SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-04-2013, 13:19   #21
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra9 View Post
I bought this ammo directly from Underwood on May 1. I have not notified Underwood. As a reloader I am familiar with what can go wrong in ammo manufacture. To satisfy those who think I may have a barrel problem, I will later go out and shoot fifty more rounds using a KKM barrel. Stay tuned.
Easy to check, shoot any factory ammo thru it. I am betting it's a combo of over pressure & weak brass. Nickel cases tend to be more brittle than all brass. It could be just that, but IMO, you aren't getting a 200gr to 1250fps & staying within SAAMI +P. They would have to show me their test data before I would be comfy lighting those off in my guns.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 14:23   #22
Sierra9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Easy to check, shoot any factory ammo thru it. I am betting it's a combo of over pressure & weak brass. Nickel cases tend to be more brittle than all brass. It could be just that, but IMO, you aren't getting a 200gr to 1250fps & staying within SAAMI +P. They would have to show me their test data before I would be comfy lighting those off in my guns.

Yeah, I have shot DT and Hornady 180 gr XTP through both the stock and KKM barrels without issue. Also my reloads which have gone through many cycles without issue.
I get the impression that these Underwood cases are brittle. Instead of expanding a little, they split.
I have now emailed the photos to Underwood to see what they say.
Sierra9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 15:11   #23
dougader

Those primers look fairly flat to me, too. I'm guessing the pressure is a bit above SAAMI specs. too.

"In St. Louis, armed Homeland Security agents monitored Tea Party members protesting the IRS. Good idea. When people think their government is out to get them, the best response is to send the government out to get them." -Fred Thompson
dougader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 17:02   #24
Sierra9

Yes, dougader, the primers are very much flattened.

Last edited by Sierra9; 06-04-2013 at 17:03..
Old 06-04-2013, 17:32   #25
Sierra9

I posted the following back in March in a thread entitled, "KKM Barrel:"

"Underwood has been praised for manufacturing max loads. Two experiences I have had make me wonder if they are pushing the envelope too far:

"1. Glock 29 firing Underwood ammo, don't remember which of their 10mm loads>most every case of 20 had a smiley, most with split case. Stopped shooting it when the locking block broke.

"2. Kimber 9mm>mechanical failure of yet undetermined nature. The safety latch fell out and the slide won't rack back. Will be off to Kimber to see what broke. This happened while firing their 124gr +P HP. Of course I have no proof in this case that it was the ammo, but in the first example it had to be.

"This thread showing me that others have had over pressure ammo from Underwood brought back my experiences. It's been said that Double Tap doesn't load their 10mm as big as in the past. Maybe they learned a lesson that Underwood will learn."

Now that I've had my third bad experience shooting this stuff, I'm convinced that all three experiences are due to these loads being too heavy. A follow-up on the Kimber: they replaced the sear, thumb safety mechanism, and extractor.

I'm personally not going to buy anymore and subject my pistols and myself to more possible damage.
Your experiences may differ.
Old 06-04-2013, 17:53   #26
dougader

I think you've made a wise choice.

"In St. Louis, armed Homeland Security agents monitored Tea Party members protesting the IRS. Good idea. When people think their government is out to get them, the best response is to send the government out to get them." -Fred Thompson
dougader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 17:54   #27
Adamz04

Quote:

"Underwood has been praised for manufacturing max loads. Two experiences I have had make me wonder if they are pushing the envelope too far:

"1. Glock 29 firing Underwood ammo, don't remember which of their 10mm loads>most every case of 20 had a smiley, most with split case. Stopped shooting it when the locking block broke.

"2. Kimber 9mm>mechanical failure of yet undetermined nature. The safety latch fell out and the slide won't rack back. Will be off to Kimber to see what broke. This happened while firing their 124gr +P HP. Of course I have no proof in this case that it was the ammo, but in the first example it had to be.

"This thread showing me that others have had over pressure ammo from Underwood brought back my experiences. It's been said that Double Tap doesn't load their 10mm as big as in the past. Maybe they learned a lesson that Underwood will learn."

Now that I've had my third bad experience shooting this stuff, I'm convinced that all three experiences are due to these loads being too heavy. A follow-up on the Kimber: they replaced the sear, thumb safety mechanism, and extractor.

I'm personally not going to buy anymore and subject my pistols and myself to more possible damage.
I'm starting to feel the same way about this underwood stuff. I've bought maybe 300 rds total between 357sig, 9mm, and 10mm. Some HP and some FMJ and while I've not had quite as bad of luck as you I'm done buying this stuff cause its just to close to the tipping point for me. I like underwoods service and pricing but I kinda wish they would turn it down just a notch.

It would be great if they would load like:
180gr 10mm at 1200fps
125gr 357sig at 1400fps

Maybe if supply increases they will have more offerings in the future, kinda like that delta elite load they have in 10mm. Double tap seems to hover a little closer to the safe zone but their prices are just horrific.

At first the novelty of max loads was intriguing to me, but not anymore and especially at the price of my precious glocks or my health.
Old 06-04-2013, 18:25   #28
fredj338

Quote:

Ok all of those things are indicating over pressure loads. If they are NOT pressure testing, then they are guessing. I can guess for a lot less $$. Smiley faced 10mm is probably over pressures. Cracking anything in the gun is certainly an indication something is wrong.
I admire guys willing to provide a product. I used to load commercial too, but I didn't pressure test. My stuff was 95% CAS loads back in the day, no pressure issues there. They need to be looking really hard at your problem & evaluating their product & QC. Anyone can cobble ammo together. Trying to make high vel/high pressures stuff really requires pressure testing at every level.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
Old 06-04-2013, 18:42   #29
JimIsland

I've shot probably 300 rounds of UW from the 135gr to the 200gr without any issues. I even check/save my brass and it all looks good. I have a Gen 2 G20 with a LW barrel and a 22# spring/stainless rod. Also a Gen 3.5 G29SF....both fine but I will be keeping an eye out closely.

