Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-08-2013, 21:16   #1
19crew

Can someone explain GSSF matches to me?

Rookie here, looking to shoot a GSSF match that's local next month.

I'm confused between the divisions and what's in each one.

Does each division shoot the same stations?
19crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 22:14   #2
stolenphot0
RTF2 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19crew View Post

Yes. If you are just a run of the mill guy with a 17 (22, 31 ect..) you can shoot Am Civilian. If you are an officer you can shoot Guardian I believe. If you are a race gun guy you can shoot unlimited. If you have a .45/10mm you can shoot heavy metal. if you have baby glocks you can shoot another division. Some guns lets you shoot multiple divisions. The 34/35 can only shoot unlimited I believe.

That's the basic gist of it. I shot my first one last May. My 10 year old shot also. She had a blast. We went in for the fun factor, not to win. i randomly won $50 even.

More answers and better detail can be given here

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37
stolenphot0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 22:16   #3
SARDG

Quote:

If the mods don't move this, take all your questions to the GSSF Forum and repost.
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37

You will eventually (sooner, rather than later) have to read the rules in the latest Glock Report:
http://gssfonline.com/

Guns allowed in each Division are listed on the registration form at the above link.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:46   #4
Buckshot Barry

I'm curious if all the stages are shot from a stationary position, if there are magazine changes, and if they all start from the low ready. Thanks.
Buckshot Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 13:09   #5
ron59
Bustin Caps

All "stages" are shot from low ready. There is NO movement, and no "on the clock" reloads.
At the same time? It's a severe test of actual marksmanship, at speed. I shoot both GSSF and USPSA. USPSA is tough, but doesn't penalize non-A hits nearly like GSSF does. And 6 shots at 25 yards will surely test your speed/accuracy.

Regardless of which division you enter, you will always shoot all 3 types of stages.
Glock M
5 to Glock
Glock the Plates

There should be multiple setups of each of these, and while the organizing staff has a *choice* of which Glock M setup they want to use... whichever one is chosen will be used at all bays for that match. Same with the other 2.

GSSF is a blast. People who shoot USPSA want to say that GSSF is no challenge because of the lack of movement, reloads, draws from holster, etc. But I'd love to see how they score. To WIN in GSSF, you have to be one heckuva shot. It tests your pure shooting ability much tougher than USPSA ever thought about doing.

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 13:26   #6
Jeffrey Lebowski
Not a golfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron59 View Post
GSSF is a blast.
I just did my first. I can't wait to try again, it really was a huge blast. The plates gave me absolute fits, but I'm going to work on it.
Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 15:13   #7
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

While we're on the topic, great! The no movement part hooked me. Can you give a better description of the event? I'm specifically needing to know about time spent standing and walking. I'm limited by muscular dystrophy, can walk short distances, stand for 10, sometimes 15 minutes.

No sympathy wanted, had these limits for just a couple years and still very angry that I was the lucky recipient of MD.

I go to a range that has benches where I sit to reload. Often carry a folding chair just in case. Not looking for any promises, just a word from someone who's been there.

Thanks.
Old 09-09-2013, 15:56   #8
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul53 View Post
While we're on the topic, great! The no movement part hooked me. Can you give a better description of the event? I'm specifically needing to know about time spent standing and walking. I'm limited by muscular dystrophy, can walk short distances, stand for 10, sometimes 15 minutes.

No sympathy wanted, had these limits for just a couple years and still very angry that I was the lucky recipient of MD.

I go to a range that has benches where I sit to reload. Often carry a folding chair just in case. Not looking for any promises, just a word from someone who's been there.

Thanks.
You set your own pace and can take up to 2 full days to complete whatever you decide to shoot. You don't have to complete a Division in a single day. While some folks torture themselves and shoot 3 Divisions in a row (or more, under special circumstances) without essentially leaving the shooting position, you can simply shoot one Division (3 or 4 strings) and then go rest and reload. Each Division/gun is designed or expected to take 5 minutes - including scoring. It's advisable to go down range when your targets are scored - but you don't have to. You may then reload mags anywhere at all at the entire venue EXCEPT Safe Areas where ammo is NOT allowed. You should have at least 4 mags per Division so that you don't need to reload in the middle of a stage. If you don't have 4, recruit someone to reload for you while you continue shooting the stage.

Bring a chair of some type to the positions as there is no guarantee of seating being available. Frequently there are long walks to the different shooting bays, but I've never seen a match that doesn't have staff with ATVs/golf carts to get folks where they need to be. Let them know at registration that you may need a ride around. Toward the end of the day, I'm always looking for a ride myself.

You didn't say that you use a wheelchair, but if you do, most (but not all) venues have workable terrain for motorized chairs and you may shoot at the stage from your wheelchair.
Old 09-09-2013, 16:40   #9
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Wow, sounds doable! Thanks ever so much. No wheelchair, could use a cane but with handicapped plates I only go places I can easily walk, or to stores where I can use a carriage for assist. Some days are better than others.

The closest matches I've seen are a days drive from El Paso, but I think I can do that. Just trying for some camaraderie and what I hear about the GSSF sounds great.
Old 09-09-2013, 17:23   #10
shadow_dog
Hilljack

Fun and addictive
Old 09-09-2013, 17:28   #11
Comrade Bork

!

