Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:13   #21
PuroMexicano
VIVA MEXICO !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
True. But if you spray me with an expired can my attorney will eat you for lunch.
I'll spray him too.
Quote:
I once didn't kill a mountain lion by hand when it tried to stare me down...once.
Quote:
Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.:rofl::rofl:
PuroMexicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:21   #22
MW2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by txleapd View Post
I may be dense, but how does an expired can create liability in and of itself? It's my understanding the expiration is only to insure the propellant can shoot the OC the proper distance.

I could understand if I went to spray you and a fireball of hornets shot out, but if it still works as advertised? What would the tort claim be?

That's like saying I shot you with an "expired" bullet.
We had an incident last summer where a guy was sprayed (Freeze +P) with expired chemical. Guy ended up with chemical burns on his face and sued. City ended up paying out $250k.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:47   #23
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW2001 View Post
We had an incident last summer where a guy was sprayed (Freeze +P) with expired chemical. Guy ended up with chemical burns on his face and sued. City ended up paying out $250k.
he will be broken in a year but still ugly and stupid.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 13:00   #24
blueiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushido5150 View Post
Sometimes I really hate what this country has become....
Eliminate the word - "Sometimes" for me.
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 14:26   #25
ranger1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
In my Arizona dept we changed them out every two years, way before the expiration date. The heat here would cause them to slowly lose their propellant. Think of the liabilities if you DIDN'T trade before the expiration date and had to use it. Those departments trying to save a few bucks would pay dearly with a civil attorney.

In what way? because the officer was injured?
ranger1968 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 15:30   #26
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

Quote:
It's my understanding that Freeze +P contains a mixture of OC and CS. That may have have been a factor, and its not exactly the same as pepper (OC) spray.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
txleapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 15:33   #27
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydl View Post
As an OC instructor (Sabre Red), I would not recommend using expired OC at all. Buy your own new can if your department won't replace it and you ever plan to use it.
I've got plenty that's not expired, and I don't carry that can. I'm just keeping it around to occasionally test the effectiveness of expired OC spray.

1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
txleapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:32   #28
Pepper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuroMexicano View Post
I'll spray him too.
I now have Diet Dr. Pepper in my laptop because of you.

P.S. It burns coming through the nose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Pepper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:00   #29
scottydl

Quote:
Sounds like a settlement to me. That doesn't mean the officer was in the wrong, if it never went to trial and a scientific explanation was provided.

This is a reason that I would also recommend Sabre Red to any department (and no I'm not getting paid for this endorsement). It is pure OC, made with red pepper extracts and no chemicals. "All natural" per se. No chemical burns would be possible, regardless of the canister age. However, the "hypodermic needle" effect still applies - where the stream of fluid can break the skin if the spray is deployed too close. 3 feet minimum for small handheld canisters, 6 feet for a party can.
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:48   #30
PuroMexicano
VIVA MEXICO !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper45 View Post
I now have Diet Dr. Pepper in my laptop because of you.

P.S. It burns coming through the nose.
Don't sue me or I'll spray your lawyer with dr pepper too.

Quote:
I once didn't kill a mountain lion by hand when it tried to stare me down...once.
Quote:
Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.:rofl::rofl:

Last edited by PuroMexicano; 06-13-2013 at 09:34..
PuroMexicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 14:55   #31
capnjim01

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Think about it. If some guy took a swing at you and you busted him in the snotlocker wouldn't it be a real good idea to get your version on paper in the role of victim, before he did?

The actual law may vary from State to State, although I haven't hear of a State that requires it, but the laws of common sense are pretty universal in the US.
I'd file assault charges on the drunk just to be safe, if he files first it's your word against his.
capnjim01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 17:46   #32
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

1. This is not GNG
2. Everyone is welcome here.
3. If you are going to reply to a post here, leave your GNG posts outside.

In other words, if you don't know (factual basis, relevant training/experience) what you're talking about, don't talk. Leave you random thoughts out.
Let the people with actual real world experience (the ones asked the question) answer.

