Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-12-2013, 14:13   #1
Glockinfinity

"Unload and show clear?"

Forgive my ignorance, but I will soon be attending my first outdoor GSSF match and I was wondering about one thing: Since you can typically load up to 11 rounds and may not need all of them, when you "unload and show clear" you will likely dump the chambered round into the ground. Are you required to pick it up or can it be left behind?

I know that some would not think of leaving 6 rounds behind, but in the interest of time and not bending over, looking in the sand/mud for the round and getting my sweaty hands all over a sandy/muddy round in the middle of a match, I guess I would prefer to let it go.
Glockinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 14:18   #2
bryandover

Most of the time there is a barrel or table in front of you, I slowly eject the round on the barrel so I can pick it up. But you are not required to pick it up.
bryandover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 14:24   #3
SARDG

You don't have to retrieve your round, but when you unload, twist the ejection port over and close to the table/bench and dump it there - OR, if you leave your bag on the bench, eject it there. IF your round wants to roll to the ground, let it roll rather than doing a lot of quick reaching around the muzzle of a gun that the RO hasn't yet cleared. I always look for my rounds that may have ended up on the ground - but if I can't find it pretty quickly, I move on.

When we shoot Steel, our group ROs just put their hand up to trusted shooter's ports and catch the round. I don't like doing that at GSSF because there are many inexperienced shooters.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 15:23   #4
RonS

I slowly retract the slide and let it drop to the table or barrel at the stage. I used to cover the ejection port with my left hand while retracting the slide to catch it but one person observing that suggested that it is possible for a round to be fired by the ejector if a couple of rare circumstances happen to coincide. Since I assume that is common belief I no longer do that except when alone.

I have gotten pretty good at directing it where I want it. I would not leave a live round on the ground myself. I would feel pretty bad if someone stepped on it and a one in a million chance set it off.
Old 09-12-2013, 15:37   #5
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post
...I used to cover the ejection port with my left hand while retracting the slide to catch it but one person observing that suggested that it is possible for a round to be fired by the ejector if a couple of rare circumstances happen to coincide...

...I would not leave a live round on the ground myself. I would feel pretty bad if someone stepped on it and a one in a million chance set it off.
As an RO, the other thing I REALLY don't like to see is the fancy eject-and-catch move. If I see it once, I ask the shooter not to do it again.

I RO about 1 gazillion (+/-) stages of multiple strings every year in many disciplines and RO at public ranges where (in the end) live rounds end up on the ground - both concrete and dirt/sand. So far, no 1/1M detonations. IF it ever happened, live rounds become 'less-lethal' rounds when not confined by a barrel. I wouldn't be concerned.
Old 09-12-2013, 16:06   #6
Glockinfinity

Outstanding replies, all. Thanks!

BTW: Don't worry about me doing that "Hollywood" stunt by flipping it up and catching the round up in the air.
Glockinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 16:11   #7
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDG View Post
As an RO, the other thing I REALLY don't like to see is the fancy eject-and-catch move. If I see it once, I ask the shooter not to do it again.
LOL. I'd expect that statement from you.

I shoot USPSA. I'd say more people DO do this than don't. I do it, have done it for years. It's quick, clean, and concise. And you can bet that the people who do it are not newbs. It actually takes some practice and something you learn after you're already an accomplished shooter, at least from what I've seen.

I've never seen a newb try it (yet), only shooters that have lots of experience.

But yeah.... in GSSF there's always a barrel or table or something in front of you. if you're a newb, just hold the gun with the ejection port pointing down, and slowly rack the slide and the round will fall out (magazine already out, obviously).

If you're not sure what we're talking about, I use that technique in this video at the :42 second mark. Again at the 1:36 mark. Unload and show clear. boom! done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!

Last edited by ron59; 09-12-2013 at 17:46..
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 16:31   #8
Glockrunner
HOOYA DEEPSEA

Send a message via Yahoo to Glockrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockinfinity View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but I will soon be attending my first outdoor GSSF match and I was wondering about one thing: Since you can typically load up to 11 rounds and may not need all of them, when you "unload and show clear" you will likely dump the chambered round into the ground. Are you required to pick it up or can it be left behind?

