SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:12   #1
Padre

Sad Day Today

Hello My Friends:
I feel I need to reach out and express my pain. There is a very good chance that we will have to take our oldest kitty on his last car ride today. He is around 17 years old and has been with me for almost 1/4 of my life. I adopted him in Saudi Arabia when I worked there and he has heard my life's innermost secrets and has let me cry into his fur when my days and nights were at their worst.
In December we had to have his teeth removed as his dental condition had deteriorated so bad that it was a risk to his health. Well, he never has seemed to be able to eat enough to sustain his weight and health, even though the Vet said that he should be able to adapt. Now he is so skinny and just cannot eat. He has problems with even the softest food and mainly just licks the juices and then goes to bed. He has that "1000 yard stare" most of the time and, at times, doesn't seem to recognize me or my voice. Let me tell you (as I know you well understand), it is ripping my heart out. I laid with him last night and cried and cried as I petted his head and back. I don't know if he knew, but I kept telling him how much I love him and that I pray that I will see him again. I hurt and hurt today...and know that I really don't want to get in the car with him at 2:30.
Please pray for Quaise and for me and my wife. This is one of the hardest things I have ever had to do, even though we have gone through this experience several times before.
Thank you for reading this my friends. I have to go before my eyes run over again.
<Padre and Quaise Al Gatani>
Attached Thumbnails
Woof Memorial Critter's Corner - Click for larger version  

Last edited by Padre; 05-13-2013 at 10:33..
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:30   #2
Deployment Solu
Kydex Crafter

Prayers my friend. I have lost a dozen or so pets over my 55 years and it NEVER gets easier. Just know that they go to a better place.What is best for them is what matters.

The world needs less victims and more victors!!!!!
Deployment Solu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:35   #3
uhlawpup
Gentle Soul

Send a message via Yahoo to uhlawpup
Do what you must to make him comfortable. The angels will take good care of him until you go to be with him. He will be waiting, too.

CRUX SANCTA SIT MIHI LUX
NUNQUAM DRACO SIT MIHI DUX
uhlawpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 00:09   #4
JBCIII

What a wonderful picture of him!

We had to say goodbye to our sweet Warren a year ago last January, and not a day goes by that I don't miss him terribly. Also, not a day goes by that I don't feel tremendous joy in the time we had together.
He was a brave soldier, but eventually the time has to come... I truly believe he is at peace, and we will meet again somehow. I also believe the same will be true for Quasie.
Godspeed to you both; he will always live on in your heart.

...you can be sure that he knows how much you love him, and loves you back just as much. If he can be strong enough to go, you can be strong enough to be there with him and let him do so...

Last edited by JBCIII; 05-14-2013 at 00:11..
JBCIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:16   #5
Padre

Update on Quaise:
Yesterday we took him to the vet, not to have him put to sleep as the main reason, but to have an exam to give us a true picture. They did blood work and he is, surprisingly, in fairly good shape for a 17 year old kitty. The Dr. gave us the choices of blood work to find out where we stood and then CAT scans, MRI's etc. The cost of the "enhanced senior package" was around $500 and that was just for the tests, not for treatment afterwards, of course.
Well, he suggested a injection of antibiotics/steroids to help him with his stiffness and a possible infection. Well, we did that and the total bill was $275 (OUCH). Brought him home and he seemed to be in better shape, more attentive and aware of his surroundings. This morning he was up and yowling for his breakfast (hasn't done that in a while) and ate a FAIRLY good breakfast.
So, we have him for a little while longer. Not sure how long (who ever is sure of that). I will take each day as it comes and thank God for each moment with him.
Thank you my friends for your prayers. I do believe SOMETHING helped him, and I believe it was prayer.
I will keep you informed as time goes on. Again. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
<Padre>
Old 05-14-2013, 09:09   #6
cllrtr

Glad for both of you. Hope he continues to enjoy his vittles for a long time in good health.
cllrtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:45   #7
BADOS

I happy he'll be around a little longer. My Ted is a Lahsa Apso dog and I had him when he was 6 months old. He is now 20 years old. He mostly doesnt see or hear, but his sniffer works perfectly. When his time does come, at least I can say he led a long, quality life. Even though the females dogs in my home always hated him, I'm sure they'll miss him when he is gone. I know I will.
BADOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:47   #8
ranger1968

Hey man, that's GREAT news!
ranger1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:47   #9
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

I'm so sorry you and your friend have to go through this. Sincere condolences.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:49   #10
ranger1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
I'm so sorry you and your friend have to go through this. Sincere condolences.
Wahtchu talkin bout, willis?

