SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:58   #1
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy

"Thousands of doctors fired by United HealthCare"

"In the midst of major changes in health care, UnitedHealthCare has sent thousands of pink slips to Connecticut doctors.

Termination letters went to physicians caring for Medicare patients. Those letters were sent out to doctors caring for 'Medicare Advantage' patients. It's a plan, marketed to Seniors to provide additional services through UnitedHealthCare.

A mix of primary care and specialty doctors are affected by it. And it comes at a questionable time."

http://www.wtnh.com/news/health/thou...ted-healthcare
LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 13:15   #2
JBnTX
God Bless Texas

Not to worry. I'm sure Doctor Obama makes house calls.
I can see him now with his lovely nurse Michelle.
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 14:00   #3
snerd

My doctor said he's contemplating retiring next year, just too much crap coming down from ACA. My wife's endocrine doctor sent out recorded messages and letters announcing they're cutting patient load from 2400 to just 600. They can pay up front to join a kind of co op, so much quarterly or yearly. Get ready for an avalanche, it's coming as we speak.
Old 10-11-2013, 14:09   #4
F350

One of the reasons I went ahead and scheduled a bilateral knee replacement (both knees done at the same time) now.
F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 14:22   #5
Ricky Ricardo

“Let me be exactly clear about what health care reform means to you. First of all, if you’ve got health insurance, you like your doctors, you like your plan, you can keep your doctor, you can keep your plan. Nobody is talking about taking that away from you.”
--President Barack Obama, July 16, 2009

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...-care-promise/

“...no matter how we reform health care, we will keep this promise: If you like your doctor, you will be able to keep your doctor. Period. If you like your health care plan, you will be able to keep your health care plan. Period. No one will take it away. No matter what..."
--President Barack Obama, June 15, 2009

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2009/0...p-your-doctor/

Ricky Ricardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 14:26   #6
Kablam

Who needs doctors? We have progressive government and obamacare.
Kablam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:25   #7
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

When Obama said that Obamacare would ensure that the insured and uninsured got the same health care, I think we were all hoping that the uninsured would start getting healthcare like us, instead of us starting to get health care like them.

That's what happens when nobody asks any questions I guess.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:31   #8
JBnTX
God Bless Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post

...That's what happens when nobody asks any questions I guess.
Nancy Pelosi said we had to pass the healthcare bill so we could find out what's in it. Well, now we know.

Why does she still have a job?

Last edited by JBnTX; 10-12-2013 at 03:31..
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:31   #9
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
When Obama said that Obamacare would ensure that the insured and uninsured got the same health care, I think we were all hoping that the uninsured would start getting healthcare like us, instead of us starting to get health care like them.
I never hoped that. It seemed obvious from day 1 that the outcome, within a decade or so, would be lowering everybody's healthcare to what the poor and uninsured get now. Sort of like how the USSR made everybody equally rich.

Last edited by Bren; 10-12-2013 at 06:33..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:37   #10
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I never hoped that. It seemed obvious from day 1 that the outcome, within a decade or so, would be lowering everybody's healthcare to what the poor and uninsured get now. Sort of like how the USSR made everybody equally rich.
I know. I was being facetious, I admit.

If there is one single thing the government has ever done, that didn't get more bloated and less efficient, ever year, until it just couldn't move under it's own weight, and wasting money like they are just printing it (never mind that point, they are printing it) I would like to see that program.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:54   #11
Dave514

Insurance companies have been penalizing those Drs who cost them too much, and rewarding those who don't cost them as much. Whether it's in speed of payment, hassle in preauthorizations, request of records, etc...

I don't doubt that this is connected to ACA changes but I assure you that these kinds of tricks are not that uncommon.

I hope it continues and forces a free market system. As it stands, you think your Dr works for you...... well you are wrong. He/she has a contract with your insurance company and his/her livlihood is controlled by that company. They dictate which tests and procedures are 'necessary'. Your Dr. cares about you and would like to treat you in one way, insurances says that way costs too much.
Dave514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:35   #12
Cavalry Doc
Platinum Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave514 View Post
Insurance companies have been penalizing those Drs who cost them too much, and rewarding those who don't cost them as much. Whether it's in speed of payment, hassle in preauthorizations, request of records, etc...

I don't doubt that this is connected to ACA changes but I assure you that these kinds of tricks are not that uncommon.

I hope it continues and forces a free market system. As it stands, you think your Dr works for you...... well you are wrong. He/she has a contract with your insurance company and his/her livlihood is controlled by that company. They dictate which tests and procedures are 'necessary'. Your Dr. cares about you and would like to treat you in one way, insurances says that way costs too much.
The plan is not to change this into a free market system. The plan is to make it a single payer third party system, instead of a multiple payer third party system.

Real Government run healthcare is coming. The ACA is just the first domino.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
--Gunhaver
Don't let the guys quoted above contact your reps more than you.

Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:47   #13
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

While I want the obviously misnamed ACA scrapped as much as anybody here, United did not fire these doctors. To state that they did is to display a fundamental misunderstanding of our insurance system.

UHC did not employ the doctors, so they were not in a position to fire or layoff the doctors.

United effectively said that we will no longer consider you an in-network provider.

Strictly speaking, patients of those doctors that were on the Medicare Advantage plan can keep their plan, and they can keep their doctor. Keeping their doctor will obviosly cost them more since their plan did not keep their doctor.

As already mentioned, provider turnover is not uncommon for a healthcare plan. Poor billing and a number of issues from a provider's office cause significant additional overhead by the plan and can lead to a provider being dropped.
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:05   #14
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

So there independent contractors that were told your services are no longer needed.The same thing can be said about cab drivers,you can't fire them.You just refuse ta lease them a cab,same result.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:20   #15
akroguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Nancy Pelosi said we had to pass the healthcare bill so we could find out what's in it. Well, now we know.

Why does she still have a job?

Why is she still breathing?

The Second Amendment: giving teeth to the remaining 26.
Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
akroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:39   #16
itsnitro
Got Sig?

Send a message via AIM to itsnitro
I like my healthcare plan (UHC)..kinda...I'm starting to like it even less as it's going up an additional 10.83% as of Jan 14. So in a matter of 6 months, my plan has gone up nearly 15%. Now, it may not seem like a lot, but it is when you're trying to be a productive citizen and raise a family, every dollar counts.
Glock 26 - Sub Club #7797
Sig P226 - Sig Club #7797
Florida Glockers #7797
itsnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:39   #17
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroguy View Post
Why is she still breathing?

Political IssuesNancy is the Progressive (Liberal) Queen
Just like berry is King....Ignorant Lemmings will continue to support and defend them....

Last edited by LASTRESORT20; 10-12-2013 at 08:40..
LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:44   #18
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirgi08 View Post
So there independent contractors that were told your services are no longer needed.The same thing can be said about cab drivers,you can't fire them.You just refuse ta lease them a cab,same result.'08.
Not the same thing because medical providers are not solely contracted to a single healthcare plan.

These physicians are still self-employed, or employed by the same medical group they were employed by prior to receiving notice from UHC. They can still see self-pay patients, they can still see members of other healthcare plans with which they are contracted, and they can still see members of the UHC plan that are willing to pay a higher out of pocket cost.

Your analogy would be closer to appropriate if I were an independent cab driver that received dispatches from multiple cab companies. One of those companies that was paying me $1/mile (in network rate) said that they were no longer going to dispatch calls to me because I submit late, incomplete and error prone paperwork that they have to spend excessive time to manage. Oh, but I can still honor vouchers issued by that cab company, but I can only credit the passenger for 65 cents on the dollar (out of network rate) -- it costs the passenger more money if they still want to use me. I am not fired or laid off, the terms of a business agreement were changed. It happens every day.
ArtificialGrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:46   #19
aircarver
Silver Membership
Ride Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASTRESORT20 View Post
Political IssuesNancy is the Progressive (Liberal) Queen
Just like berry is King....Ignorant Lemmings will continue to support and defend them....
Haaa ... When she lost 'Speaker', she lost the jet ....

Enjoy riding AA, Nancy !

They'd created a vast, permanently unemployed underclass, dependent upon the Republic's stupendous welfare machine for its very existence, and in so doing, they'd sown the seeds of their own destruction. No one could place two-thirds of a world's population on the Dole and keep them there forever without the entire system crashing . . . but how in hell did one get them off the Dole? -David Weber, Flag in Exile
aircarver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:56   #20
akroguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircarver View Post
Haaa ... When she lost 'Speaker', she lost the jet ....

Enjoy riding AA, Nancy !

Nah, she's riding A BROOM.

Scariest b*tch ever. Makes flying monkeys look downright friendly.

Political Issues

The Second Amendment: giving teeth to the remaining 26.
Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
akroguy is offline   Reply With Quote