Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 09:48   #1
bobdat

Ammo Shortage?

deleted

Last edited by bobdat; 06-16-2013 at 06:54..
Old 06-14-2013, 13:15   #2
Kichigai
気違い Was Mr30s

Ammo that used to cost me about $15/box now costs me about $28/box - That's the factory-to-me price increase! All three big manufacturers have almost doubled their prices in one year. When's the last time you saw them REDUCE their prices? I never have in 25 years!
Old 06-14-2013, 15:26   #3
collim1
Shower Time!

I don't expect it to come down much if any. I can't afford bulk purchases right now at these prices, but I have been buying a box here and there and squirreling it away.

I have a pretty decent stash of ammo in a few calibers. I have been going through my piles and shooting the cheapest, less desirable ammo I squirreled away years ago. Mostly steel case stuff I got for dirt cheap.

Its hard for me to blast away at the current prices. I have been doing much more bench shooting for groups lately and trying to get the most out of each shot.

The one thing I am out of now, except for a few 100rd trays of CCI Mini-Mag HP hunting ammo, is .22LR. .22 was always my go to range caliber when larger calibers got in short supply.
Old 06-14-2013, 16:53   #4
Mattkcc

The last time this happened the price did eventually drop but not to original prices. It is possible to make companies drop their prices. Just stop buying ammo at inflated prices, it's not that hard to do. I haven't bought any ammo or a gun since this started. These inflated prices are saving me a lot of money. I enjoy shootings but there are other things in this world to do that are fun. Shooters are doing more to screw-up our sport than the anti-gunners.
Old 06-14-2013, 16:58   #5
brianfede

I will agree 100% than ammo has been tough to come by, especially 9mm and 22lr. However, I recently purchased WWB 9mm 100 rnds at Bass Pro for $26.99. New shipment, I suppose they have pricing power but that is only a few $ more than i paid last year. UMC 250 rnd box was $67.99.
Old 06-14-2013, 19:46   #6
newgene

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdat View Post
I sold the 9mm for $35/box/50; the 40S&W for $36/box/50; the 45ACP+P for $38/box/50; the XM193 for $550/case/1000.
Brother, that's insane! I can even go on gun broker or arms list and get 9mm much cheaper than $70/100. Unless of course you are talking about premium ammo. Regular target ammo is around $40 online. You can get 100 round wwb from midway all day at $40 for .40 and $50 for .45.

I would say you are getting absolutely HOSED by your supplier. If not, I would switch my supplier to the random guys reselling online at inflated prices. Also, this whole ammo shortage will be over this year at the rate we are seeing. Heck, the last month alone has shown more availability for the normal guy.

Last edited by newgene; 06-14-2013 at 19:48..
Old 06-15-2013, 04:03   #7
cowboy1964

I don't see any reason why ammo prices won't eventually come back down, if not to 2012 levels then at least close to them. Look at AR prices, they are almost back to where they were. It may be 2014 but they will come down.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:42   #8
newgene

Is this your ammo site you were talking about:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show...71&postcount=3
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show...17&postcount=4
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show...57&postcount=4
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show...00&postcount=8

Look, I don't blame you for hustling through all this. If people don't want to pay your prices, they can look somewhere else. It's up to the moderators to decide what spam they let in. But seriously don't tell everyone you are only making $2/box while trying to sell handgun ammo at double the price.

I personally want to see the ammo gouging end now so I can go back to buying ammo on days when I need it at the range. All posts like this do is fan the flames and hysteria. No, ammo is not going to permanently double in price. No, ammo will not be sold out for another year. AR15's will be available again (already are as stated above). You will be able to buy 22LR again (getting closer). This is just a temporary market where a few folks hustling around, are buying up all the cheap ammo they can, and are dumping it back into the self-induced sold-out market. Since the people waiting in line at academy have managed to pull away all the cheap stock from everyone, everybody is buying the max at every opportunity. Ask those same people if they have actually shot any of their new ammo. Do they even own that caliber? Then, the LGS's are saying, heck, if only I could get me some more cheap ammo, I could make a forture. So, everyone puts in a million orders through every distributor they can.

When all this is over, people will be sitting on some massive amounts of stored rounds. You also have the renewed interest in the shooting hobby and lot of new faces to the field. People are even buying new guns in new calibers. But the bottom line is this. If more rounds are not shot at an increased rate as before the crisis, supply and demand will not support a higher price point. The raw materials (copper, lead, brass, potassium nitrate, ddnp, etc.), are still the same demand outside of the ammunition process. So, nothing else is driving a price increase. If the raw materials do not go up, and the cost of ammo does, you will every entrepreneur diving into the startups of new ammo companies. Supply and demand always keeps this in check.

