Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-28-2013, 19:55   #1
China boy

Ouch! Maverick 88

Holy cow. My mossberg 88 kicks like a mule on steroids. I shot my mossberg 500 28" this weekend and did 100 rounds of sporting clays. My buddy complained of his shoulder hurting and I was like "what are you talking about? My shoulder doesn't bother me one bit."

So, I buy a NIB mossberg maverick 88 18.5" HD. I take it to the range and my first shot I was like holy ****! Huge and mean huge difference in kick. I know the maverick is lighter but wow. Now, I did use buck shot and slugs with the maverick and bird shot with the 500. But the difference was sooo much. I have shot slugs with the 500 with no problem. I'm sitting here with a sore shoulder from 15 rounds and wondering what I could do.

What stock could I buy to reduce the kick the kick of the maverick 88?

Is there anything else I can do to reduce the kick?

Last edited by China boy; 06-28-2013 at 21:34..
China boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 20:56   #2
Nestor
Lean & Mean

Buy Remington 870
Seriously though - only Vang Compensation modification and good recoil pad may help a bit, but for these You will pay more than for your shotgun.
So...we are back to 870 again

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 21:35   #3
China boy

Well I am tempted to buy a mossberg 500 short barrel and sell the maverick.
Old 06-28-2013, 21:37   #4
Slug71

Slip-on Limbsaver pad.
Bull Dawgs Club #571
Rimfire Club #571
Slug71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 23:50   #5
countrygun

You won't find a bit of difference between the 88 and a 500 in recoil and I am curious as to why you think you would????

Basically the same pump action, same weight, and same stock design. Those are the factors that most affect recoil from the gun perspective. recoil pad and Vangcomp as accessories/modifications.

You are left with the ammo choice and then biomechanics to fiddle with.

I suggest Federal low recoil flitecontrol rounds and a decent coach.

I think you were either having a bad day or something was different about the stock fit, perhaps a longer length of pull.

Not trying to be snarky, but my wife is 5'2" I don't dare mention age or weight but proportional and born when Truman was in office, and she handles a 500 just fine.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:12   #6
TxGun

Yeah, like countrygun said, it's the same gun, same stocks. If both guns are the same gauge, and you're using the same loads, then same recoil...or near enough. The difference in bbl. length gives the Mossberg a little more weight, but not enough to account for any "huge" difference in felt recoil. What you are experiencing is more muzzle blast, and maybe more muzzle jump, and that's fooling your brain into thinking the recoil is "hugely" increased when the difference would actually be marginal.

Last edited by TxGun; 06-29-2013 at 15:06..
TxGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:38   #7
Aceman

SLightly lighter gun because of barrel length, significantly heavier load buck v clays.

What's surprising here? Sounds like you need to shoot more...
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:45   #8
Jim S.

Pull it into your shoulder pocket tighter.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:54   #9
varget

Try the birdshot loads and see how those feel.
varget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:59   #10
China boy

I hear you guys. From what you all say it must be the shot load making the greatest difference. Because 100 rounds of bird shot with the 500 and no problem vs 15 rounds of buck/slugs with the maverick and I'm not looking forward to shooting the maverick again. There was definitely a huge difference. You're right they are virtually the same gun and holding the two they are virtually the same weight. I think a better recoil pad would be in order and some more variety of shot loads to make a full assessment is needed. And don't get me wrong. After the first shot I held that gun tight to a strong shoulder and fired the gun well but didn't like that feeling.

It's just going to take me time as my riffle range doesn't allow shotguns and my indoor range doesn't allow birdshot so it may take me a bit to try a variety of loads to make my own determination.

Thanks for replies dudes.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:39   #11
Doug S

Quote:
Well I am tempted to buy a mossberg 500 short barrel and sell the maverick.
Have to agree with some of the others...you'll notice no difference in felt recoil between the two unless the 500 has a little longer barrel (giving it a little more weight). Even then I don't think you'll notice much difference. It's really very simple. Shotguns kick. Lighter shotguns, kick a little more. Self-defense loads kick more than game and trap loads. If a little stout recoil to the shoulder bothers a person, a shotgun probably isn't their best choice.
"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling incoherent response were you even close to expressing anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having heard it. May God have mercy on your soul.

Last edited by Doug S; 06-29-2013 at 09:44..
Doug S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:58   #12
deputy tom

Get a Limbsaver recoil pad. I had the same experience as you did. The pad works , plain and simple. tom.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus ceÚl The world will come to an end but music and love will endure
deputy tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 15:46   #13
Walter Bishop

Standard buckshot and slugs have significantly more recoil than bird shot. A slug might be 1 ounce of lead traveling 1600 fps while the bird shot will only be traveling 1200 fps.
Walter Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 17:14   #14
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Not the same stock---the Mav stock is a good 1/2 in longer than the standard Moss 500 stock.
Weve taken care of everything. The words you hear the songs you sing. The pictures that give pleasure to your eyes. Its one for all and all for one. We work together common sons. Never need to wonder how or why. Obama/Hillary---originally written by Neil Peart
Omaha-BeenGlockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 23:06   #15
Aceman

#1 USe low recoil buck. Just fine for indoor social use AND practice.

#2 Learn how to really operate the weapon - push/pull and a proper seat will do wonders

#3 after that, recoil pad, or shoulder pad, or both.

Bottom line, for real you won't care and won't likely use all 5 shots. But practice is critical!
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 00:01   #16
TxGun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha-BeenGlockin View Post
Not the same stock---the Mav stock is a good 1/2 in longer than the standard Moss 500 stock.
Depends, at least according to Mossberg. There are some variations depending on the exact model. Mossberg's website states that the Mossberg 500 and the Maverick 88 pumps, in both general purpose and special purpose models, all come with 14 1/2" LOPs. However, the stats on the Mossberg 535, just a variation on the 500 chambered for 3 1/2" shells, reflect a 14" LOP.

Last edited by TxGun; 07-01-2013 at 00:55..
TxGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:02   #17
Doug S

Not to belittle the OPs experience, but just to share my own...I had my 15yr old son out to the range yesterday to do some shooting. Among other things, he shot the Maverick 88. I expected him to complain about the recoil. He shot it 12 times with both game loads and 00Buck, I asked him what he thought of the recoil, and he said that he didn't think it was too bad. And he's skinny as a rail. I guess different people perceive recoil differently. He liked it so much, he wants one of his own. Local hardware store now has a bunch of defensive shotguns on the shelf, including the Maverick, 500 Tactical, 500 Persuader, 500 Cruiser, and some Chinese stuff. I'm leaning toward picking up a 500 Persuader because it's one of the 7+1 extended mag tube models (and my son likes this one). $329 seems like a good price these days. Otherwise, I think I like the shorter tube and barrel of the Maverick, just because it's a nice handling shotgun.
"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling incoherent response were you even close to expressing anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having heard it. May God have mercy on your soul.

Last edited by Doug S; 07-03-2013 at 09:11..
Doug S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 16:25   #18
VinnieD

Well the OP didn't say if his 500 was wood or poly. The 500 still comes in wood, which lends more weight and more recoil absorption to the gun, than the all poly furniture of the 88. Having had both a poly 88 and a wood 500, the 500 certainly shoots lighter. The Maverick really benefits from a limbsaver. It also helps to have good technique. Press the butt into your shoulder, and lean into it. This will make the recoil more of a shove as it transfers directly into your body as if you and the gun are a single object, rather than a punch when there is some play between shoulder and stock and the gun is able to come back and punch you.

In general recoil is the price you pay for a lighter gun. When I had a Maverick I even considered weighting the stock to tame the recoil a bit, but I focused on developing better technique and eventually did away with the limbsaver. It also helped that I put a pistol grip stock on it, giving it 3 points to brace rather than just 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
VinnieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 21:11   #19
Tazz10m
Mod Aerator

Little trick; Hold the shotgun strong by the forestock and push it toward the target and DON'T lean into it, instead relax your shoulder a bit. When it kicks, hang on tight but let it kick and don't try to stop it with your shoulder. What will happen is it will kick straight back directly in line with the barrel and the barrel will rise up... and it won't hurt a bit... even with super heavy loads. You will also be able to get the front sight back on target and another shot off much quicker. You can practice with the bird shot then switch to the buck and slugs. Some slugs REALLY kick HARD... like "Federal HyShok"... it just depends on the load.

Find out what all the fuzz is about... seriously... get AGrip!

Brooks W. Speier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Official AGripô Manufacturer Website

AGripô Installation Video

Never let anyone who is clueless about defense tell you what you can and can't do to protect yourself and others.

Μολὼν λαβέ!
Tazz10m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:56   #20
FLA45fan

Limbsaver, Limbsaver, Limbsaver!!! I have a Ruger Hawkeye compact .308 that kicked like a mule (weighs under 6 lbs.) After installing a Limbsaver recoil pad it cut the recoil by at least half and no muzzle flip (read no scope punching you in the eye either!).