Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:46   #1
m2hmghb

Rough time

I decided I need to get what's been going on off my chest. My mother has been undergoing chemo since October of last year. On May 21st I convinced my mother to go to the ER, she wasn't looking right and my gut was telling me bleeding ulcer from the symptoms. It took me 2 hours to convince her and then an hour for her to be ready to go to the hospital. I was right, she was down to under 4 points of hemoglobin and losing 1.2 points a day. They gave her 5 pints of blood and she stayed for 4 days. That week they did a procedure to put a screen in the abdominal vena cava to prevent a clot from moving so she wouldn't have to stay on blood thinners.

On monday she wasn't looking good so I suggested she go for blood work, she agreed and said she'd go tomorrow since the office was booked. When she went in she had a fever of 103 degrees, she was immediately sent to the hospital and they found a stent they placed was infected. They removed it thursday and the antibiotics have knocked the infection down a bit. They put in a drain and they're flushing it every 6 hours.

On the night of admission they moved her from a room to the ICU because her BP started to crash. Thankfully they were able to intervene. I don't expect her home until wednesday at the earliest and I'm thinking it'll probably be the week after.

On top of all that I'm currently having a decent flare up from chronic fatigue syndrome, lyme disease, and babesiosis. I've been feeling like I have the flu for the past 4 days now, but I'm still doing house work and things around the yard. I'm in such great shape I can't play computer games and am having a hard time reading books. Sorry, I just had to vent, as you can see I've got a lot going on.

P.S. For crying out loud read up on Lyme disease and other tick borne illnesses and BE CAREFUL! I've been re-infected 3 times with Lyme just from the yard. If you get a tick feeding on you get a pair of fine tweezers and clamp them on the mouth so the bastard can't regurgitate into you. Be safe out there, it isn't just the bad guys that can hurt you.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:42   #2
Newcop761
CLM Number 145
Charter Lifetime Member

I'm sorry you're going through this.

Sending some good thoughts your way for both your and your mother.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:39   #3
caraker0341

Good luck and fight through. Prayers to you and yours. Thanks for the warning on the little nasties.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:21   #4
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

Sorry to hear about what's going on. I guess when it rains it pours. We went through the same stuff with my dad earlier this year. It can be very rough and it's important to spend as much time as possible with them. Then being sick as well makes it harder. Hang in there. And if you need to vent then vent away. We're all here for ya.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:25   #5
Patchman
Florist

I was hoping your health had gotten a little bit better, but I guess not. Watching out for our parents' health is something most of us go through. None of that is easy by itself, but you seem to be poured on worse than most.

Good luck and prayers to you and your mom.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:08   #6
RussP

Prayers for you and Mom and everyone...

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:29   #7
4949shooter

Prayers Brother.

I am heading out soon so I won't be around for a couple days. Stay well, my friend.

Looking forward to that M1 project!
Old 06-16-2013, 11:40   #8
Vigilant

I slacked off on mentioning you in my prayers, and I apologize. I know for a fact, prayer DOES help. I am also convinced that there are things about suffering with our heart in the right place that we as humans do not yet understand.

God bless you and your family.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:08   #9
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Prayers en route for you and your mom, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:40   #10
Bushido5150

Praying for you and your mothers health.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 06-16-2013, 12:58   #11
PinkoCommie
Unusual Member

Oh man... I hope you kick your health issues in the ass in short order. Keep on keepin' on, and I will keep my fingers crossed for better times for you and your mother.
This wasn't me... --DaBigBR
I was hauling a large quotient of ass. --Cochese
PinkoCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 14:54   #12
Agent6-3/8

Hang in there brother! Prayers on the way for you and your mom!

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Last edited by Agent6-3/8; 06-16-2013 at 14:55..
Agent6-3/8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 15:34   #13
blueiron
Clown move, bro

May your mother's and your health problem get much better.

Dear God, this is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. It's got to rank right up there with CALEA. -Pepper45
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 15:52   #14
m2hmghb

Thanks everyone. All the crap is starting to get to me so I figured I'd talk about it some. It rough on me since I'm doing most of the house and yard work now. Dad has had two heart attacks and a trans ischemic attack so he can't do much either. Our dog is 13 years old and both her back hips are bad, to the point where we sometimes have to pick her up to put her on the porch. She is compensating for it though and isn't in a lot of pain. It isn't pouring, it's a friggin monsoon.

To be honest I really don't foresee being able to come off of disability unless some new miracle treatment comes out. I'm doing better then I was 2-3 years ago, but to make a comparison me 2-3 years ago was like a moped engine in a hummer, it just ain't gonna work and wears out fast. Now it's more like a VW Bug engine in the same hummer, under powered, overheats, never know when it'll fail, but it's all you got so you make due. My eventual hope is to be well enough to get certified as a first responder then get an EMT-B cert and either volunteer, or try for a paid on call.

I know I can't do things constantly, so being paid on call would be a decent option. When I went for my disability hearing some eight or nine years ago I was asked why do I think I should be on disability. My response was "I'd rather not be on disability. But until I find an employer who is willing to accept the fact that I'll have to call out with little to no notice and may have to leave at any time during the shift I don't see how I have a choice. I don't know of any employer who would hire someone like that, and to be honest it wouldn't be fair to other employees, prospective hires, or the employer".

Last edited by m2hmghb; 06-16-2013 at 15:58..
Old 06-16-2013, 15:57   #15
jakebrake
cracker

i'm praying for you and your mom. and i'm glad you're venting.

carry this **** 24/7 and never let it out, and it'll eat you up.
21 clubmember #629 freemasons clubmember # 57
Kalashnikov klub member # 413 black rifle club # 830
The road to Hell is paved with good intent
jakebrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 17:20   #16
Officer X

Prayers sent
Officer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 22:06   #17
sawgrass

m2 I'm glad that you are letting it out.
You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
sawgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 22:40   #18
Ohio Copper

Prayers enroute buddy.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:14   #19
ditchdoc24

Praying for you and your mom. We just found out that my father in law has cancer. He's getting ready to start chemo soon but it's been pretty rough on my wife. Keep your chin up, things will get better.
ditchdoc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:51   #20
scottydl

Prayers sent your way!

Caring for our aging parents is something most of us will deal with (I watched my parents go through it in recent years) since almost everyone lives longer now. Having your own medical issues on top of that has to be frustrating. Venting here is great, but you might also want to look around for a local support group (churches or nursing homes might have a list). You may be surprised what kind of local resources you may learn about through those channels.
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:48   #21
m2hmghb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdoc24 View Post
Praying for you and your mom. We just found out that my father in law has cancer. He's getting ready to start chemo soon but it's been pretty rough on my wife. Keep your chin up, things will get better.
I'm sorry about your father in law. Chemo is really rough. The best advice I can give him is to take the meds before you think you need them, it's easier to keep ahead of the nausea and other problems then it is to play catch up. I can always tell when mom takes the meds to increase the production of RBC and WBC, it causes the bones to hurt quite a bit. He's in my prayers doc.

Old 06-17-2013, 15:13   #22
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

Sorry man, I think for some reason it has been a lot harder lately for a lot of people I know.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:36   #23
merlynusn

prayers sent
merlynusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 15:13   #24
m2hmghb

Update time. Apparently there isn't just one infectious bacteria but there are two in her system. They put her on a third antibiotic. Her doctor doesn't expect to release her for another 10 days at the earliest.

Old 06-18-2013, 15:21   #25
Vigilant

Prayers en route again tonight.