.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:25   #3
Ryan WA

any specific round you would recommend. Its my understanding FMJ works best for wilderness protection is that accurate? Would just about any 180grain FMJ round be enough to stop a bear?
Old 05-11-2013, 12:30   #4
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan WA View Post
any specific round you would recommend. Its my understanding FMJ works best for wilderness protection is that accurate? Would just about any 180grain FMJ round be enough to stop a bear?
I wonder if there is a 180gr FMJ +p loading?

Yes, there is:

http://modernguns.com/buffalo-bore-a...80gr-fmj-fn-20

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 05-11-2013 at 12:34..
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 13:39   #5
man.cave

it is not likely you will stop a bear with a 40 anything, may just pi$$ him off. Most bears that I have encountered run the other way, but again, black bears are all I see. I do carry a 27, I just don't have faith in it concerning a bear. now for just about everything else, it should do its job. Mine has taken care of a few wild dogs.
man.cave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 14:29   #6
Ryan WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post

Yes, there is:

Idk how I would feel about using that. The Buffalo Bore website says Glock 40 cals don't have enough barrel support for the +p load. But then I read elsewhere, that has been improved over the years, and my 27 is a Gen 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man.cave View Post
it is not likely you will stop a bear with a 40 anything, may just pi$$ him off. Most bears that I have encountered run the other way, but again, black bears are all I see. I do carry a 27, I just don't have faith in it concerning a bear. now for just about everything else, it should do its job. Mine has taken care of a few wild dogs.
Fortunately never ran into a bear, and hope that i never do, but if I do and it does try to attack me, I want to know I have the ammo that will give me the best chance. Idk that any handgun can penetrate the bears body to its internal organs but a head shot *might* work.

Last edited by Ryan WA; 05-11-2013 at 14:31..
Old 05-11-2013, 14:38   #7
M 7

Quote:
With summer coming up I'm looking forward to hiking and camping, which I do around the Eastern Washington Northern Idaho area.

First summer with my gun and WA permit, which is also good in Idaho. I don't think my 165grain speer gold dots are the best option to protect against any wildlife that i may encounter that would try to attack me, possibly even a bear.

I was looking at options for ammo suitable for my needs that I can shoot from my Glock 27, its my only gun, so far. And I don't have the money to get another gun in a different caliber (at least I don't carry 9mm).

I was looking at http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...r7a1cjah5hria2

200 grains and advertised muzzle velocity from a Glock 27 is 1009fps. Would this be a good choice? How would the recoil feel compared to say 165grain ammo?
If the .40 is all that you have, the best you can do is go with the heaviest, fastest FMJFN that you can find. The 200 gr. HCFN from Buffalo Bore looks to be about your best bet. Get some bear-spray too- that stuff is fairly effective and gives you another option.

Last edited by M 7; 05-11-2013 at 14:39..
M 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 14:41   #8
countrygun

Quote:
Idk how I would feel about using that. The Buffalo Bore website says Glock 40 cals don't have enough barrel support for the +p load. But then I read elsewhere, that has been improved over the years, and my 27 is a Gen 4.

Fortunately never ran into a bear, and hope that i never do, but if I do and it does try to attack me, I want to know I have the ammo that will give me the best chance. Idk that any handgun can penetrate the bears body to its internal organs but a head shot *might* work.
Many handguns can reach a bears interior. In a frontal shot you also have the potential of damaging the shoulder joints as well as a head shot on that blur coming at you.

If a .40 is what you have load it with the 180 fmj it shoots best
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 16:59   #9
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post

Yes, there is:

Considering SAMMI has no specs for + P in 40 S&W,you may be purchasing Blue Sky.
I would also have a difficult time taking a manufacture seriously,that produces something for a use such as wild life defense with no SAMMI specs for that round. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 19:11   #10
vulcan71

A 40 S&W will not be the ideal caliber choice against bears but it is better then nothing. If you do encounter a bear consider your options and if you need to use the firearm shot placement is key and you will most likely need many shots so expect to empty your clip. The type of bullet needed is a deep penetrating bullet for a bear and use the most powerful cartridge that can be safely fired in you pistol but you need a fully supported chamber for the powerful cartridges (+P). Contact Tim Sundles the owner of Buffalo Bore Ammunition regarding ammunition questions and even advice as he located in Montana and has many years of experience with bears. There is an article regarding bears on the website. Additional equipment I would bring is a really bright flash light that can blind and bear spray that can fog an area. The G27 has a barrel length of 3.42 inches so you will loose a lot of power from the 40 S&W and the standard capacity is 9 with a max of 17 with optional magazines.
Old 05-11-2013, 19:49   #11
Bilrus61

Get the 200 gr hardcast

The HP ammo might not give you the max penetration you need for what your wanting. I think the hardcast also will give a better straightline wound than the FMJ ammo. I've shot the 200 Hardcast and it was impressive out of my Glock 24. Glock says lead is a no no in their barrels but unless you shoot LOTS of it without cleaning I don't think it is a issue. My Glock 24 just got a shiny new KKM barrel in .40. Accuracy with the Doubletap load is excellent. One thing you could do, would be to get yourself a longer barrel that would fit your 27. Gives you more oomph and looks cool too.