Not to derail but I've shot a bunch of .357 Sig through my G31 and G33...also no issues.
JimIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 18:52   #30
intecooler

It's a Starline issue. Another 10mm owner experienced split cases with his Nickel plated Starline brass with reduced loads.
Kevin will swap you out for regular brass rounds if you aren't satisfied.
intecooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 19:14   #31
Sierra9

Quote:
Originally Posted by intecooler View Post
It's a Starline issue. Another 10mm owner experienced split cases with his Nickel plated Starline brass with reduced loads.
Kevin will swap you out for regular brass rounds if you aren't satisfied.
How do you know it's Starline? The cases are head stamped "Underwood." Starline has always in my experience been great brass for reloading. It's not generally brittle.
The cases may be at fault when it comes to splitting rather than expanding, but how do you explain the flattened primers and, in previous loads, smileys? These are signs of over pressure.
Old 06-04-2013, 19:38   #32
intecooler

Because I talked to Kevin directly and asked him. I didn't really need to though because I have dealt with Kevin since inception and he has never used ANYTHING but Starline.

I can't speak to your flattened primers. I would have to see them close up but in my own firearms I haven't gotten any. Then again I have never shot any of that Nickel plated brass the issues is coming from. Hard to tell if the two are related.
If I felt, or going forward ever felt uneasy, I would just phone him up and ask him to replace it, etc... He's easy to talk with and wants his customers happy.
Old 06-04-2013, 20:46   #33
dkf

Quote:
How do you know it's Starline? The cases are head stamped "Underwood." Starline has always in my experience been great brass for reloading. It's not generally brittle.
The cases may be at fault when it comes to splitting rather than expanding, but how do you explain the flattened primers and, in previous loads, smileys? These are signs of over pressure.
If you order enough brass Starline will put whatever you want on the rim. They make brass for several other companies and put that companys name on it.

For the most part Starline is some of the best brass out there.

Quote:
Yep. You learn eventually that the issues and increased liability is not worth it.

Too many variables in guns, temps and etc to be running the ragged edge.

Last edited by dkf; 06-04-2013 at 20:57..
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 22:43   #34
doverpack12

I have a box and a half from the same time frame when he posted the 200 XTP's on the website. I had one split and shear about a third of the way down from the bullet end and one split length wise. I was shooting through the chronograph and I got an average of 1264 fps stock glock and barrel with 22# ISMI recoil spring and SS guide rod. I have 45 of the other box left. Discussions on other forums have led to a belief it may be more of a brass issue from starline although very hot loads certainly do not help. Another member had new brass he bought from starline and had a split case not loading near as hot as Underwood. I do not know of a lot number on any Underwood ammo. It was discussed if you are uncomfortable contact Underwood and they will exchange it. If I can figure out how to post pictures of my brass I will.

Last edited by doverpack12; 06-04-2013 at 22:44..
doverpack12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 23:41   #35
fredj338

IF they are NOT tracking their production thru lot #s, really hard to track down where the problem is coming from.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:34   #36
intecooler

I do believe Kevin on had the one run of Nickel brass during the shortage. This narrows it down to only that lot/run and he has been doing standard brass recently.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:06   #37
475-480

Wise decision, UW has waaaaay to many issues.

Sean

Your experiences may differ.[/QUOTE]
475-480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:36   #38
Sierra9

I received the following from Underwood. It does show excellent customer relations, but I'm still concerned about signs of over pressure:

"That was our very first run/batch with nickel and we have had a few
customers have split cases. I deeply apologize for your hassle. Tomorrow,
I'll send you out replacement ammunition and a call tag to send the rest of
what you have back to us. Again, I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
Thanks much, Kevin"
Old 06-05-2013, 08:58   #39
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post
I've pulled Underwoods ammo before and they have no issue going well over book max and selling it to the public. They used to use 800x and maybe they still do, but recently I've seen where Underwood and Buffalo Bore are using Power Pistol charges that are 13-15% over book.

What most pass off as full power or "real" 10mm loads are more often than not overpressure as well.
Yep. No free lunch, but there will continue to be people thinking 10mm is something it isn't and paying a premium to get there... either on the front end with boutique ammo costs, or the back end with broken guns.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:05   #40
M 7

One of the things that would cause me concern if I was using their ammo is this paragraph that I found on their "About Us" page:

Quote:
Underwood Ammunition strives to provide you with the finest precision ammo available. We produce our ammunition with the utmost care and pride to deliver a product you can be confident in. Whether you use our ammo for hunting, target practice or personal/home defense, you can be certain that Underwood Ammunition is both reliable and affordable. This high performance ammunition is field tested using popular, real firearms that our customers are most likely to own out in the real world with all the elements you would experience - no test barrels and no special test facilities. If for some reason Underwood Ammunition fails to meet performance expectations, we stand by our product 100% and will make sure the customer is satisfied with every purchase.
Underwood's claim that they don't rely on "special test facilities" seems to suggest that they are probably not confirming that their loads conform to SAAMI pressure standards and if their "claim to fame" is ammunition loaded to maximum power the choice to eschew may prove to be problematic in the end.

I like 'hot' ammo just as much as anyone else, but I've also grown attached to my fingers and like them right where they are.