SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:17   #41
deputy tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hansen View Post
I broke the jaw of my first Gerber--completely due to abuse on my part--I called to ask about repairs, and said I would happily pay, since it was my fault for having abused the tool. I shipped it, and 2 days later a brand new pair came--no charge. I went out that day, and bought the needle-nosed version of the same tool. I carry it to this day.

Years of hard daily wear later:

The Cutting Edge

No one can accuse it of being a sheath queen. LMAO
Fred, nothing wrong with honest wear on a tool. My Gerber is the older model without the locking blades. Still works well after all of these years. tom.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus cel The world will come to an end but music and love will endure
deputy tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:19   #42
deputy tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcochran View Post
Cirdan - I agree, way overpriced. This is why I bought USED through eBay until about a year ago. Then, even the prices on eBay went crazy.

I figured that: 1. most people are honest when describing a used item; 2. a tool on a leatherman is either broken or not; 3. I don't carry about scratches on a tool. However, with a slight improvement in the economy for some people, the prices on used tools has skyrocketed and so I don't buy anymore.
I agree that new they are very pricey but good used ones are still available at great prices. I bought a pre owned un-used Crunch for less than the cost of lunch this past Feb. at a gunshow. tom.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus cel The world will come to an end but music and love will endure
Old 09-10-2013, 18:33   #43
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

There are some of the Leathermans that I feel cost to much for what they are.
The only one I ever purchased that I felt I got ripped off on, is the Surge. It's one of the larger tools, but is full of plastic. Not only that, but it has two of the same sheep's head blades.

A mistake for sure, but I don't even use one let alone two.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 19:27   #44
BrentC

Has anyone seen a Leathermen MUT? Saw a video of one, pretty neat. I will see if I can find the video.
BrentC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 19:33   #45
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

I have.

I would have probably bought one, had I not already had the cleaning stuff associated with the AR.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:32   #46
Fred Hansen
Liberal Bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy tom View Post
Fred, nothing wrong with honest wear on a tool. My Gerber is the older model without the locking blades. Still works well after all of these years. tom.
The pair whose jaw I broke was the original model--without the locking blades. I hit a bunch of barbed wire (that the owner swore wasn't there) while field mowing for a neighbor. In my haste to clear the tangled mess, I reefed too hard on the pliers and *snap!*...

I think that pair was about 6-7 years old, and by the time I broke them, the locking type were out. I'm pretty sure that was the first year the locks became available.

I can't stand the newer models I've tried. I can't snap them open (consistently) with one hand; and since I use them anywhere from 10-300+ times a day, they are useless to me if they can't be deployed within 1-2 seconds.

When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. - George Santayana
Fred Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:56   #47
GunHo198

I prefer the Gerber as well for the one handed operation. Had one in the Marines and loved it. My buddy came back from Afghanistan and gave me his. While out camping I loaned it to a guy and he lost it in the woods. Never loan your crap out or let it get out of site. Even if the guys a mechanic.

My family bought me a nice Leatherman. It's a good tool. But it's no Gerber...
Old 09-11-2013, 20:00   #48
Smooth_squeeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunHo198 View Post

My family bought me a nice Leatherman. It's a good tool. But it's no Gerber...

Have you tried the Leatherman OHT? In your opinion, the Gerber's better, right? Which model?

"Age wrinkles the body. Quitting wrinkles the soul." and "Years wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul." Douglas MacArthur

Last edited by Smooth_squeeze; 09-11-2013 at 20:10..
Smooth_squeeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 21:35   #49
GunHo198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth_squeeze View Post
Have you tried the Leatherman OHT? In your opinion, the Gerber's better, right? Which model?
Haven't seen the OHT yet. I'll have to look it up. The Gerber I had was a model 600. The Leathermen I have is a Wave. It's a good tool with more features. But the simplicity of the Gerber and its smooth edges just feels more comfortable. I've seen the Gerber Diesels with more features and might check into one of those as well.
Old 09-11-2013, 21:46   #50
GunHo198

Multi-Tools...

Just saw the OHT. Looks pretty nice with 1 hand operation. Wonder if I can find one locally.

Update:

Just found my first Gerber multi tool that I had in the Marines. It has a broken can opener. Since it has a lifetime warranty ill be sending it to Gerber for repair or replacement. I prefer a repair, but its an old tool and the pins are different on the newer models even though they look the same. A replacement will be ok if that's all they can do I guess...

I'll take some pics and post up the out come later in the thread. Turn around time is around 4 weeks...

Last edited by GunHo198; 09-12-2013 at 01:40..
GunHo198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:57   #51
Smooth_squeeze

Quote:
Just saw the OHT. Looks pretty nice with 1 hand operation. Wonder if I can find one locally.
I found mine at REI. They are available on Amazon, too.