He took the old guy to the vet and he got back good news; he's gonna be a round for a while longer.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:43   #11
Padre

UPDATE:
My buddy is back to feeling bad again. He is not really eating that much (mostly broth from his food) and is having a hard time getting around (think he had a stroke at sometime).
We are hoping that nature will take it's course..but every morning he's up and awake..ready to eat (if he only would).
I know the inevitable is coming soon....but God, do I dread the decision. As long as he's not in obvious pain, we want to give him some space.
I hate to see my buddy of so many years like this....
<Padre>
Old 06-11-2013, 13:00   #12
BADOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
UPDATE:
My buddy is back to feeling bad again. He is not really eating that much (mostly broth from his food) and is having a hard time getting around (think he had a stroke at sometime).
We are hoping that nature will take it's course..but every morning he's up and awake..ready to eat (if he only would).
I know the inevitable is coming soon....but God, do I dread the decision. As long as he's not in obvious pain, we want to give him some space.
I hate to see my buddy of so many years like this....
<Padre>
I feel very badly for you, but, you must think of him and not how you feel. If he is to the point that he has no quality of life, he will thank you for letting him go gently and with the last breath he takes, he'll know he was in the best hands and you were his best friend. I also have been thru this many times, and in fact I will be buried with 2 of my dogs that were cremated.

Last edited by BADOS; 06-11-2013 at 13:01..
BADOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 13:28   #13
ashecht

do what is best for your friend. He will love you for it, even more than he already does. Every day I come home, I look up at the mantle at the urns of my previous Golden, Kona, and his best friend, Roswell the cat. Kona crossed the bridge about 8 years ago, followed literally by weeks by Roswell. They were best buds and I think the cat died of a broken heart when his pal left. Not a day goes by that I dont look at those urns...not to be sad, but to think of some the fun and hijinks those guys got into! My current Golden has some serious back and hip issues that are just out of my budget to correct, ie 10k or so for surgery, rehab etc. He has a tough time on the stairs, but still loves his balls and is eating/drinking/peeing with no issues, but I know our time is limited. I treat every day with him as a precious gift, and not an hour goes by that I dont make sure he knows I love him with all my heart. That is all we as pet owners can do.
Ruger SR1911 Commander
Colt LE6920
ashecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:49   #14
Hondo341

To lose a pet is like losing a family member. I hate to even think about it.
Hondo341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:16   #15
ShallNotBeInfringed
NRA Business Al

At 17 years, he has had a good run.

Google Dr. Joel Wallach. Vet as well as a people doctor. He did umteen autopsys for the famous Marlin Perkins to figure out why animals die. In every case, it always came back to nutrition.

He has a national call in radio show. I would call that show, and get his opinion how to get another year or two from your furbaby.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app
ShallNotBeInfringed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:41   #16
ZEVON88

Do what you can for him while he's still with you and remember how you each made the other's life better. He hasn't had a lonely day since you took him into your family.
ZEVON88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:09   #17
Padre

My wife and I made the decision to take Quaisey to the vet tomorrow morning. He is laying on the floor in front of me right now. Quaise is not Quaise now. He is just a shell of the wonderful friend that I have known for 16 years. He is more like a zombie than my friend. He no longer responds to his name or is able to eat. He is just wasting away, day by day.
I lashed out at the wife last night for the stupidest thing, all because my nerves are absolutely shot thinking about what we have to do.
I am going to go find a spot where we will bury him this AM. We want to plant a tree where he is buried so we can remember him as it grows.
I will miss my boy, and can't imagine life without him. It will be a much more lonely world without Quaisey.
Tomorrow will be so damn hard. My wife said that she would take him to the vet and that I shouldn't go. I told her that I owe it to him, as my son...for that one last goodbye.
Thank you my friends for your messages of support. I will need you to be with us tomorrow...please.

Last edited by Padre; 06-13-2013 at 09:10..
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:14   #18
ranger1968

Aw man, I'm sorry; I've been there, a few times, and it's never easy;

But it's the right thing to do, for him.
Old 06-13-2013, 20:33   #19
Padre

Quaise Al-Gatani Mildfeldt passed over the Rainbow Bridge tonight at 9:18PM (CST). He passed away at home, surrounded by his family and siblings.
It will be a hard night tonight. There is a hole in my heart that will never heal.
Thank you again to my friends for your kind words and wishes. Please keep Quaisey and us in your hearts and prayers.
<Padre - Dennie>
Old 06-13-2013, 21:16   #20
ranger1968

Sorry.....