GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:40   #21
4949shooter

We used to shoot only duty ammo. Now we shoot up our carry ammo and rotate it with fresh. The rest of training is done with the "ballistic equivalent" 124 grain Speer Lawman.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:19   #22
rockapede

Quote:
Originally Posted by the critter View Post
The agency I have been interning at shoot fmj's on the range and hornady critical defence on duty.
Have you told them to pull their collective heads out of their ***es?

-Edward Conlon
rockapede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:55   #23
ottomatic

Originally Posted by the critter
The agency I have been interning at shoot fmj's on the range and hornady critical defence on duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockapede View Post
Have you told them to pull their collective heads out of their ***es?
What's wrong with Hornady Critical Defense? Have no personal experience with THAT stuff, but I have never heard anything bad.

Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Matthew 5:9
ottomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 13:03   #24
ranger1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
Our duty ammo is Gold Dots. We use the ballistic equivalent Lawmans for practice. For actual qualifications it's duty ammo.
This is how we do it as well......
ranger1968 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 13:49   #25
rockapede

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomatic View Post
Originally Posted by the critter

What's wrong with Hornady Critical Defense? Have no personal experience with THAT stuff, but I have never heard anything bad.
Was not designed to and will not pass the FBI ammo protocols. Not designed to penetrate anything but a clothed individual, and not very well at that (most tests I've seen are in the neighborhood of 10" in bare gelatin for 115 grain 9mm). With everything out there that does meet FBI criteria, there is no logical reason for an agency to issue Critical Defense.

ETA: Hornady themselves state Critical Defense is not intended for LE use: http://www.hornady.com/support/criti...itical-defense

-Edward Conlon

Last edited by rockapede; 06-15-2013 at 14:07..
Old 06-15-2013, 14:40   #26
capnjim01

I'm just curios do you guys have to supply your own ammo to practice with?

Also you guys seem to be gun guys, how often does the average police officer who is not into guns shoot?
capnjim01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 15:01   #27
rockapede

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnjim01 View Post

Also you guys seem to be gun guys, how often does the average police officer who is not into guns shoot?
1) I do indeed. I only get department practice ammo at official training and to qualify with.

2) From what I've seen, only when they have to.

-Edward Conlon
Old 06-15-2013, 17:59   #28
CAcop

Quote:

For scheduled training and extra training in the building they do supply ammo for issued calibers. 9, .40, .45, and 10.

Here there are people who shoot every chance they get probably 1/4 to 1/3 of the department. About 1/3 to 1/4 you practically have to order them to show up for equals let alone training. The rest will show up for training and equals and might practice on their own at a range besides the PD at most a few times a year.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 20:14   #29
Patchman
Florist

Quote:

Years ago, my agency used to provide 100-rounds of duty ammo a month for practice. They stopped that due to budget(?) IDK.

Now, when I practice (anything that's not official training), I provide my own ammo.

How often do I practice? When I was in patrol, I used to take at least one single- or multi-day pistol class a year. Then at least 8 to 10 times a year to the local range to maintain/refresh what I learned.

But the last couple of years I've gotten lazy with the classes as well as the range. (My excuse is that in the last few years, that gun academy in Springfield MA has not offered many intermediate and advanced handgun classes. And doing a road trip/overnight stay was one thing I looked forward to).

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 06-15-2013 at 21:58..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 00:51   #30
Agent6-3/8

Quote:

Outside of duty ammo and official training and qualifications we have to provide out own ammo. I suspect you'll find this is the norm.

I like to get out the the range a couple times a month, but once a month is more realistic. The non-gun guys and gals shoot only when they have to which is two or three times per year.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2013, 01:29   #31
m2hmghb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpuscg04 View Post
There is the 1 lead range. Must wear gloves, dust mask recommended, shot targets and brass go into special bins.

You'd think they store spent nuke rods there...
You ever get lead poisoning you'll understand why.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:35   #32
rockapede

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2hmghb View Post
You ever get lead poisoning you'll understand why.
I should have been dead a long, long time ago....

-Edward Conlon
Old 06-16-2013, 01:50   #33
Agent6-3/8

Quote:

Outside of duty ammo and official training and qualifications we have to provide out own ammo. I suspect you'll find this is the norm.

I like to get out the the range a couple times a month, but once a month is more realistic. The non-gun guys and gals shoot only when they have to which is two or three times per year.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:02   #34
m2hmghb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockapede View Post
I should have been dead a long, long time ago....
Because of things like CFS my body doesn't process heavy metals properly. We didn't figure it out until after I had a lead test done and it came back for well above safe levels. It took 8 months of oral chelation meds to knock it down. The other alternative is IV therapy which sucks even worse.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:19   #35
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Why would they provide ammo for training that isnt official? Providing ammo for training not sanctioned by the department would get most agencies in hot water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent6-3/8 View Post

Old 06-16-2013, 08:43   #36
capnjim01

Thanks for the replies that's what I kind of figured. The cops I talk to(I know never talk to the police) don't shoot except at qualifying time, with the rare exception of swat guys or the ones who compete.

I live about a mile from the police range and for a couple of days in the spring it sounds like a war zone then pretty much rest of the year nothing.
capnjim01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:22   #37
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

I feel for you. The average agency around me has officers shooting closer to monthly. Ours is about that, not counting 16 hrs mandatory training in conjunction with quals 3 gun and lowlight, extra lowlight qual if uou carry a mounted light.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:51   #38
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpuscg04 View Post
There is the 1 lead range. Must wear gloves, dust mask recommended, shot targets and brass go into special bins.

You'd think they store spent nuke rods there...
I never knew about that one when I was there, lol. I guess they don't let us Burro officers over there because they're afraid we'll screw it up somehow or something, lol.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:55   #39
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Thanks for the replies that's what I kind of figured. The cops I talk to(I know never talk to the police) don't shoot except at qualifying time, with the rare exception of swat guys or the ones who compete.

I live about a mile from the police range and for a couple of days in the spring it sounds like a war zone then pretty much rest of the year nothing.
That's about it for us, too. Annual qual only for most staff. Our DCT shoots a lot more, though, in their monthly training, and we have some classes that shoot a lot (basic prisoner transport being one of them). We've had to cancel out last BPT course, though, as well as DCT shooting, due to ammo. We're down to our bare-minimum on hand, and when we placed our order, we were told it was an 8-month wait. Even the rest of the federal government is waiting on DHS!

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 13:52   #40
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
We're down to our bare-minimum on hand, and when we placed our order, we were told it was an 8-month wait. Even the rest of the federal government is waiting on DHS!

Oh come on, somebody on CT must have a spare key, know where there's a spare key, or know somebody who has a spare key to the back door of DHS's ammo warehouse...

DHS has already received 8 billions rounds since January 1, so they surely can spare a pallet or two.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote