Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:12   #1
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

never been written up until i made sgt.

how about you other guys?

if you have go getters on your shift they require little managing and you can actually be a leader. if you have slugs on your shift you get jumped on because of their low activity.

every month its something......

im left with my only option is to run the shift like a military outfit. all the required activities will be done before any freelancing. serving probation warrants, doing traffic "safety" check points...all that j*** before any self initiated activity.

im forced into this style of rule because the go getters on my shift rotated to days last month and all i have is old timer slugs and a new rookie who is in his 50s. if i dont lead them around by the nose ring they wont do **** and i get jumped on for the over all shift activity being low.

what do you guys do when you have a shift full of slugs? if i dont lead them around and force them to conform i will end up sending them home for insubordination along with the subsequent punishment to follow. i can no longer be their friend, i must be the authoritarian as theyve taken advantage of my letting them have free rein.

its either that or take a demotion back to patrolman....which ive already asked h.r. about....

i didnt know J A Z Z was a filter word...

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...

Last edited by cowboywannabe; 06-13-2013 at 07:14..
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:24   #2
BL33D 4 M3
SDMF

Tell them "confidentially and off the record" you don't want them to do anything or at most the bare minimum. Act annoyed when they turn in tickets. Act angry when they bring in an arrest. Pretend that their productivity is infringing on your time.

Are you younger than most of the officers under your command?

Last edited by BL33D 4 M3; 06-13-2013 at 07:25..
BL33D 4 M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:31   #3
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL33D 4 M3 View Post
Tell them "confidentially and off the record" you don't want them to do anything or at most the bare minimum. Act annoyed when they turn in tickets. Act angry when they bring in an arrest. Pretend that their productivity is infringing on your time.

im 45 and the youngest on the shift by two years.

im left with no choice but to be a dick. they can either shut up and be lead by the nose like children, take it upon themselves to do the required activities to the point where i believe they will do so without my kicking them in the ass to do so. any lip and im going to start sending them home and submitting the insubordination papers up the chain.

im pissed off as hell right now thinking about the bind theyve put me in. you give them a badge, a gun, and the authority to take away somebody's liberty and all they do is drive around waiting for a call. no call, no activity. hell they wouldnt be doing business checks if they didnt get free ****ing coffee at the gas stations.

Last edited by cowboywannabe; 06-13-2013 at 07:37..
Old 06-13-2013, 07:43   #4
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

I'm seeing a lot of problems in leadership and supervision hinted at by your OP.

I don't want to be insulting, but it sounds like you weren't ready for the transition and weren't given the professional development training to help you make it. First question to be answered is, "do you really want to be a sergeant?"
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:47   #5
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
I'm seeing a lot of problems in leadership and supervision hinted at by your OP.

I don't want to be insulting, but it sounds like you weren't ready for the transition and weren't given the professional development training to help you make it. First question to be answered is, "do you really want to be a sergeant?"
sure i do, it is a stepping stone towards where i want to be and what i want to do. of course it was a battlefield commission when i got. the problems run deeper than my position and im not the only sgt in this situation...

send me a PM if you have some ideas on how to motivate old slugs.

Last edited by cowboywannabe; 06-13-2013 at 07:51..
Old 06-13-2013, 08:21   #6
OfficerChris
L.A. fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to OfficerChris
Hire me!

just some expieriences and ideas:

If possible you could put a weekly or monthly spreadsheet on the wall with each officer and his calls, etc. on it.
That way everyone knows who is first who is last and the other shifts might find out that these guys work much less.

Do you give out specific numbers they have to achieve? If not, do it.
Print it out, put is somewhere: Week 45, Officer XZ, warrants checks: 10, check points 5,.. whatever.

Depending on your shifts size and area, maybe you find out each officers preferences and can use that.
I always hated specific car checks we had to do or checkpoints in general - but I liked doing business checks or business related calls.
So I teamed up with a guy who loved to spent the whole day doing what I hated. That way our productivities went up and we both specialized in our fields of interests - which payed off again.

If you need to kick some ass because thats the only thing working, add some gratification for work done well. If you post a spreadsheet it will do that for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
OfficerChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:01   #7
Sharkey

Never written up until you made Sgt.?

Holy Crap, what exactly were you doing on patrol?

What is that old saying - If you aren't gettin complained on, you ain't doing your job.

