Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-12-2013, 16:16   #1
Arnold Kuhl

Regarding G21/KKM/.45Super/.460Rowland

First, let me start by saying that it is NOT my intention to start a heated argument. This subject has probably been discussed many times before. But I was simply curious about shooting some .45Super in my new KKM barrel, in my G21SF.

First, I'd like to commend KKM for getting me my new barrel super-fast (LWD has had their barrels on back-order for many weeks, and I just flat got tired of waiting). KKM's customer service is exemplary, IMHO. In addition, it is largely the consensus amongst Glocksters that the KKM is a damn fine barrel, and the degree of satisfaction with these aftermarket bbls. runs consistently high.

I wanted to know if it is safe to shoot .45Super in the KKM bbl. I have read a lot of threads by shooters and reloaders who have shot not only .45Super in stock, KKM, LWD, and other makes of barrels, but also have done extensive shooting with the formidable .460Rowland. These guys have shot .45Super and .460Rowland in both G21's and G30's.

So, I wanted KKM's take on all this. Again, I have NEVER intended to shoot .460R, as it would probably break my 65-year-old, flimsy, feeble, decrepit, and bony little wrists, and put a rather large dent in my checkbook as well. What I really wanted to know was: Can I safely shoot .45Super (hell, I don't even have any of this ammo, and have never fired it in any gun in my life), using the KKM barrel in my G21SF. I figured the KKM bbl. would be the wiser choice, compared to the stock bbl., just because so many shooters seem to have gone this route. I also figured that the only other change I'd need to make would be a stronger RSA, maybe even with a steel guide rod, too.

So here is what KKM said, in answer to my last e-mail:

"Dear Mr. Arnold Kuhl:

I would not shoot the 45 Super or 460 Rowland in any Glock ever.

Kevin"

Ok, guys. What say you?

AK

Last edited by Arnold Kuhl; 06-12-2013 at 17:47..
Arnold Kuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 17:26   #2
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Kuhl View Post

So here is what KKM said, in answer to my last e-mail:

"Dear Mr. Arnold Kuhl:

I would not shoot the 45 Super or 460 Rowland in any Glock ever.

Kevin"

Ok, guys. What say you?

AK

You have the answer. Quit "shopping" for answers that you want to hear instead of what you need to hear. If the gun blows will your Internet "buddies" buy you a prosthetic hand since you will have nullified & voided any warranty? Once you go wildcat there is NO warranty.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 18:07   #3
rustytxrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
You have the answer. Quit "shopping" for answers that you want to hear instead of what you need to hear. If the gun blows will your Internet "buddies" buy you a prosthetic hand since you will have nullified & voided any warranty? Once you go wildcat there is NO warranty.
^^^^^^^^^
This is correct.

460 Rowland is a little longer than 45 apc. I don't the slide will lock.

I have 460 Rowland barrel. I bought $300 worth of of Johnny's Duty round that absolutely melted the primers. Scary......real scary. So I to had to pull the bullets. Weigh the powder charge. Then rebuild the rounds with less powder.

I posted some pictures on here.

If you go out of main stream you are pretty well own your own as stated above.

Last edited by rustytxrx; 06-12-2013 at 18:21..
rustytxrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 18:18   #4
rustytxrx

This is not a reloaded case. This came from Roland. You see line just down from the extraction groove. It looks like a semi-rimmed case. Expansion at the base was over 0.14".

When you go off the grid, it can get scary

Caliber Corner
Old 06-12-2013, 18:30   #5
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

I never contacted KKM to ask if I could shoot .45 Super in my KKM barrel. I use their 4 port compensated model which after the threading is right at 5" long, and have shot quite a few rather warm .45 Super handloads through it with no issues.

To shoot 460R you'd have to have it reamed out to accept the longer brass, but there isn't a reason why the KKM can't handle .45 Super as is since it's the same case length as the .45 ACP. I had a stock 4.6" KKM in an older 21SF that seen .45 Super too with no issues.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:36   #6
WinterWizard

.45 Super with the right weight recoil spring - probably. .460 Rowland - hell no...

The message you got from KKM is their canned response so as to avoid a law suit. They HAVE to say this.
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:58   #7
Arnold Kuhl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWizard View Post
.45 Super with the right weight recoil spring - probably. .460 Rowland - hell no...

The message you got from KKM is their canned response so as to avoid a law suit. They HAVE to say this.
Yeah, I know that KKM has to cover their legal arses, just like any other company would do. I expected them to say "Don't do it!" Just testing the waters. I know of one GT contributor who has done some rather extensive testing with the .460R, with his G30SF (or is it a G21SF?). He has installed the .460R conversion kit on his Glock.

As I have indicated, there is probably very little chance that I would ever actually shoot anything in my 21SF other than standard .45ACP loads (mostly my reloads, which are not all that hot).

I just like to know what other shooters/reloaders are doing.

Regards,

AK
Arnold Kuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 23:27   #8
dougader

I use a 4-port, 6", LW barrel in my G21sf. I have never seen a piece of brass like the one Rusty posted above. Now, I shoot 45 Super, not the 460 Rowland. But I have pushed the Beartooth 265 WFNGC to 1177 fps with Blue Dot in that 6" barrel... and, again, never saw brass like that.

"In St. Louis, armed Homeland Security agents monitored Tea Party members protesting the IRS. Good idea. When people think their government is out to get them, the best response is to send the government out to get them." -Fred Thompson
dougader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 00:28   #9
Hondo341

I bought the KKM 6" for use in my g-21 with 45 super. I should be shooting it later today. I did use the storm lake stock length barrel with 45 super shooting pretty warm loads. I have backed off a little on the powder charge for this session. I want it for hunting purposes and think it will do nicely if it s accurate. Will post again after shooting. I do use a steel guid rod and heavy recoil spring.
Hondo341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:14   #10
Hondo341

Just got back from the range. Shot 50 rounds of 45 super thru the 6" KKM barrel. It shot great and was quite accurate. I think I will like this set-up.
Hondo341 is offline   Reply With Quote