Quote:

Thanks.
A quadraplegic, paralized from the neck down, has shot GSSF.

Wheelchair bound?

Fairly common.

You your condition requires that you shoot seated, just tell them that on the stages. You might have to provide your own stool or chair, though.
Comrade Bork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 17:47   #12
SARDG

Quote:
Wow, sounds doable! Thanks ever so much...
You are welcome. Assuming you are not a Master yet, there are several Special Categories in Amateur Civilian, among them 'girl', 'kid', 'old fart', 'real old fart', and 'challenged'. Separate additonal prizes exist for winning shooters in each of those categories. Check the rules to see what may apply and check ALL appropriate boxes on the reg form. In the good ol' days I could win High Female AND High Senior (and eventually High Super Senior). Good for 75 extra bucks each.
Old 09-09-2013, 21:39   #13
Don At PC

Doesn't anyone read the rules at www.gssfonline.com or is our country getting to the point they don't know how to read. Reasonable questions are great but come on folks some lately are waaaaaaaay out there.

Don
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Retired A.F. Chief 1961-1991
Don At PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 22:12   #14
19crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don At PC View Post
Doesn't anyone read the rules at www.gssfonline.com or is our country getting to the point they don't know how to read. Reasonable questions are great but come on folks some lately are waaaaaaaay out there.

Don

I looked on the site before posting, they don't blatantly post the rules and regulations. In fact they are hidden in the lower corner of the website(Glock Report). Why isn't the info on a main tab? Probably because they want you to buy a membership to find out more.

Show me where I can find anything about divisions on the main page.

Last edited by 19crew; 09-09-2013 at 22:13..
19crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 22:45   #15
Teddydogno1

From the GSSFOnline home page, click the Hot Topics button in the banner. From the resulting page, click on "Current GSSF rules"..."more info".

Or http://www.gssfonline.com/glockrpt/C...GSSF_Rules.pdf

directly.

Hope this helps. Note that I shot my first match yesterday and had looked ALL OVER the site for this info and only found it AFTER I returned home. Has all of the classes, guns and prize info.

Rob
Teddydogno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 23:23   #16
SARDG

Quote:
I looked on the site before posting, they don't blatantly post the rules and regulations. In fact they are hidden in the lower corner of the website(Glock Report). Why isn't the info on a main tab? Probably because they want you to buy a membership to find out more.

Show me where I can find anything about divisions on the main page.
Because you want to know about "Divisions", and the next person wants to know about "Special Categories", and the next gal has a question about prizes and awards, and the next......

Like ALL sanctioned match competition (IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge, etc, etc...) and the associated websites; the rules are accessed by a link from the main page. A rule or two or three on the Home Page is not how any website is organized. It would be chaos. ONLY the new IDPA site blatantly posts a link to the rules on the Home Page and I applaud them for that. The old IDPA site was cr*p - just like GSSF's current, but outdated site. I wouldn't hold my breath for improvements and the 'Rules' link is on the Home Page that I pointed out in post #3.

I found (and read) the rules from cover-to-cover before attending my first match, which every competitor should do - but NOTHING gets your ears wet like attending, shooting, and generally getting involved in the process. I RO'ed the second day at my first match. Now, I still RO for 2 days at each match I attend AND routinely give out the printed stickers to those who pre-registered while GSSF staff does the new registrants. I'm rarely around to set up, but frequently around to help tear down.

Read the rules, go to the match, stick your nose into the process, pitch in and help... and you will be a Jedi, too.

BTW, when you've finished the general rules, look up the Range Officer documents and read all of them for a more in-depth understanding.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:55   #17
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

I needed information from someone who had attended an event. Physical limitations are still new to me. 5 years ago I climbed mountains, literally. Now I can't climb more than a few steps. I'm still looking to find ways to stay involved in life. I can handle small to medium sized stores but will never walk a mall again, for instance.

I had read the rules and some posts by people who'd attended events. All that had deterred me from joining. The nearest events for me would require a days drive each way, and a few nights in a motel. That's a sizeable investment on a fixed income. Doing this only to find the event to be too physically challenging would be a big let down.

To those who have given useful information, immeasurable thanks. If my posts have annoyed you, walk a hundred yards in my shoes.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:08   #18
Jeffrey Lebowski
Not a golfer

Paul53 - I think you'll have a really good time. It seems like it would be difficult not to do so! The match I got to wasn't crowded at all. I could have spent all day shooting it - there was tons of time. Like I said, I can't wait to try again.
Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:46   #19
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Thanks Jeffrey et al. 2 year membership sent.

If your not familiar with the Southwest, Tuscon AZ is much closer than The East Texas events (El Paso to San Antonio = 660 miles) so if I can get my feces correlated in time I might be shooting in Tuscon. The fellow Glockers are the reason to go. If I win something, all the better.

Wishing all responders happy and healthy.

Paul
Old 09-10-2013, 10:56   #20
SARDG

Quote:
Thanks Jeffrey et al. 2 year membership sent.

If your not familiar with the Southwest, Tuscon AZ is much closer than The East Texas events (El Paso to San Antonio = 660 miles)...

Paul
I've driven across TX several times and drove to the San Antonio match from the Tampa area a couple of years ago. The state never ends and is actually larger than France. In addition... All My Ex's Live In Texas.