SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:22   #1
Flintlocker

Gates: Some Benghazi critics have "cartoonish" view of military capability

http://www.kbzk.com/news/gates-some-...ry-capability/

"Frankly, had I been in the job at the time, I think my decisions would have been just as theirs were," said Gates, now the chancellor of the College of William and Mary.

"We don't have a ready force standing by in the Middle East, and so getting somebody there in a timely way would have been very difficult, if not impossible." he explained.

Suggestions that we could have flown a fighter jet over the attackers to "scare them with the noise or something," Gates said, ignored the "number of surface to air missiles that have disappeared from [former Libyan leader] Qaddafi's arsenals."

"I would not have approved sending an aircraft, a single aircraft, over Benghazi under those circumstances," he said.

Another suggestion posed by some critics of the administration, to, as Gates said, "send some small number of special forces or other troops in without knowing what the environment is, without knowing what the threat is, without having any intelligence in terms of what is actually going on on the ground, would have been very dangerous."

"It's sort of a cartoonish impression of military capabilities and military forces," he said. "The one thing that our forces are noted for is planning and preparation before we send people in harm's way, and there just wasn't time to do that."
Flintlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:35   #2
DonGlock26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintlocker View Post

"We don't have a ready force standing by in the Middle East, and so getting somebody there in a timely way would have been very difficult, if not impossible." he explained.

Suggestions that we could have flown a fighter jet over the attackers to "scare them with the noise or something," Gates said, ignored the "number of surface to air missiles that have disappeared from [former Libyan leader] Qaddafi's arsenals."

"I would not have approved sending an aircraft, a single aircraft, over Benghazi under those circumstances," he said.

Another suggestion posed by some critics of the administration, to, as Gates said, "send some small number of special forces or other troops in without knowing what the environment is, without knowing what the threat is, without having any intelligence in terms of what is actually going on on the ground, would have been very dangerous."

"It's sort of a cartoonish impression of military capabilities and military forces," he said. "The one thing that our forces are noted for is planning and preparation before we send people in harm's way, and there just wasn't time to do that."
Addressing the article:

Lie, the ready force was ordered to stand down.

Quote:
FOREIGN EMERGENCY SUPPORT TEAM (FEST)
The Foreign Emergency Support Team (FEST) is the U.S. government’s only interagency, on-call, short-notice team poised to respond to terrorist incidents worldwide. The FEST deploys to assist and advise the U.S. Chief of Mission in assessing crises and coordinating U.S. government crisis response activities. The FEST includes representatives from the Department of State, Department of Defense, the Intelligence Community, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and other appropriate agencies, such as Department of Energy, as circumstances warrant. FEST composition is flexible and tailored to the specific incident and U.S. Embassy needs. The FEST provides specialized crisis response expertise to augment existing U.S. Mission and host government capabilities.

http://www.state.gov/j/ct/programs/index.htm#FEST
We attacked Libya with air power in 2011 and flew planes in and out of Libya as a matter of routine.

Ok, we don't send in any air support because why?

Yeah, that's what rapid response teams do.

You don't always have time to plan raid, when you are responding to a surprise enemy attack. This hack is simply trying to protect the administration.

Last edited by DonGlock26; 05-12-2013 at 11:42..
DonGlock26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:42   #3
DonGlock26

Quote:
By SHARYL ATTKISSON / CBS NEWS/ November 1, 2012, 6:02 PM

Sources: Key task force not convened during Benghazi consulate attack

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-...sulate-attack/
Game, set, match.

BTW-Attkisson has been harassed by CBS News for being too aggressive at getting to the truth of what happened in Benghazi and the aftermath.

Last edited by DonGlock26; 05-12-2013 at 11:44..
Old 05-12-2013, 11:43   #4
Flintlocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonGlock26 View Post
Lie, the ready force was ordered to stand down.

One member of the quick reaction force died at the CIA compound.

Try not failing so hard next time you start speaking out of your arse.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:45   #5
DonGlock26

Quote:

Source?
Old 05-12-2013, 11:47   #6
Barcroft

One thing that seems curious to me is that discussions of response seem to center on Aviano, Italy and the forces there.
Did we not have carriers in the Med?
Seems that they would have been a lot closer, if they were indeed there.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:48   #7
Spymaster

Quote:
Game, set, match.

BTW-Attkisson has been harassed by CBS News for being too aggressive at getting to the truth of what happened in Benghazi and the aftermath.

That's because Attkissons boss "David," is Obama speechwriter "Ben Rhodes" brother, and the president of CBS!

Last edited by Spymaster; 05-12-2013 at 11:50..
Spymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:49   #8
Spymaster

Quote:

You want to ante up a source for this tidbit?
Spymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:55   #9
DonGlock26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcroft View Post
One thing that seems curious to me is that discussions of response seem to center on Aviano, Italy and the forces there.
Did we not have carriers in the Med?
Seems that they would have been a lot closer, if they were indeed there.
I have heard no mention of naval assets at all. I'm waiting for that to come out.

I'd also like to know where did the drone come from? Why wasn't to armed? Were armed drones available and ordered to stand down too? If there were armed drones available and they were not used to save American lives, then Obama resignation is assured.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:55   #10
DonGlock26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spymaster View Post
That's because Attkissons boss "David," is Obama speechwriter "Ben Rhodes" brother, and the president of CBS!
Incest between the media and the political elite is rampant in Washington.

Last edited by DonGlock26; 05-12-2013 at 11:56..
Old 05-12-2013, 11:59   #11
Flintlocker

Quote:
Source?
This is common knowledge and can be found from numerous credible sources, but probably not the disinformation factories that you pay attention to: His name was Glen Doherty.

Quote:
Various web sites that aggregated the Fox report on Oct. 26 bear witness to the difference in the story. The upshot: When Fox originally published its exclusive on Benghazi, it put Glen Doherty, a former Navy SEAL who was assisting with security in Libya, at the CIA annex as part of the team that mounted the initial response to the attack.

Gigantic problem with that assertion: Doherty was nowhere near Benghazi at the time that the attackers first assailed the dipolomatic mission. He was in Tripoli, more than 600 miles away, and would reach the CIA annex many hours later, just in time to participate in the pre-dawn battle that claimed his life.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...5445_blog.html
Old 05-12-2013, 12:03   #12
Flintlocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spymaster View Post
You want to ante up a source for this tidbit?
I guess it's no surprise that this is news to the wingnuts out there. Right wing news and blogs have no interest in the truth... they make their money by winding you up and sending you off on emotional tirades.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:05   #13
DonGlock26

Quote:
This is common knowledge and can be found from numerous credible sources, but probably not the disinformation factories that you pay attention to: His name was Glen Doherty.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...5445_blog.html
You seem to have painted yourself into a corner.

Your OP source made this claim:

Quote:

Yet, you claimed this:

Quote:

So which is it? You can't both be telling the truth.

Last edited by DonGlock26; 05-12-2013 at 12:06..
Old 05-12-2013, 12:11   #14
Flintlocker

Quote:
You seem to have painted yourself into a corner.

Your OP source made this claim:

Yet, you claimed this:

So which is it? You can't both be telling the truth.
Good lord, you can't be this dumb, can you?

So after you start calling out your hallucinations of lies and doing your little victory dance, you're going to try to make it a matter of semantics? Yeah, I guess you're that dumb.

Perhaps you should go read a timeline of events in Benghazi and inform yourself of what happened.

No matter how you try to skirt the issue, a quick reaction force was sent from Tripoli, more than 400 miles away from Benghazi. One of them died at the CIA compound. These are the facts. Just because you didn't, or don't, comprehend them has no bearing on the truth.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:22   #15
evlbruce

Got to love when Bush-haters defend Glorious Leader with Bushies and Bush equivocation.

"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzi

Last edited by evlbruce; 05-12-2013 at 13:22..
evlbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:23   #16
nursetim

I don't believe fl is lying. I believe has has been so indoctrinated in the cult of HWSNBN, that s/he can no longer differentiate between truth and propaganda.

Barring that, s/he is duplicitous in perpetuating the coverup of the murder of our citizens. Maybe s/he agrees with the, they were going to die one day anyway, what's the big deal? Theory that the extreme liberals (democrats) seem to favor.
nursetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:38   #17
Flintlocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursetim View Post
I don't believe fl is lying. I believe has has been so indoctrinated in the cult of HWSNBN, that s/he can no longer differentiate between truth and propaganda.

Barring that, s/he is duplicitous in perpetuating the coverup of the murder of our citizens. Maybe s/he agrees with the, they were going to die one day anyway, what's the big deal? Theory that the extreme liberals (democrats) seem to favor.
Propaganda? Here I go explaining what actually happened in Libya to people that largely seem unconcerned with the truth and it's propaganda... That's rich.

Here's another word for ya. Hypocrites. They're the kind of people that barely batted an eyelash after the President ignores months worth of intelligence warnings, one of which was entitled "Bin Laden determined to strike in US" and spend months hyperventilating over Benghazi. They're the kind of people that ignore the more than half dozen attacks on US diplomatic facilities that resulted in dozen of deaths during the previous administration and make Benghazi the biggest foreign policy disaster in the last 100 years. They're the kind of people that yawn when an administration has the Secretary of State present a series of provable lies about mobile weapons labs with the direct intent of starting the most expensive and unnecessary war in the history of the world and sit opining on their computers about how Obama's and Clinton's action in Benghazi amount to treason. Hypocrites.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:48   #18
Zombie Surgeon
MODELATOR

Quote:

"Frankly, had I been in the job at the time, I think my decisions would have been just as theirs were," said Gates, now the chancellor of the College of William and Mary.

Political Issues
Zombie Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:53   #19
Zombie Surgeon
MODELATOR

Quote:

Yeah, because the AAA and ground to air missile defensive capacity of a bunch of AlQuaeda morons if far superior to that of the entire regiments of specialized units who were defending Baghdad during the first days of the US invasion in Iraq.

Political Issues

Political Issues
Political Issues

Last edited by Zombie Surgeon; 05-12-2013 at 13:00..
Zombie Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:56   #20
Flintlocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Surgeon View Post
Political Issues
Hmm, who do I trust more? USAF officer, 26 year veteran of the CIA and NSC, Director of the CIA under GHWB and Secretary of Defense under GWB. Or some confused keyboard commandos trying to undermine a President they despise. It's a tough decision...

Last edited by Flintlocker; 05-12-2013 at 12:56..