It's just good manners.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 19:02   #33
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
Sounds like a settlement to me. That doesn't mean the officer was in the wrong, if it never went to trial and a scientific explanation was provided.

This is a reason that I would also recommend Sabre Red to any department (and no I'm not getting paid for this endorsement). It is pure OC, made with red pepper extracts and no chemicals. "All natural" per se. No chemical burns would be possible, regardless of the canister age. However, the "hypodermic needle" effect still applies - where the stream of fluid can break the skin if the spray is deployed too close. 3 feet minimum for small handheld canisters, 6 feet for a party can.
What about the propellant? (I have no idea)

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 22:36   #34
scottydl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
What about the propellant? (I have no idea)
Neither do I, honestly. I'd have to check with someone from the Sabre Red manufacturing side. But I can only assume the expiration dates are there for a good reason. Profit (by making departments to replace their spray) doesn't seem to be a high likelihood, since the canisters fairly inexpensive and are rated for 3-5 years on average. If Sabre wanted to make more money on phony expiration, they'd probably say you should replace the canister every 6 months or something.
Old 06-16-2013, 14:19   #35
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
Neither do I, honestly. I'd have to check with someone from the Sabre Red manufacturing side. But I can only assume the expiration dates are there for a good reason. Profit (by making departments to replace their spray) doesn't seem to be a high likelihood, since the canisters fairly inexpensive and are rated for 3-5 years on average. If Sabre wanted to make more money on phony expiration, they'd probably say you should replace the canister every 6 months or something.
My question was more as to whether or not the propellant was "natural". I suspect that it is not. I also suspect that marketing Sabre as "natural" is a marketing ploy above all else. At least part of the logic behind expiration, as discussed earlier in the thread, is that the rubber O-ring seals in a can of OC may fail over time.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 16:07   #36
scottydl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
My question was more as to whether or not the propellant was "natural". I suspect that it is not. I also suspect that marketing Sabre as "natural" is a marketing ploy above all else. At least part of the logic behind expiration, as discussed earlier in the thread, is that the rubber O-ring seals in a can of OC may fail over time.
Ah ok. The instructor course showed several different real-world tests of Sabre Red vs. other sprays. It certainly seems much safer than others, as far as chemical content (or lack thereof) is concerned.

O-rings could certainly be a problem. Follow the manufacturer expiration dates and replace accordingly.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:18   #37
scottydl

I contacted Sabre through my instructor channels, and received this reply from them regarding Sabre Red propellant and expiration:

Quote:
We use two propellants- Nitrogen and HFC134. The only other chemical is the OC. The HFC134 is a liquid and though it mixes with the OC it is non-toxic. Nitrogen is the propellant for the Crossfire series and is a gas – it does not blend with the OC.

When the cans expire they lose pressure and the pepper may begin to decay. So they won’t spray properly and may not be as effective. We are an EPA establishment- all of our formulations are non-toxic and do not contain carcinogens, unlike many of our competitors.
FYI for anyone wondering.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:30   #38
countrygun

Quote:
I contacted Sabre through my instructor channels, and received this reply from them regarding Sabre Red propellant and expiration:

FYI for anyone wondering.
Ohhh,

"all of our formulations are non-toxic and do not contain carcinogens, unlike many of our competitors."

I cant figure out why, but that somehow amuses me.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:50   #39
u n v kenny

Send a message via AIM to u n v kenny
Most departments (if a LEO) will exchange approximately five (5) years or older from date on can. Dents and scrapes are okay as well, as long as it's not punctured.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:22   #40
scottydl

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Ohhh,

"all of our formulations are non-toxic and do not contain carcinogens, unlike many of our competitors."

I cant figure out why, but that somehow amuses me.
It's just one of their selling points. I mean they have to compete for law enforcement business just like any other product. Some of the product tests they show in the instructor course are pretty interesting... other OC sprays catching on fire, melting styrofoam cups, stuff like that.