That 200 gr. packs some recoil but if you being attacked by a bear it won't be noticeable I'm sure.

I shoot the 150 gr. Nosler from DT out of my G 24 and comes out at a smoking hot 1400 FPS for a whopping 650 foot pounds of energy in my G24.

Last edited by Bilrus61; 05-11-2013 at 19:52.. Reason: more info
Bilrus61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 20:00   #12
brokenprism

I do a lot of hiking and back country exploring but the threat of animals has never really concerned me. Pot growers and the isolation of off-road destinations make humans even more dangerous than they would be anywhere else. No one will call a cop if they hear gunfire and there aren't any witnesses. I know you're looking for advice about wildlife, so I'd say give them plenty of warning you're out there -- they don't want to deal with you. Make noise. Whistle, smell 'human' -- put cologne on, the wind will do the rest. Carry an air horn. Maybe a road flare -- fire and smoke might be your friends. Stay out of box canyons or anywhere you might inadvertently corner an animal. Approach water where there's lots of visibility up- and downstream. Travel populated trails (I know, against the goal of 'getting away from it all' but you really just need to get away from some, not all. : ) If you have to shoot a bear and you have ooportunity to aim, the face seems pretty vulnerable. Eyes, nose, muzzle. Seems a shame to contemplate. I'd feel better about dealing with a 'rational' animal in a defensive situation.

Last edited by brokenprism; 05-11-2013 at 20:01..
brokenprism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 20:03   #13
Shinesintx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilrus61 View Post
The HP ammo might not give you the max penetration you need for what your wanting. I think the hardcast also will give a better straightline wound than the FMJ ammo. I've shot the 200 Hardcast and it was impressive out of my Glock 24. Glock says lead is a no no in their barrels but unless you shoot LOTS of it without cleaning I don't think it is a issue. My Glock 24 just got a shiny new KKM barrel in .40. Accuracy with the Doubletap load is excellent. One thing you could do, would be to get yourself a longer barrel that would fit your 27. Gives you more oomph and looks cool too.

That 200 gr. packs some recoil but if you being attacked by a bear it won't be noticeable I'm sure.

I shoot the 150 gr. Nosler from DT out of my G 24 and comes out at a smoking hot 1400 FPS for a whopping 650 foot pounds of energy in my G24.
The G22 and G35 barrel won't fit, but he could go with a G23 barrel. Granted, someone other than Lone Wolf may make a longer barrel...I dunno, just trying to add to an excellent idea.
Old 05-11-2013, 23:07   #14
9mm +p+

The most dangerous animal in the woods walks on 2 legs, period. Load accordingly and use common sense and animlas will not bother you.
Old 05-12-2013, 00:30   #15
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by man.cave View Post

Friend of mine ended up with one of his in the house late at night. He carried a Glock 27. Worked perfectly well for him.

http://www.bear-hunting.com/news.cfm...NewsFlashID=76

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:50   #16
Teecher45

Load the 27 as usual.
Buy bear spray.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:13   #17
Adamz04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teecher45 View Post
Load the 27 as usual.
Buy bear spray.
I agree here.
I carry bear spray as a first option when I'm hiking and a sidearm as a backup option. From what I've read the bear spray is much more effective on black bears than pistols. It's only around 30$.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:23   #18
barth
six barrels

Use hunting ammo when dealing with wild animals

Wild Animals are hard targets.
Penetration is king.
IMHO - Forget Hollow Points.
Always use hard cast hunting loads.
Examples:
40 S&W 200gr. WFNGC 50rds $45.96
Deep Penetrating and hard-hitting! This load offer both for woods and hunting applications.
990fps 435 ft/lbs from a 3.5"bbl.
http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=210
Caliber Corner
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=347
40 S&W OUTDOORSMAN Standard Pressure, Low Flash Ammo - 200 gr. Hard Cast Flat Nose (1,000 fps) - 20 Round Box
Due to customer requests,
here is our new “Outdoorsman” 200gr.
hard cast flat nosed 40 S&W standard pressure load.
We’ve designed this deep penetrating load for use
against wild animals where large bones such as a black bears
shoulders or skull may need to be penetrated
Caliber Corner

Last edited by barth; 05-12-2013 at 08:38..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:51   #19
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:
Fortunately never ran into a bear, and hope that i never do, but if I do and it does try to attack me, I want to know I have the ammo that will give me the best chance.
I've run into several bears in that area & others and it's really no big deal. Just be 'bear aware' in your hiking and camping activities. BTW- a can (or 2a) of bear spray will be more effective than anything from your pistol.
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:43   #20
Ryan WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
I've run into several bears in that area & others and it's really no big deal. Just be 'bear aware' in your hiking and camping activities. BTW- a can (or 2a) of bear spray will be more effective than anything from your pistol.
I've never had problems is past years fortunately because I was unarmed then. I just want to make sure for the future if it become necessary I have the round that will do the job.