Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-23-2013, 00:22   #1
Agent6-3/8

Ever have your gun hit the floor?

Happened to me last night on a domestic. Short story is it was a rapidly deteriorating situation turning into a fight with a small child (2 years old or less) caught in the middle.

The other officers on scene couldn't see the child between me and the suspect when the suspect attempted to slam the door and was grabbed by another officer. As I moved to get the kid out of the way I some how missed my holster and my G22 landed muzzle first on concrete. I quickly recovered my pistol, secured it and joined the mess.

The good news is the child was not harmed and some how got (or was moved) out of the way. My G22 is only slightly worse for the wear with a scuff on the frame and a slightly bent recoil spring retention lug on the slide. (function is fine)

While I guess all is well that ends well I was upset with myself for temporarily loosing control of my weapon. Even though it was a rapidly evolving situation and s@!t happens I still screwed up...

Fess up guys, who else has pulled a dickweed move like that?

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2013, 00:42   #2
rockapede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent6-3/8 View Post
Happened to me last night on a domestic. Short story is it was a rapidly deteriorating situation turning into a fight with a small child (2 years old or less) caught in the middle.

The other officers on scene couldn't see the child between me and the suspect when the suspect attempted to slam the door and was grabbed by another officer. As I moved to get the kid out of the way I some how missed my holster and my G22 landed muzzle first on concrete. I quickly recovered my pistol, secured it and joined the mess.

The good news is the child was not harmed and some how got (or was moved) out of the way. My G22 is only slightly worse for the wear with a scuff on the frame and a slightly bent recoil spring retention lug on the slide. (function is fine)

While I guess all is well that ends well I was upset with myself for temporarily loosing control of my weapon. Even though it was a rapidly evolving situation and s@!t happens I still screwed up...

Fess up guys, who else has pulled a dickweed move like that?

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
A month ago I used my cell phone to look up a pill on a car search and left it in the car....

-Edward Conlon
rockapede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:40   #3
PinkoCommie
Unusual Member

That's why I carry a Glock. Not that a $3000 1911 couldn't take a fall like that -- I know it could. But having a $3000 gun hit the concrete would make me cry a little.
This wasn't me... --DaBigBR
I was hauling a large quotient of ass. --Cochese
PinkoCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:59   #4
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkoCommie View Post
That's why I carry a Glock. Not that a $3000 1911 couldn't take a fall like that -- I know it could. But having a $3000 gun hit the concrete would make me cry a little.
That's now my excuse as well lol.

Oh and I qualified for and competed in our Top Gun with my $398 POS.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:09   #5
DonGlock26

Back in the day , my issued Sig fell onto the pavement during a foot chase from an old thumbbreak holster. Crappy feeling. My partner scooped it up and threw it to me like a frisbee. Yeah, we really wanted to catch that guy and we did.

I bought a SSIII 070 security holster after that.

Last edited by DonGlock26; 06-23-2013 at 08:10..
DonGlock26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:10   #6
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

Younger guys are going to think this is crazy, but back in the day, narcotics agents used to routinely carry their guns, just stuck in the pants, Mexican style, because nobody but cops carried their guns in holsters.

I did, too, early in my career, and I dropped mine about ten times before I realized that you really do need a holster.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:33   #7
Vigilant

Not nearly as bad as leaving it in the crapper.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:10   #8
kpuscg04
ACTA NON VERBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
That's now my excuse as well lol.
Nobody's buying that.
kpuscg04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 13:51   #9
k9medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
Younger guys are going to think this is crazy, but back in the day, narcotics agents used to routinely carry their guns, just stuck in the pants, Mexican style, because nobody but cops carried their guns in holsters.

I did, too, early in my career, and I dropped mine about ten times before I realized that you really do need a holster.

I've tucked a .380 in my back pocket on several occasions...

Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
k9medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 14:53   #10
u n v kenny

Send a message via AIM to u n v kenny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
Yup

http://www.news4jax.com/news/boy-fin...k/-/index.html
Old 06-23-2013, 16:15   #11
ChiefWPD

Not my gun, but we were hitting a door on a narco warrant. One of the guys on the ram has his revolver (yes, it happened a couple of years ago) in a cheap clip on holster. Bounced out of his pants and hit the ground just as the door opened. I grabbed the piece and all was well.

Oopps.....
Old 06-23-2013, 16:26   #12
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post

I wonder if anybody, who had gotten use to an IWB holster behind the right hip, ever had to put their pistol back there without a holster for a similar reason and forgot they didn't have the holster after a long day. If they did that they might go into the bathroom to "have a sit down", and might mind you, drop the gun into a place one would not want to drop a gun. Especially if one somehow got in the habit of removing the gun AFTER loosening the pants belt.

Not that I have any knowledge of it actually happening, mind you but it would be THEORETICALLY possible would it not? Much like the old "slipping the cuffs in the pants "Mexican Style".

Last edited by countrygun; 06-23-2013 at 16:28..
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 23:22   #13
rdrkt

I once responded to a drug call in vacant house. Because it was a vacant house it had been robbed of all metal including the ducting and any grates over the vents. While clearing a room I fell through where the grate should have been and had one leg go completely through the floor into the basement and I fell leaving an absolutely awesome baseball sized bruise on my leg/thigh the next day. I thank god I had my finger at touch point or I definitely would have had a AD during the fall. Lesson learned you cant just watch what’s in front of you
rdrkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 23:46   #14
Jakestir

I saw a police officer drop a gun if that counts. I was in a BP and a couple cops walked in. The last guy tried to shimmy through the door as it was closing. Im not sure how but he some how snagged his holster on the door frame. Out comes tumbling a G22. It slid about 15 ft from him. He must have kicked it some how. His buddies jumped his case real hard. Even after they left I could here them in the parking lot giving him a hard time.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Jakestir is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:14   #15
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
I've had a gun fall out of a crappy holster back back way back when I was a young buck who didn't know better. Thankfully it was when I was getting out of a car and not during anything serious.

In the academy, there was this one older lady who was back there for a recert who talked about dropping her whole gun in the toilet while doing her business. She talked about it like it was a normal occurrence and didn't understand why the whole class was laughing their asses off.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:30   #16
chargingzebra

I put my G27 in a kydex holster in a running stroller when I'm running with my 1 year old. I forgot it was there after a long run and folded the stroller up, causing the gun to fall out and skitter across the pavement. Luckily no one at the run noticed and the only damage was some nicks on the holster. I sure felt dumb though.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
chargingzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:37   #17
wingryder

This is a Jinx thread! I will not answer for fear that karma will put me at the top of the list to drop mine in the middle of the mall tomorrow!

I haven't dropped one in about 15 years...

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

Last edited by wingryder; 06-24-2013 at 08:37..
wingryder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:21   #18
GD2J
GoDirectly2Jail

While still in the Academy, we were spending a week at a theme park closed for the season and conducting DUIs and other practicals there. I remember either taking my Sig out of the trunk or putting it into it, it slipped and fell onto the asphault, putting a nice gouge into the frame.

Looked around, no one saw - and I never said a word about it.
GD2J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:14   #19
Kadetklapp
Methberry PD

I may or may not have left my off duty revolver (Rossi 461) holstered and sitting on the roof of my grand Cherokee... drove 10 miles stopped for gas and lo and behold. I about fainted...

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 14:06   #20
Spiffums
I.C.P.

Not cop related

Took my OD G19 outta the center console one afternoon and had couple of other items in my off hand. I just let go somehow with my right hand and there she went. Scuffed the nose a little but there was that slo-mo OHHH CRAPPP!!! as I watched it drop.