Originally Posted by seanmac45 View Post
Training

Life experience

Sound judgement under stress

A track record of making life and death decisions

Maturity

Knowledge of all applicable state statutes

A track record of risking one's life to save and protect others
You forgot to add an overwhelming sense of entitlement. The only thing your 20 years on the job earned you is your pension.
Old 06-22-2013, 16:19   #62
clancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron View Post
Demanding equal outcomes for all! You sound just like Obama.
And you sound like you think you are entitled, too, just like a lot of Obama supporters. I don't care what one does for a living, soldier, fireman, or cop. All you are entitled to is your pension, not extra "perks" like one might have gotten in the Soviet Union.
Old 06-22-2013, 16:24   #63
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xArcher View Post
Been there done that, still applies. Conditions of employment. Served in the USN. Our ship was specifically targeted twice. The bad guys were splashed, by an other ship's assets. It is stressful knowing that your ship is the target / bait.
OK, thanks for your service. So do you qualify for VA hospital, PX and all those bennies?

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.

Last edited by Patchman; 06-22-2013 at 16:35..
Old 06-22-2013, 16:31   #64
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy View Post
You forgot to add an overwhelming sense of entitlement. The only thing your 20 years on the job earned you is your pension.
I know a doctor who is retired and he still has privilege's at the County hospital . Is that some sense of entitlement or should everybody in the County be able to reserve the facilities to perform procedures

Get the big boy pants on and accept the real world the way it is.
Old 06-22-2013, 16:31   #65
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
The only thing your 20 years on the job earned you is your pension.
And I'm sure you know from GNG threads, many retired LE after serving 20, 25 or even 30 years to qualify for a pension, are facing their pensions being taken away from them piece by piece.

So a LEO does whatever he/she is required of them for 20, 25 or even 30 years. Just so they're eligible for that pension. Then the pension system unilaterally says... "sorry, but we're taking this and that away..."

What have YOU done to stop that injustice?

Last edited by Patchman; 06-22-2013 at 16:34..
Old 06-22-2013, 16:37   #66
clancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
And I'm sure you know from GNG threads, many retired LE after serving 20, 25 or even 30 years to qualify for a pension, are facing their pensions being taken away from them piece by piece.

So a LEO does whatever he/she are required of them for 20, 25 or even 30 years. Just so they're eligible for that pension. Then the pension system unilaterally says... "sorry, but we're taking this and that away..."

What have YOU done to stop that injustice?
If it makes you feel any better, I lost my union pension, too. Due to "bad investments". So what should I do, expect special treatment? Life sucks, most of the time.
Old 06-22-2013, 16:39   #67
clancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
I know a doctor who is retired and he still has privilege's at the County hospital . Is that some sense of entitlement or should everybody in the County be able to reserve the facilities to perform procedures

Get the big boy pants on and accept the real world the way it is.
Perhaps you should accept that when a cop stops being a cop, he should not get any special privileges. I for one have always felt that cops shouldn't get special privileges to begin with.
Old 06-22-2013, 16:41   #68
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
I don't care what one does for a living, soldier, fireman, or cop. All you are entitled to is your pension...
So you agree that a pension promise made to a newly hired LEO 20, 25, 30 years ago, and which he/she fulfilled to the "T," should now be honored by the pension system to the "T." Right?

No excuses from the system about how they have no money today, etc... Shut up and pay up, right?

Old 06-22-2013, 16:43   #69
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
If it makes you feel any better, I lost my union pension, too. Due to "bad investments". So what should I do, expect special treatment? Life sucks, most of the time.
That's quite a change from your previous posts about how all a LEO is entitled to after 20 to 30 years of service of keeping you, your family and your community safe, is their pension.

Expect "special treatment" or "roll over and play dead?" That's your and your union's decision. And if your union decided to get a lobbyist to get something better, you'd consider that as special privileges for your union members?

Last edited by Patchman; 06-22-2013 at 16:49..
Old 06-22-2013, 16:51   #70
FiremanMike
Way too busy

Quote:
And I'd bet that pension burns your ass too..

I wish we could go back to a prosperous economy, for the obvious reasons as well as the fact that people stop *****ing about how good cops and firemen have it..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallNotBeInfringed
I humbly submit I have over one million Concealed Carry hours. First license is from early 80's.

Last edited by FiremanMike; 06-22-2013 at 16:51..
Old 06-22-2013, 16:56   #71
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
You were part of a union that had a union run retirement plan and then the union's system made some "bad investments?"