"Age wrinkles the body. Quitting wrinkles the soul." and "Years wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul." Douglas MacArthur
Smooth_squeeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:32   #52
deputy tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hansen View Post
The pair whose jaw I broke was the original model--without the locking blades. I hit a bunch of barbed wire (that the owner swore wasn't there) while field mowing for a neighbor. In my haste to clear the tangled mess, I reefed too hard on the pliers and *snap!*...

I think that pair was about 6-7 years old, and by the time I broke them, the locking type were out. I'm pretty sure that was the first year the locks became available.

I can't stand the newer models I've tried. I can't snap them open (consistently) with one hand; and since I use them anywhere from 10-300+ times a day, they are useless to me if they can't be deployed within 1-2 seconds.

Yep the Gerbers certainly do open fast. I keep mine in the dresser drawer for quick repairs around the house. Beats going to the basement for other tools. Plus I don't want to over use it due to sentimental attachment to it.tom.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Old 09-12-2013, 12:36   #53
deputy tom

Quote:

Update:

Just found my first Gerber multi tool that I had in the Marines. It has a broken can opener. Since it has a lifetime warranty ill be sending it to Gerber for repair or replacement. I prefer a repair, but its an old tool and the pins are different on the newer models even though they look the same. A replacement will be ok if that's all they can do I guess...

I'll take some pics and post up the out come later in the thread. Turn around time is around 4 weeks...
Keep us posted on this. tom.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Old 09-12-2013, 12:47   #54
itstime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth_squeeze View Post
It's BETTER than it looks, IMHO.

All the blades/tools on it lock open. They are stiff, but it's doable with one hand, especially if wearing a glove. Definitely a hard-use item. If you haven't already, check this out: www.leatherman.com/product/OHT
Well I should have it tomorrow. I do like the looks of it.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 22:13   #55
GunHo198

Did your new tool come in?

I sent my 25 year old Gerber off for warranty work. The Lifetime Warranty doesn't cover acts of Nature or normal ware. But it does cover breakage from normal use that it was intended for. The can opener broke opening a can. Hopefully it's covered. (Never did get that can opened.)
Old 09-16-2013, 23:12   #56
Von Hayes

Just got my first SOG after years of having 3 different Gerbers. I am not a hard/heavy user.

Got it for $54 off Amazon.

I was always skeptical of leatherman's SOG's Etc, and the one-handed thing was what attracted me/kept me from trying another brand.

The SOG is in a different league.

With the gerber, I could't cut guitar strings to save my life (I can;t play a lick yet). It would slip between the blades and I would have to try and "chew" my way through it.

This thing.......no issue at all.

The compound leverage gears, and overall "tightness" of it is way better.

Oh, and it can be opened one handed, no problem.

Maybe they have some newer Gerbers out now that might compare,

Not sure.

Last edited by Von Hayes; 09-16-2013 at 23:14..
Von Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 23:57   #57
Fred Hansen
Liberal Bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Hayes View Post
Just got my first SOG after years of having 3 different Gerbers. I am not a hard/heavy user.

Got it for $54 off Amazon.

I was always skeptical of leatherman's SOG's Etc, and the one-handed thing was what attracted me/kept me from trying another brand.

The SOG is in a different league.

With the gerber, I could't cut guitar strings to save my life (I can;t play a lick yet). It would slip between the blades and I would have to try and "chew" my way through it.

This thing.......no issue at all.

The compound leverage gears, and overall "tightness" of it is way better.

Oh, and it can be opened one handed, no problem.

Maybe they have some newer Gerbers out now that might compare,

Not sure.
Which SOG model flicks open? All the models I have seen unfold like Leatherman.

AFAIK SOG isn't pro-Commiecrat like Leatherman is; if SOG has one that opens without unfolding, I'd at least check it out.
When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. - George Santayana
Old 09-17-2013, 00:20   #58
Von Hayes

It unfolds with one hand. The head is fixed.

It's like opening a butterfly knife.

Last edited by Von Hayes; 09-17-2013 at 00:20..
Von Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 00:23   #59
Fred Hansen
Liberal Bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Hayes View Post
It unfolds with one hand. The head is fixed.

It's like opening a butterfly knife.

Opening and closing a SOG Multitool one-handed - YouTube
Oh. That's a deal breaker.

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-17-2013, 00:47   #60
Bren
NRA Life Member

I have a couple of Leathermans and 2 or 3 Army-issued Gerbers. My favorite is my Leatherman Wave. Has everything I need, while still being small and light.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote