Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:07   #1
shootG19

G26 for IPSC

Does anyone shoot a G26 for competition? I live in NY and with our new "Safe Act" I feel my G17 is really not a good choice anymore. It is too big for me to carry concealed and since we can only load 7 rounds it makes the full size G17 almost irrelevant. You can get the same number of bullets in a smaller gun. Here's my issue, I use my 17 for IPSC, steel challenge and IDPA and without having an extra $600 to by a G26, I am thinking of trading my Gen 4 G17 for a Gen 4 G26, thereby giving me a better gun for carry, but what about competition. I am thinking what better way to get to know your carry gun than competing with it. I know folks will suggest the 19, but I want to know about the 26. Any thoughts?
shootG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:30   #2
MajorD

Fellow ny guy here. You don't lose anything going to a 26 except sight radius ( doesn't matter with the big scoring rings on ipsc targets imo ) and a bit harder to reload quickly since there is less mag to grab a hold of but if it will be your carry gun practicing with your carry gun makes perfect sense. Since starting use of a 26 in subcompact class at gssf I analyzed my scores over the last 3 years the difference in score between my 19 and 26 was exactly one second! I can say they perform equally well. There is a school of thought the subs are a bit more inherently accurate than the full size
MajorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 21:02   #3
xmanhockey7

Hickok45 said he used to compete with a subcompact Glock.
Old 09-12-2013, 21:22   #4
glockman99

Rather than a G26, I'd use a G19 (because of the longer grip), but if a G26 is what you have, practice with it and see where you stand.
glockman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 21:24   #5
Bren
NRA Life Member

I have shot GSSF (obviously) and IDPA with Glock 26 and 27. I see no reason not to. Even though I lean toward the competitive shooters, I still consider local matches to be mainly practice for self-defense shooting.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 22:15   #6
Clusterfrack

A G26 is going to be a significant disadvantage for USPSA if you're in it to win it. I carry a 26 and a 19, but compete with a gamer-gun G34 with adjustable FO sights, Jager striker, and Vanek trigger.
Old 09-12-2013, 22:24   #7
Cirdan

The G26 does have a shorter grip. I put a Pearce extension on two of my mags.

Otherwise, I love the G26, and it shoots almost as well as my full-sized Beretta.
Windham SRC
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:15   #8
shootG19

Thanks everyone,
I am really not interested in becoming a "real" competitive shooter. I enjoy the shooting and its a great way to get "daddy time" and hang with some like minded people for a few hours.That being said, I think going with the 26 and getting some practice with a new carry gun might be the way to go.
shootG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:46   #9
randr1979

26 a ok in ipsc

stick to it man, i score better on my subcompact than many of my other friends with their full sized prod guns.
randr1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:56   #10
tinman517

For IDPA, I shoot what I CC, which are the 26 and 19. Haven't used my 30SF, yet.

It's a competition with myself. The shoots are a great opportunity for me to better my skills with my carry guns.
tinman517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 13:09   #11
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootG19 View Post
Thanks everyone,
I am really not interested in becoming a "real" competitive shooter. I enjoy the shooting and its a great way to get "daddy time" and hang with some like minded people for a few hours.That being said, I think going with the 26 and getting some practice with a new carry gun might be the way to go.
There you have it. Shoot what benefits you.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 13:17   #12
sciolist

I am a USPSA Production Master. For that purpose, I shoot a G34. I carry a G26, which I have also shot in a number of Level 1 outlaw matches. I also have a G19 that I sometimes carry and shoot at the range.

IPSC, USPSA and IDPA are games. There is only one kind of shooting. Speed and accuracy are tactics as much as anything else that might be brought to bear in a situation on the street.

For competition, a full-size frame is easier to grip and manipulate than a compact or sub-compact. A full-size frame is better for leaning to draw and reload. Those skills transfer to carry gear as a function of the extent to which they are developed. The same hardware does not necessarily need to be used for both.

My advice would be to keep your G17 and save up for a G26 to carry. The process of developing your ability to shoot and manipulate the G17 will strongly inform your ability with the G26. Of course you will also want to practice with the 26, but let them be two separate, complimentary things. They will add up to more than the sum of their parts.
sciolist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 13:27   #13
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciolist View Post
I am a USPSA Production Master. For that purpose, I shoot a G34. I carry a G26, which I have also shot in a number of Level 1 outlaw matches. I also have a G19 that I sometimes carry and shoot at the range.

IPSC, USPSA and IDPA are games. There is only one kind of shooting. Speed and accuracy are tactics as much as anything else that might be brought to bear in a situation on the street.

For competition, a full-size frame is easier to grip and manipulate than a compact or sub-compact. A full-size frame is better for leaning to draw and reload. Those skills transfer to carry gear as a function of the extent to which they are developed. The same hardware does not necessarily need to be used for both.

