Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-13-2013, 16:57   #1
Vertical_Cobalt

Ammunition Prices and Stock

I typically check gunbot once a day or so to see what is available for .40 S&W. I noticed that nearly every company is still selling ammo for inflated prices and nearly every company listed on gunbot has ample stock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Vertical_Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 17:06   #2
Arnold Kuhl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Cobalt View Post
I typically check gunbot once a day or so to see what is available for .40 S&W. I noticed that nearly every company is still selling ammo for inflated prices and nearly every company listed on gunbot has ample stock.
Yep. I was at one of my local gun shops this morning. The ammo was pretty plentiful, all kinds of different calibers, both pistol and rifle, but still pretty damn pricey! The cheapest stuff they had was Wolff (Russian, I believe), and it was still too high.

I don't get it.

AK
Arnold Kuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 17:30   #3
Kalmah
Supreme Member

They're selling at the prices people are willing to pay. If the ammo wasn't selling, the vendors would lower their prices.

Prices will remain high as long as people continue to buy at those prices.
Old 06-13-2013, 17:40   #4
wingryder

... but at least it is available now.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan
wingryder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 18:15   #5
unit1069

I stopped at Wal-Mart for some .22lr tonight (none available) but there was a lot of .40S&W and some 9mm that was selling fast. I sense ammo supply is slowly coming back. (Wal-Mart has kept it's prices steady these past six months so that's where I'm shopping)
Old 06-13-2013, 18:48   #6
Vertical_Cobalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalmah View Post
They're selling at the prices people are willing to pay. If the ammo wasn't selling, the vendors would lower their prices.

Prices will remain high as long as people continue to buy at those prices.
I think the demand will start to slow. The supply is slowly coming back. I think this is already starting to happen. Just two weeks ago many FMJ offerings on gunbot were low or out of stock.

My buddy at the LGS has said sales are slowing down and people are starting to sell back panic buys.

With several recent shootings in the last week or so I imagine there will be another legislative effort in the near future

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:38   #7
newgene

Quote:
Basic macroeconomics will level this out. Sellers have basically throttled their price to target all ammo selling out right when the new stuff arrives. As this market levels out, they will continue to drop price to keep the ammo selling out. The problem is they really missed the boat for the past 6 months if they wanted to maximize greed. Every single place with ammo sold out (nearly everybody) had a price that was too low for the market. Heck, they could have sold 22LR 50 round packs for 10 bucks, and they would have sold out.

This whole market swing has actually been really interesting to watch. I have bought a lot of ammo during it because I sometimes like a challenge. It also felt like Christmas when I found cheap ammo at places like wal-mart. However, I'm just not that hard up where I would try to turn a profit every time I had a chance to buy 3 boxes of ammo. I never profited a penny, but I certainly called up friends and helped them get ammo they wanted. I'm also glad this happened. Even as a LEO for 10 years, I never fully realized how much I would enjoy being a weapon collector. I also shoot more now. This has been great for the gun industry and the country.
newgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:23   #8
Vertical_Cobalt

I would love to see .40 S&W for $6.99 a box again.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:53   #9
Glock26z

I reload my 1911s and revolvers because that is all I have including .22s but,I do not reload .22s
Glock26z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:36   #10
GlockinNJ

I just bought a 400 rd brick of Remington .22's from my buddy's stash for EIGHT BUCKS!

GlockinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 13:51   #11
JabbaNoBother

I dunno, seems I should have purchased a .40 or .357. Went to the LGS to pick up the Ruger American ordered from Galley of Guns and there had to be at least a few hundred boxes of .40. Also, last time I went out to Cabelas .357 and .223 were the available flavor.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:55   #12
unit1069

For the past six months I haven't done much shooting, only picking up ammo when I can and sitting on the duty caliber rounds, both range and JHP self-defense.

I am beginning to notice a lot more Internet comments from ammo buyers who claim quality control has really deteriorated lately, with some premium rounds now looking like something the cat dragged in. Can anyone else confirm this?
Old 06-18-2013, 13:04   #13
fredj338

Quote:
I would love to see .40 S&W for $6.99 a box again.

Sure, right along with $2/gal gas.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 13:41   #14
Vertical_Cobalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Sure, right along with $2/gal gas.
One can wish.

Last edited by Vertical_Cobalt; 06-18-2013 at 13:41..