Old 06-22-2013, 16:57   #72
clancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
That's quite a change from your previous posts about how all a LEO is entitled to after 20 to 30 years of service of keeping you, your family and your community safe, is their pension.

Expect "special treatment" or "roll over and play dead?" That's your and your union's decision. And if your union decided to get a lobbyist to get something better, you'd consider that as special privileges for your union members?
I feel anyone who has put their time into a job that provide a pension has the right to expect that pension. In my case, I got a letter from my union in 2006 saying there was $106 million in the pension fund. in 2008 I got another letter stating, due to bad investments, the fund was dry. Sure, it pisses me off. I was kind of counting on it. now I will have to work until I can't stand up or am dead. But what can I do but just keep going?

But I still feel that all anyone is entitled to wen they retire is their pension. Some may think we are all equal, but some are more equal than others. I don't.
Old 06-22-2013, 16:57   #73
countrygun

Quote:
Perhaps you should accept that when a cop stops being a cop, he should not get any special privileges. I for one have always felt that cops shouldn't get special privileges to begin with.
Perhaps you should accept that some privileges carry on after retirement and get over it.

Or

You could answer the question.

Should everyone in the County be able to use the hospital facilities if a retired doctor is allowed to ?
Old 06-22-2013, 17:02   #74
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Read my previous posts about how cops have more of their rights restricted than civilians.

Also, if you don't understand the purpose, or "whys," of these laws, I recommend you read their preamble or the legislative intent. If you disagree as to the "why," recognize that that's just your personal bias.

Last edited by Patchman; 06-22-2013 at 17:03..
Old 06-22-2013, 17:09   #75
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Perhaps you should accept that some privileges carry on after retirement and get over it.

Or

You could answer the question.

Should everyone in the County be able to use the hospital facilities if a retired doctor is allowed to ?
And if such "privileges" are so important to the poster, perhaps he should have made the decision to be a LEO or MD.

Don't whine today about your failure to plan yesterday.

Old 06-22-2013, 17:21   #76
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
But I still feel that all anyone is entitled to wen they retire is their pension. Some may think we are all equal, but some are more equal than others. I don't.
First, I'm sorry about your pension situation. At my age (old), I understand how important a pension is, as part of the total retirement package.

And the grass is always greener on the other side. LEOs have less rights than non-LEOs and LEOs' freedoms are more restricted. You won't believe how many retired LEOs say their first taste of freedom is when they realize their 1A has been restored. They are now free to say what they want to whom they want.

Last edited by Patchman; 06-22-2013 at 18:09..
Old 06-22-2013, 18:23   #77
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

I still find it amazing that some people are under the illusion that life is fair.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
Old 06-22-2013, 19:06   #78
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
You make me laugh. Anything that anyone else has that YOU don't is "an entitlement".

I said it before and I will say it again.

I EARNED everything I have, pension, right to carry a concealed weapon and any other friggin' thing that comes with them the FIRST time I was shot at.

The next four times just increased my determination to live long enough to collect on the STATE LEGISLATED GUARANTEED PENSION that was part of the agreement when I signed up.

You don't like it? Pound sand, pal.

The City of New York has to pay me for the rest of my life and provide full health benefits. These things I earned with my blood, sweat and tears, with NO apologies to you or anyone like you.

Last edited by seanmac45; 06-22-2013 at 19:49..
Old 06-22-2013, 19:10   #79
wrenrj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmac45 View Post
Yeah, I figured the haters would jump in.

If you don't like it go piss in someone else's thread.

If there was a bill to be signed for everyone to be exempt I would push that just as hard.

But there isen't.

That's life.

Deal with it.

I gave 20 years of my life, my health, and my family time to the NYPD and the people of the city of New York. I've EARNED every single perk and exemption I receive, hundreds of times over.

It you haven't that's just tough.
Respectfully,definitely not a hater of LE, and I've breezed the threads since I posted and thank you for your service. I am a retired Army National Guard NCO of 21+ years but did not have a shot fired at me during my tenure, doesn't mean I was in the crosshairs. I stood up if needed and did what was asked of me.

If you believe your perk is to have an extended magazine to protect yourself just because you are a LEO is BS, Sorry, no hater as you were quick to imply.
Old 06-22-2013, 19:14   #80
mntrpr

I don't think I'm better than anyone else. But to come here to CT and ***** at us, probably the most pro 2A group of cops around, is just silly. Classic if I can't have it, nobody else should either. Childish.

Last edited by mntrpr; 06-22-2013 at 19:16..

Closed Thread