I know that some would not think of leaving 6 rounds behind, but in the interest of time and not bending over, looking in the sand/mud for the round and getting my sweaty hands all over a sandy/muddy round in the middle of a match, I guess I would prefer to let it go.
Remove the magazine from the well and set it on the table. Rack the slide slowly and the chambered round will fall out and down thru the magazine well onto the table. Easy enough for most to accomplish. No drama to get that last rund out.

IF you are still shooting the stage leave the last round in the chamber and reload another magazine with only 10 rounds. Now you are topped off for the next string of fire.

You are new to the game so TAKE YOUR TIME and handle the pistol safely. Practice with snap caps if you like.

Last edited by Glockrunner; 09-12-2013 at 16:35..
Glockrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 16:47   #9
RonS

I've only seen the eject and snatch on video. I prefer to control the round as much as possible, my round, my problem. About once a week I spill hot tea over my hand on the way to my desk, no going to show my ass at a range trying to be fancy.
Old 09-12-2013, 18:04   #10
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron59 View Post
LOL. I'd expect that statement from you...
...just trying to maintain safety in an uncertain environment.
Old 09-12-2013, 18:58   #11
Justin1911

I like to flip it in the air Hollywood style baby
Justin1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 19:07   #12
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1911 View Post
Yeah... I think I remember you doin' that. Are you an experienced shooter???

It does set a shaky example for newbs, though.
Old 09-12-2013, 19:10   #13
AJE
*goes to 11*

Send a message via AIM to AJE Send a message via Yahoo to AJE
I slowly eject it on the table. I hate the "flip it in the air and catch it".
Old 09-12-2013, 20:39   #14
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaTrooper
You would really only leave 3 rounds since there are only 3 stages. If you thumb the "11th" out of the mag before you put the next mag in the gun.

I usually cycle the slide over my bag and drop the round in.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:06   #15
Roadkill_751
5 or 6 rounds?

!

Quote:
I learn this from the GM shooter known as KC. I have mastered this!!!!! No dropping rounds for me!!!!
Old 09-13-2013, 07:28   #16
wilhelm51

I've already shown I can't hit a plate I'm not about to show everyone I can't catch a round in mid air.

wilhelm

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
wilhelm51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:25   #17
ede
Bama's Friend

Quote:
I tried to learn that move to go with all the cool moves Bama has taught me. I quit after a while I either eject to the ground or table. There's a reason a finger on my left hand is a lot shorter than the others.
PM Black Diamond 538 F&AM
Bamatrooper taught Chuck Norris how to shoot.
ede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:32   #18
Ranger54

I just eject keeping the muzzle in a safe direction and then bag on command. Sometimes the RO will hand me the round, if not, I just leave the shooting position rather than take time looking for it, keep the match moving.
Ranger54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:40   #19
PM720

I usually end up at slide lock so its not an issue.

Scott
PM720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 15:41   #20
Comrade Bork

I go from the "tucked" position so the following is not a problem.

If you go from the "low ready" position, this probably does not work.

It does not bother me to have my gunbag open on the table in front of me.

After the last round, I just hit the mag button, which drops the mag in the bag.

Then, I rotate the gun, while still pointed at the targets, until the ejection port is "down", over the bag.

Then, just draw the slide back & the round also drops in the bag.

Lock open, show clear, slide down, striker down, pop it into a side pocket of the bag, pick up bag, walk off.

Done.

Fast, safe, convenient.

Retrieve the mag & round out of the bottom of your bag, at your leisure later.

Last edited by Comrade Bork; 09-13-2013 at 15:42..
Comrade Bork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 16:21   #21
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaTrooper
Quote:
Originally Posted by ede View Post
I tried to learn that move to go with all the cool moves Bama has taught me. I quit after a while I either eject to the ground or table. There's a reason a finger on my left hand is a lot shorter than the others.
Because if it was any longer you'd poke out your hypothalamus.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:51   #22
ede
Bama's Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaTrooper View Post
Because if it was any longer you'd poke out your hypothalamus.
It's such a small target even with all your teaching and no matter how long my finger I don't think there's a chance in the world I could hit it.
PM Black Diamond 538 F&AM
Bamatrooper taught Chuck Norris how to shoot.
ede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:33   #23
shadow_dog
Hilljack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ede View Post
Heck I figured your finger was shorter from polishing his vehicles all the time or either from cleaning his lawnmower deck while you're mowing his yard.