My advice would be to keep your G17 and save up for a G26 to carry. The process of developing your ability to shoot and manipulate the G17 will strongly inform your ability with the G26. Of course you will also want to practice with the 26, but let them be two separate, complimentary things. They will add up to more than the sum of their parts.

Excellent post. I'll add another thing, having a separate gun to shoot in competition is also a good thing, especially if you catch the bug and start putting a lot of rounds down range. My carry guns get cleaned after they are shot, but competition guns will go 2,000+ (and usually much more) between cleanings. I wouldn't want to have to clean a gun after each match, and I wouldn't want my carry gun accumulating 50K rounds over a couple years or so.
Old 06-04-2014, 13:50   #14
Lindenwood

After from going from a 17L to a G26 my scores actually improved. I also printed better groups with the G26 than the 17L. Once out of 44 shooters I placed 8th overall in a local IPSC-based match. I had by far the smallest gun. I was drawing from my concealment holster with the shirt tucked behind it so as to leave it exposed. Most of the middle 30 were shooting basic full-sized service pistols and I remember a couple of G19s and other compacts. All the top 5 shooters were shooting gamed-out G34s and .38Super 1911s with race holsters and such.

As mentioned, I mostly shot competitions to better myself rather than to compete, but I was pleasantly surprised to see how easy it was to shoot the G26 well. And most of the "[gun too small]" comments faded off by the end, heh.

As mentioned, if you will be using factory magazines, mag changes will be a little more tedious than with the G17, both due to the shorter grip making it easier to get your fingers in the way, and the smaller mags themselves.

But yeah, since you aren't trying to win, but only to better yourself and enjoy shooting, I see no reason to keep your G17 if you don't want to spend the money necessary to keep it along with a G26.

Good luck!
Lindenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 15:52   #15
vafish

I used to shoot ipsc with my G36. It was my carry gun. Lots of reloads from a 6 round mag.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 17:30   #16
Bruce M

If you do elect to try the G26 please consider letting us know how it goes. Several people over the last few years here have reported shooting the G26 as well or better than the bigger 9mm Glocks.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 17:44   #17
Jon_R
Silver Membership

Be careful on those fast reloads to not pinch your strong hand in the mag well. Someone I know very well did that a couple times....
Jon_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 18:04   #18
sciolist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyP View Post

Excellent post. I'll add another thing, having a separate gun to shoot in competition is also a good thing, especially if you catch the bug and start putting a lot of rounds down range. My carry guns get cleaned after they are shot, but competition guns will go 2,000+ (and usually much more) between cleanings. I wouldn't want to have to clean a gun after each match, and I wouldn't want my carry gun accumulating 50K rounds over a couple years or so.

It is a good idea to have at least 2 match pistols built the same way and ready to go. Many people have a ‘match’ gun and a ‘practice’ gun, with the latter taking most of the abuse. I have 2 live-fire USPSA guns and a third for dry-fire. Substantial dry fire puts more wear on some of the parts than live fire, and certainly adds cumulative effect. For example, I broke the mag catch spring in my dry fire gun doing reloads. That’s something most people do a lot more of dry than live.

The service life of a Glock can be as short as 30K. I wore my first one out at about 55K, shooting about 30K/year and dry firing an hour a day. It definitely makes sense to have separate guns for carry and shooting matches if you plan on doing significant volume with a match gun.

Also, if you are going to travel to matches, classes, etc., you don’t want to lose your investment in the event when a gun goes down. It’s easier to just pull out a fresh gun and worry about fixing the broken one at the hotel, or when you get home.
sciolist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 20:47   #19
Buttapollock1010

I've used my 26 for a few competitions. I enjoy shooting it, I normally shoot my g19 at competitions. I may shoot my 26 at my USPSA match tomorrow. I do use high cap mags while competing so that helps!
Buttapollock1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:57   #20
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciolist View Post
It is a good idea to have at least 2 match pistols built the same way and ready to go. Many people have a ‘match’ gun and a ‘practice’ gun, with the latter taking most of the abuse. I have 2 live-fire USPSA guns and a third for dry-fire. Substantial dry fire puts more wear on some of the parts than live fire, and certainly adds cumulative effect. For example, I broke the mag catch spring in my dry fire gun doing reloads. That’s something most people do a lot more of dry than live.

The service life of a Glock can be as short as 30K. I wore my first one out at about 55K, shooting about 30K/year and dry firing an hour a day. It definitely makes sense to have separate guns for carry and shooting matches if you plan on doing significant volume with a match gun.

Also, if you are going to travel to matches, classes, etc., you don’t want to lose your investment in the event when a gun goes down. It’s easier to just pull out a fresh gun and worry about fixing the broken one at the hotel, or when you get home.
I used to be that way, but I switch guns so often it's too expensive to have two of everything. I've cut way back on the "big" matches, but if I do go I try to at least bring some kind of backup, a matching gun for that division, just to be able to finish a match should something happen. Sometimes I can rely on a friends backup. In 22 years of shooting, I've only had to go to a backup once, knock on wood.