Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-17-2013, 20:48   #26
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
Thats the way I do it, a box or two a week in each caliber I am stocking. I seem to be drawn to .223 and .45acp for some reason. I have slowly, but steadily built up a few thousand rounds of each over the years.

I buy ammo just for the range, I rarely dip into my stash for a range trip.
Yep. Me too.

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 21:31   #27
Michael Rye

When people quit paying forty bucks for a 50 round box of 45 ACP ball ammo, this crap will stop.

Honestly, 25 dollars is too much. More like 20 to 22 dollars.

You need to buy WHAT YOU USE, not what you think you need.

If you are one of these 'I go the range once a month' people, you have absolutely zero business trying to buy 250-500 rounds at a time.

Sorry for the venom, but I am sick of this!

Rant off.
Michael Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 21:39   #28
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rye View Post
When people quit paying forty bucks for a 50 round box of 45 ACP ball ammo, this crap will stop.

Honestly, 25 dollars is too much. More like 20 to 22 dollars.

You need to buy WHAT YOU USE, not what you think you need.

If you are one of these 'I go the range once a month' people, you have absolutely zero business trying to buy 250-500 rounds at a time.

Sorry for the venom, but I am sick of this!

Rant off.
Why do you say that regarding buying 250-500 rounds?

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 21:59   #29
Michael Rye

I say that simply because if someone is a once a month shooter, they have no need for a bulk ammo purchase.

I have no problem with people who go to the range once or twice a week...every week...buying that much ammo at a time. If you go the range that often, you are serious about what you are doing.

What's driving this are people on the margins who never give these things a thought until they perceive a possibility they can't have weapons anymore. They weren't serious to begin with...that's my point.

Ammo belongs to shooters, not wannabes who stockpile because 'the day may come'.
Michael Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 22:43   #30
cddanjr

I have resorted to a Lee Classic Turret! 4 pulls and I have a new 45acp. So far I have 500 rounds, with another 500 I will be break even on equipment, and my per cost will be down to less than 15! Now to get set up for .223!

Chuck
Old 06-17-2013, 23:22   #31
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
Caliber Corner

+

Caliber Corner

= $50 / 1,000 .45 auto, and that's being generous.

Add to that the fact you don't have to worry about who's buying what at Wal-Mart or on MidwayUSA.com. Just watch the lead melt, sit back and smile.

I'll be at the range... hope y'all make it.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:28   #32
JabbaNoBother

I try to get out to the range every month, handgun and long gun. I don't have a stacked wall of ammo....I send them down range. Sure, I may only have +200 in one of my calibers but I'm not gonna sit home and watch a bunch of boxes grow and grow and collect dust bunnies. Too me, good range time trumps sucking the Walmart teet and bragging on how many boxes were scored.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:31   #33
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

Learn to reload. Even in the worst of the times I found components and have a nice stash.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:52   #34
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
A lot of the people who are complaining about a lack of ammo are the kinds of people who never keep ammo on hand and always run to Walmart before a range session.

I keep a minimum of 1000rnds of ammo per caliber on hand.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:37   #35
Glockbuster

Quote:
I say that simply because if someone is a once a month shooter, they have no need for a bulk ammo purchase.

I have no problem with people who go to the range once or twice a week...every week...buying that much ammo at a time. If you go the range that often, you are serious about what you are doing.

What's driving this are people on the margins who never give these things a thought until they perceive a possibility they can't have weapons anymore. They weren't serious to begin with...that's my point.

Ammo belongs to shooters, not wannabes who stockpile because 'the day may come'.
It is free market my friend. You can buy as much as you can or want. You could easily make a case that ammo is a precious commodity like gold. Something that would only get harder and harder to get as time goes by and is not perishable. Unless of course you want to impose regulations on this and I think we have all pretty much seen enough of that.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited by Glockbuster; 06-23-2013 at 10:39..
Glockbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 18:25   #36
R*E

We need to convince the hoarders the Beanie Babies are a better investment.
R*E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 18:34   #37
itstime

I used to buy some everytime I went to Walmart. Except for the good stuff. I go to Walmart more than I shoot.
itstime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:22   #38
John Biltz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbird77 View Post
So do you stock both pd and range ammo or just pd? For example, I keep a stash of 1000 rounds of HST in both 40 and 45 and buy range ammo as needed.
I generally do not stock up for self defense. A couple of hundred rounds will last a very long time. In the unlikely event that I use it all and survive I'll go to ball. But I'm not stockpiling for the inevitable zombie apocalypse I just want to go shooting every week.
Old 06-28-2013, 18:56   #39
als54

Check, gunbot.net. It's an ammo search engine.
als54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 19:28   #40
JabbaNoBother

Quote:
Originally Posted by als54 View Post
Check, gunbot.net. It's an ammo search engine.
I think a few vendors aren't appearing on there anymore, I used it for a while...but I tend to just go straight different company's websites.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:58   #41
gatorboy

If I only shot once a month I would need at least 500 rds. I shoot 250-300 rds. at least once, sometimes twice weekly. All centerfire from handguns.
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:44   #42
t-shooter

I visited Cabela's yesterday. They had a significant inventory of handgun ammo including both range and defense ammo. Pricing was normal, not inflated at all. While reviewing my personal inventory in my head I was interrupted by a fellow customer stating that I should "buy every round I can afford" while it is available. My response was that if we only buy what we really need the odds of ammo being available next time we shop is much greater. He went on to say that he had purchased 2500 rounds of ammo for each weapon he owns when the shortage first began. He went on to say that he still has almost every round gathering dust in his garage.

I believe this is an excellent example how the shortage has been perpetuated. If the hoarders would back off and only purchase what they need on a monthly basis there would likely be enough ammo to go around.

My two cents worth.
t-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:02   #43
Cole125
Silver Membership

I keep two stashes one I shoot, and one I do not shoot(mostly expensive HD ammo, primo .223 loads). Every week I add a little to both stashes.

When I go shooting I replenish what I shoot, now there is plenty of .223, 9mm, and .45 acp available. .22 lr on the other hand is a thing of the past.

Last edited by Cole125; 06-29-2013 at 10:03..
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:23   #44
ashecht

Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
A lot of the people who are complaining about a lack of ammo are the kinds of people who never keep ammo on hand and always run to Walmart before a range session.

I keep a minimum of 1000rnds of ammo per caliber on hand.
Uh oh. I thought I was low on the totem pole with about 3k of9mm and 3k of .45
Ruger SR1911 Commander
Colt LE6920
ashecht is offline   Reply With Quote