Yeah I would say that the agency has some issues especially if you asked HR about going back to patrol. Good luck. Effective leadership on your part probably ain't gonna solve squat.

Towards the end of my patrol days, I was so frustrated with admin., I just took my dispatched calls and that was 13 years ago.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:05   #8
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
Never written up until you made Sgt.?

Holy Crap, what exactly were you doing on patrol?

What is that old saying - If you aren't gettin complained on, you ain't doing your job.

Yeah I would say that the agency has some issues especially if you asked HR about going back to patrol. Good luck. Effective leadership on your part probably ain't gonna solve squat.

Towards the end of my patrol days, I was so frustrated with admin., I just took my dispatched calls and that was 13 years ago.
complained on and written up are different things. complained on is because you did something somebody didnt like, being right doesnt matter. written up is for policy violations and the like.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:27   #9
OLY-M4gery

Next time they talk to you about productivity

1) Look at them like they have 3 heads, and are speaking an unintelligible language.

2) Ask if they are telling you there are quotas????????

If you want to be a leader, you have to deflect the stupid **** that comes down the hill, as one of your duties.

Last edited by OLY-M4gery; 06-13-2013 at 09:33..
OLY-M4gery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:28   #10
Vigilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL33D 4 M3 View Post

That's pretty much the way it works in my little neighborhood. The slugs have to screw up really royally before they take a hit; the go-getters are pretty much constantly scrutinized and hounded. It's all about not rocking the boat.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:36   #11
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLY-M4gery View Post
Next time they talk to you about productivity

1) Look at them like they have 3 heads, and are speaking an unintelligible language.

2) Ask if they are telling you there are quotas????????

If you want to be a leader, you have to deflect the stupid **** that comes down the hill, as one of your duties.
there are quotas, but they are not revenue generating. traffic check point quotas, traffic stop quotas that do not have to be tickets, they can be warnings. trying to serve the rediculous amount of probation warrants. those three things are hot topics.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:38   #12
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
That's pretty much the way it works in my little neighborhood. The slugs have to screw up really royally before they take a hit; the go-getters are pretty much constantly scrutinized and hounded. It's all about not rocking the boat.
not here. the slugs have to be lead around by the hand. but that will happen for just a short time before the write ups start coming from me. i refuse to baby sit adults. they will conform on their own or they will get paper.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:43   #13
Deriffe

Basic leadership. Set the standard and ensure the standard is met. Those who meet or exceed the standard get public attaboys. Many old timers won't care one whit about attaboys so you may have to do one - on -one "come to Jesus" sessions (also known as counseling sessions). Document everything you do try to get the slow learners up to speed. I also like the idea of posting the stats so all can see who is productive and who isn't. It is very important to be consistent every single shift and once they understand that good performance is rewarded just as much as poor performance is punished, most will come around. Some will only do the bare minimum unless motivated so don't be afraid to raise the bar slightly. At the end of the day, you should be able to show you have done your best and point out improvement. Those who refuse to get with the program will have given you the ammunition you need to properly deal with them if you keep CYA documentation.

NRA Life Member
Glock Armorer
Glock Instructor
Deriffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:05   #14
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deriffe View Post
Basic leadership. Set the standard and ensure the standard is met. Those who meet or exceed the standard get public attaboys. Many old timers won't care one whit about attaboys so you may have to do one - on -one "come to Jesus" sessions (also known as counseling sessions). Document everything you do try to get the slow learners up to speed. I also like the idea of posting the stats so all can see who is productive and who isn't. It is very important to be consistent every single shift and once they understand that good performance is rewarded just as much as poor performance is punished, most will come around. Some will only do the bare minimum unless motivated so don't be afraid to raise the bar slightly. At the end of the day, you should be able to show you have done your best and point out improvement. Those who refuse to get with the program will have given you the ammunition you need to properly deal with them if you keep CYA documentation.
stats are an issue because we have a new ****ed up program.....still trying to work out the bugs, i dont believe this was thought through very well, like they got something new for the sake of getting something new....

we are not talking about a kid who just got out of the academy and never policed before. these are officers with 10 plus years on the job, come to jesus meeting has been done, i will show them by example what they must do by doing it with them. then they will be on their own to do so.

i mean really, i have to ask dispatch to pull just three outstanding warrants for suspects listed as living in our jd and give them to the guys. i mean just three attempt to serves a week isnt asking a lot but if i dont pull the warrants and tell them to serve them they wont do so on their own. they dont need a leader, they need to be shown the door. they know what is expected of them but if they arent force fed it doesnt happen. that will stop.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:20   #15
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

That's disappointing. I would actually like to be given a stack of warrants to serve, or a traffic project to run, etc. That's the kind of stuff that I enjoy doing. God forbid somebody got arrested.