No, this will settle down. Sure, you may see an increase of a dollar or two on a box, but nothing that will change anyone's lives. Just look at the ammo price increases since 2008. If one assumes every consumer product goes up by 3% to 4% anyway, has ammo really gone up that much over the years? A $15 box of ammo has to go up about 4 cents a month just to keep up.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:21   #9
greenlion

Seems to me like some day soon the hoarders will have what they THINK they need. At that point the dealer shelved will start to overflow with OVERPRICED ammo when those back orders come in. I know a lot of new gun owners are out there, but most gun owners rarely shoot their guns. I think recreational shooting will decline because of the insanely high prices of ammo and reloading components. The hoarders will not need to buy ammo until the year 2514. It may be a few years, but when those big piles of overpriced ammo have set on the shelves for a couple of tax seasons, I think the prices will come back down.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:26   #10
Kichigai
気違い Was Mr30s

they will come back down eventually i think. Walmart for instance has not really raised their prices you just cant find it on the shelf.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:43   #11
bobdat

deleted

Last edited by bobdat; 06-16-2013 at 06:54..
Old 06-15-2013, 08:59   #12
newgene

Quote:
Wow, can any human being get it so wrong???

I don't know what your personality problem happens to be and I don't care....BUT, every one of your assumptions and conclusions are so far from fact that they aren't worth discussing.

You have earned the number one position on my IGNORE list!

Bye! Bye!
Dude, you say you are not affiliated with a website, yet you spam a link over and over and over again on the forum. I really didn't want you to get so upset. Forget the spamming of the website. Those prices you threw out there are just sick, and can be beat in just about every town that it is legal to sell ammo. That's just the facts. Do you, even yourself, truly think people believe you when you say you really only make $2 when you sell a box of 9mm ammo for $35? Come on, man. If that is the case, I will gladly sell 9mm ammo for $30 to anyone who wants it. I have a good stash, and at that price, I'll gladly let it go.

Don't get so defensive. Pumping this type of stuff is fueling the horders. Just relax and stop trying to hustle.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:34   #13
bobdat

And you wonder why so many people favor gun control?

Last edited by bobdat; 06-16-2013 at 01:29..
Old 06-15-2013, 11:21   #14
newgene

That is hilarious. Someone else called this
guy out on the same stuff, and now he's upset. Why take this personal? This is just another thread with someone trying to justify $0.70 per round for 9mm. Chill, dude.
Old 06-15-2013, 23:03   #15
NJR

Well said, newgene. You know back in the feudal period in France, they used to execute bakers who shorted the peasants on their loaves of bread, iirc. Ammo speculators are the scum of the earth. These are the kind of people that make America a capitalist hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgene View Post
Dude, you say you are not affiliated with a website, yet you spam a link over and over and over again on the forum. I really didn't want you to get so upset. Forget the spamming of the website. Those prices you threw out there are just sick, and can be beat in just about every town that it is legal to sell ammo. That's just the facts. Do you, even yourself, truly think people believe you when you say you really only make $2 when you sell a box of 9mm ammo for $35? Come on, man. If that is the case, I will gladly sell 9mm ammo for $30 to anyone who wants it. I have a good stash, and at that price, I'll gladly let it go.

Don't get so defensive. Pumping this type of stuff is fueling the horders. Just relax and stop trying to hustle.
Old 06-15-2013, 23:53   #16
Glock26z

I give you 10.00 dollars per box for 9mm ammo. no more. If not,no problem. I still reload.
Old 06-16-2013, 00:26   #17
dkf

I just bought Xtac .223 for $8.59 per 20, PMC bronze was in stock for $7.79 per 20. Same place had LC XM855 for $.47 round. This is new stock at new current prices.

It looks to me like the OP is overly touchy and has a screw or two loose.

The sky is falling, the sky is falling....
Old 06-16-2013, 02:07   #18
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Give it time. It will come back down to a sane price. Patience is a virtue.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:40   #19
ashvillemark

went to lgd in alabama today,pmc 9mm 17.89 bx 50 rds.shelfs full of ars,aks and mountains of cases of 223.308.shelfs full of golddot and hornady hp in every caliber.piles of powder and primer,althouth 1000 primers 49.99 for cci lg and small pistol primers.had ruger 380 on sell at 249.00.they have allways kept ammo prices right and havent been trying to gouge everybody.they also say they are recieving all the ammo they order now.maybe all of this shortage is about to end
Old 06-16-2013, 12:18   #20
newgene

Quote:
And you wonder why so many people favor gun control?
WOW

What a truly d-bag thing to say. People call you out for trying to gouge them for $70 boxes of 100 count target 9mm ammo and you throw a temper tantrum like a child. You threw out some mild vulgarities and then deleted all your posts. At least you save some kind of face by pulling all your rants down. BTW, I have no idea who supposedly called you out years ago, but after seeing all this, I can see why they did.

Remember, you are the one who started this with your spam posting, and then YOU got upset because people called you out. At least nobody else has to go back and read that babble.

News flash. Just about nobody on this forum favors gun control, and nobody on this forum enjoys gougers and spammers trying to come on here and swipe a buck from your average shooter. I have no idea where your "revised" comments came from, but they're only mildly better than your previous ones.

Closed Thread