How are shift assignments handled? We are on a seniority bid system. One of the few numerical "expectations" on my watch is thirty self-initiated field stops (only twenty can be traffic) per month. Despite that, we have guys making TWO stops. TWO. On overnights in a larger (for Iowa) city with a significant bar district, a major interstate, two state highways, etc.

How do our supervisors "fix" it? They assign the guys who underperform to a speed enforcement project. I literally cannot think of anything less effective. Not only do they get assigned to do something they clearly do not want to do, they are forced in to being able to meet expectations, and therefore make it appear that they are putting out, when they are not. Meanwhile, the guys who do want to be proactive (we have enough people on a watch to have a healthy mix) are excluded from those projects. I don't necessarily know what the solution is, but our way isn't it.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:48   #16
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

shifts rotate, patrolmen rotate one month different than sgts. i get a different group every two months. my go getters rotated out a month ago. they were the ones i worked with, leaded, and accomplished things with. assignments are sector/zone assignments, no special programs going on.

the current group needs to be baby sat, and ive done that long enough and i am at witts end. i can no longer be their friend, hammer time has come.

Last edited by cowboywannabe; 06-13-2013 at 10:49..
Old 06-13-2013, 12:58   #17
rockapede

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
i mean really, i have to ask dispatch to pull just three outstanding warrants for suspects listed as living in our jd and give them to the guys. i mean just three attempt to serves a week isnt asking a lot but if i dont pull the warrants and tell them to serve them they wont do so on their own. they dont need a leader, they need to be shown the door. they know what is expected of them but if they arent force fed it doesnt happen. that will stop.
Heh, I'll come serve your warrants. I'd do that all day long if I had the time. 90% of the fun I've had on the job has started with a traffic stop or a warrant attempt.

-Edward Conlon
rockapede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 13:03   #18
blueiron
Clown move, bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post

the current group needs to be baby sat, and ive done that long enough and i am at witts end. i can no longer be their friend, hammer time has come.
This may hurt, but why do you feel that you are supposed to be their friend? You are now a leader and it is your job to mentor and coach the willing, yet kick the tails of the slackers into performing to at least the dep't. mean standard.

Sit down with employee files and look at their education, their experience, their 24 month performance, their commendation/discipline, etc. Identify each employees strengths and weaknesses. Write up a brief plan for each employee as to how you are going to coach improvement into each employee.

The next step is to bring in each employee and have a 'Come to Heysus' meeting with each one. Ask each employee where they plan to be six, twelve, and twenty four months from now. Insist that they tell you how they plan to improve, how they plan to meet or exceed standards, and how they expect to get to their 'dream job/billet/posting'. Kindly inform each employee that if they are not pleased with their situation at work, then it is their responsibility to change what they can and that you will help - only after they commit some 'positive effort' capital toward that goal. Document each meeting thoroughly and let them know you are doing it.

Follow up with a squad briefing that reminds them that they have responsibilities to their taxpayers, their employer, and themselves to do an acceptable amount of accurate and thorough work. If they want to be like a bunch of surly teenagers afterwards, then admonish, drop paper, and start the long process of relieving them of their careers. Remind them that you too have a boss that expects results and that you will not take the heat alone for their laziness.

Bastard! - TBO
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 14:05   #19
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

Yes, I have been written up. Yes, I have been forced to give them a free day. Some other stuff has gone on, too.
nikerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 15:46   #20
BL33D 4 M3
SDMF

Give each officer a written "Performance Improvement Plan". Set realistic, obtainable, measurable goals. Perform evaluations based upon their reaction to your direction. In the end, especially if they are union, some just won't get on board. If you can motivate a few of them then you have achieved a victory. There is a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment that comes with doing the job well. The slugs will never get that.

Also...wait. Don't get frustrated. There will come a time that one of them will get jammed up or will need something from you. Your input on a matter may mean the difference in the outcome for him. Make it known that they get what they give. Workers that give the extra effort get the extra consideration. Slugs get what their contract entitles them to...nothing more, nothing less.
BL33D 4 M3 is offline   Reply With Quote