Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 12:59   #1
oldman11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,818
Pirate Activity

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/10...official-says/

The pirates are starting up again. Our government (?) says it is closely monitoring the situation. Really? We can do that from here.
__________________
Travel light and come well balanced.
Willie Nelson as Doc Holiday
in Stagecoach
oldman11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 13:25   #2
aircarver
Silver Membership
Ride Continues
 
aircarver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Ft. Worth TX
Posts: 25,397


Simple solution:
Kill pirates !

.
__________________
They'd created a vast, permanently unemployed underclass, dependent upon the Republic's stupendous welfare machine for its very existence, and in so doing, they'd sown the seeds of their own destruction. No one could place two-thirds of a world's population on the Dole and keep them there forever without the entire system crashing . . . but how in hell did one get them off the Dole? -David Weber, Flag in Exile
aircarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 13:45   #3
Mad Ryan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sunny Southern Oregon
Posts: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircarver View Post
Simple solution:
Kill pirates !

.
You said something I agree with.

Holy crap!
__________________
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't...
Mad Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 13:47   #4
Delmonte67
Glock 40 cal.
 
Delmonte67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 1,101
Blog Entries: 1
Agreed,
Firehoses as a defense just arent a deterrent anymore.
Park a few of these on deck of the ships with private security contractors onboard, and piracy would come to a halt in a hurry.


Political Issues
__________________
PROUD VETERAN, NRA MEMBER

Last edited by Delmonte67; 10-24-2013 at 14:02..
Delmonte67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 13:51   #5
Mad Ryan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sunny Southern Oregon
Posts: 1,253
Not to derail the testosterone drenched jerk fest that this will soon become, but...

These countries that the pirates hail from. Nigeria for instance. Are in many cases incredibly "Wealthy" countries in terms of natural resources. Nigeria has gobs of oil. Unfortunately, the people who actually live there are doomed to live in abject poverty because Oil companies come in, pump the oil out, and leave and they don't get a penny.

Can you really blame them?

The piracy has been going on for a long time in that part of the world, but the poor bastards with the AK's sure didn't start it.
__________________
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't...
Mad Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 14:10   #6
SJ 40
Senior Member
 
SJ 40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vermont
Posts: 7,762
This is the answer.

The Young U.S. Navy Battled North African Pirates
Barbary Pirates Demanded Tribute, Thomas Jefferson Chose to Fight

However the current resident is in No way a Thomas Jefferson,a Marxarite perhaps. SJ 40

http://history1800s.about.com/od/ame...arbarywars.htm
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 14:12   #7
Revvv
Senior Member
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Ryan View Post
Not to derail the testosterone drenched jerk fest that this will soon become, but...

These countries that the pirates hail from. Nigeria for instance. Are in many cases incredibly "Wealthy" countries in terms of natural resources. Nigeria has gobs of oil. Unfortunately, the people who actually live there are doomed to live in abject poverty because Oil companies come in, pump the oil out, and leave and they don't get a penny.

Can you really blame them?

The piracy has been going on for a long time in that part of the world, but the poor bastards with the AK's sure didn't start it.
I can understand where you are coming from. With that comment I cannot help but ask what lengths I would go to in order to feed my children. I hope to never find out what it is like to be in such dire need that I would result to the atrocities that piracy is known for.

On the flip side of the coin is an innocent party that is being invaded, taken hostage, murdered, etc. As I see it the innocent party has every right to protect themselves at all costs.

What would happen if you found an intruder in your home? If you are like me you will defend your home at all costs. I can assure you that if you storm my home you will be met with deadly force. Why shouldn't those in within the shipping industry be allowed the same privileges?

How do you deter pirates, or any other threat? You display that you have more power and leverage than the enemy does. This comes at an expense though. Weapons and manpower are not cheap.

How much more would it increase the price of the Widgets imported and exported to hire armed and trained security? Over time the small price increase would pay off and lives would be saved.

When most people think about deterring a threat they think small rather than big. They want to act on the immediate threat without a thought to the future. A garden hose may piss off and shut down a few pirates once. After that they know what to expect. If you obliterate their ship and collect the survivors to be prosecuted the next boat of pirates may realize things are not worth dying for.

If the pirates go bigger then you get involved personally and begin shutting down the groups that are organized.

What about the unorganized groups that evade the defensive attacks on their peers? It is simple, be prepared and when they attack shut them down.

You cannot rely on the military to defend every vessel on the water. These boats must be able to arm themselves with the firepower needed to protect themselves.

Sent from my DROIDX using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 14:30   #8
pipedreams
Member
 
pipedreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: S. E. Iowa
Posts: 4,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Ryan View Post
Not to derail the testosterone drenched jerk fest that this will soon become, but...

These countries that the pirates hail from. Nigeria for instance. Are in many cases incredibly "Wealthy" countries in terms of natural resources. Nigeria has gobs of oil. Unfortunately, the people who actually live there are doomed to live in abject poverty because Oil companies come in, pump the oil out, and leave and they don't get a penny.

Can you really blame them?

The piracy has been going on for a long time in that part of the world, but the poor bastards with the AK's sure didn't start it.
Just because the leaders of their country are taking the payoff from the oil companies and not sharing it does not give them them right to hijack and kidnap others. Live by the sword die by the sword. They need to go after people leading their country if their unhappy.
__________________
NRA Patron Member
GOA Life Member


Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.
pipedreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 14:30   #9
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy
 
LASTRESORT20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 8,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircarver View Post
Simple solution:
Kill pirates !

.

*Progressives (Liberals) won't allow it...unless its a special occasion to make a chosen one look good....for quick approval points.....

No "Arms" no self defence against Muslim pirates...!!
Its inhumane and not fair....
LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 14:59   #10
F350
Senior Member
 
F350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Colorado Western Slope
Posts: 1,933
Bring back the Q-ship!
F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 15:12   #11
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA
 
janice6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: minnesota
Posts: 19,618


Anti-Piracy private security guards arrested for having weapons in Indian waters.

This is what happens to security personnel when they try to protect against pirates. Governments arrest them for having guns. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

http://www.livemint.com/Opinion/tP9S...antipirac.html
__________________
janice6

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 15:17   #12
barbedwiresmile
Unreconstructed
 
barbedwiresmile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: "Our side of the barbed wire"
Posts: 9,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Ryan View Post
Not to derail the testosterone drenched jerk fest that this will soon become, but...

These countries that the pirates hail from. Nigeria for instance. Are in many cases incredibly "Wealthy" countries in terms of natural resources. Nigeria has gobs of oil. Unfortunately, the people who actually live there are doomed to live in abject poverty because Oil companies come in, pump the oil out, and leave and they don't get a penny.

Can you really blame them?

The piracy has been going on for a long time in that part of the world, but the poor bastards with the AK's sure didn't start it.
You left something out there. A fairly important part. Oil companies do in fact lay. Who do they pay?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


Por La Raza todo, Fuera de La Raza nada
barbedwiresmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 20:47   #13
Mad Ryan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sunny Southern Oregon
Posts: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipedreams View Post
Just because the leaders of their country are taking the payoff from the oil companies and not sharing it does not give them them right to hijack and kidnap others. Live by the sword die by the sword. They need to go after people leading their country if their unhappy.
You might want to look into the colonial history of Africa and revise your statement.

The "deals" were cut when countries like France, Belgium, England, etc. had armies they used to come in, kill/subvert the local tribes, and then the oil companies and other folks came in and claimed the mineral rights.

The local folks had zero say in it.

Ever.
__________________
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't...
Mad Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 20:49   #14
Mad Ryan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sunny Southern Oregon
Posts: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbedwiresmile View Post
You left something out there. A fairly important part. Oil companies do in fact lay. Who do they pay?
Well, they screw everyone who actually theoretically "owns" the stuff, that is, the people who live there, and whose land the oil company is pumping the nonrenewable resource out of.

They pay their execs, shareholders, all our elected officials, etc.

So the common folks get "laid" and the rich folks or the folks who are worth bribing get "paid"

Makes sense right?
__________________
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't...
Mad Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 20:53   #15
Mad Ryan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sunny Southern Oregon
Posts: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
I can understand where you are coming from. With that comment I cannot help but ask what lengths I would go to in order to feed my children. I hope to never find out what it is like to be in such dire need that I would result to the atrocities that piracy is known for.

On the flip side of the coin is an innocent party that is being invaded, taken hostage, murdered, etc. As I see it the innocent party has every right to protect themselves at all costs.

What would happen if you found an intruder in your home? If you are like me you will defend your home at all costs. I can assure you that if you storm my home you will be met with deadly force. Why shouldn't those in within the shipping industry be allowed the same privileges?

How do you deter pirates, or any other threat? You display that you have more power and leverage than the enemy does. This comes at an expense though. Weapons and manpower are not cheap.

How much more would it increase the price of the Widgets imported and exported to hire armed and trained security? Over time the small price increase would pay off and lives would be saved.

When most people think about deterring a threat they think small rather than big. They want to act on the immediate threat without a thought to the future. A garden hose may piss off and shut down a few pirates once. After that they know what to expect. If you obliterate their ship and collect the survivors to be prosecuted the next boat of pirates may realize things are not worth dying for.

If the pirates go bigger then you get involved personally and begin shutting down the groups that are organized.

What about the unorganized groups that evade the defensive attacks on their peers? It is simple, be prepared and when they attack shut them down.

You cannot rely on the military to defend every vessel on the water. These boats must be able to arm themselves with the firepower needed to protect themselves.

Sent from my DROIDX using Ohub Campfire mobile app
I was in no way justifying their means. I was just pointing out that a couple hundred years ago, the European colonial powers came in, killed thousands or tens of thousands of Africans. Claimed the mineral rights of Africa, and basically doomed the entire continent to abject poverty because they can't make use of their own wealth.

Had this not happened, most people who study such things agree that Africa would be much different. They'd have a thriving middle class and actual wealth like the Western world has had at times and arguably still does.

When you treat people like animals they tend to live up to your expectations.
__________________
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't...
Mad Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 21:25   #16
garya1961
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 694
The pirates don't bother the Russians anymore.

garya1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 21:38   #17
Revvv
Senior Member
 
Revvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya1961 View Post
The pirates don't bother the Russians anymore.

Russian Navy vs Somali Pirates.mov - YouTube
Just a little target practice. No need to worry.

Sent from my DROIDX using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 21:41   #18
Syclone0538
Senior Member
 
Syclone0538's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
Anti-Piracy private security guards arrested for having weapons in Indian waters.

This is what happens to security personnel when they try to protect against pirates. Governments arrest them for having guns. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

http://www.livemint.com/Opinion/tP9S...antipirac.html
The solution to this would be to not import or export anything to any country that does this.
Syclone0538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 23:43   #19
TxGun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Family ranch in Texas
Posts: 2,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Ryan View Post
Had this not happened, most people who study such things agree that Africa would be much different. They'd have a thriving middle class and actual wealth like the Western world has had at times and arguably still does.

When you treat people like animals they tend to live up to your expectations.
Their own countrymen treat them like animals! Always have and it persists to this day. This is the reality after 5 decades of independence for most African countries.

"Most people who study such things agree...". Yeah, sure they do. Have you ever been there? Who exactly are these "people"? Some socialist professor somewhere who assigns misplaced nobility to the savage black man? I have been there, several times, to several different countries, (on hunts). Here's a little additional history for you...

- Virtually all African societal interaction starts with tribal affiliation. Your birth tribe defines who you are. That has been the case throughout recorded history and still is today.

- Since most African countries gained independence 50+/- years ago, the day-to-day life of the average African is arguably little better, and in fact it's often worse, than it was under colonial rule. Sad, and an indictment of the modern African leader. At least there was some consistent organization under colonial administrators.

- Before colonial rule, you do understand that the powerful, more warrior-centric tribes rounded up members of weaker ones and sold them to the Arab slave traders who, in turn, drove them to coastal ports to be sold to merchants from around the world? This is the way it was done. This was the first link in the trade chain. Africans themselves were key contributors to the slave trade. And this was only natural, since before the arrival of the Arab traders, those same powerful tribes had routinely enslaved their neighbors. It was simply a fact of life. Pre-colonial Africa was an intensely dark and violent place.

- Today, if you are lucky enough to be a member of the ruling tribe, which naturally has political control, and especially the ruling caste within that tribe, your life will be anywhere from decent to luxurious. If you aren't lucky, you and your family will typically be reduced to little more than subsistence living with few, if any, opportunities to advance. Tribal structure and allegiance are still firmly in-place, and are still the most powerful social influences, after family, for almost all Africans. Being a member of the ruling caste, and having the opportunity to go to university in England or the US, only occasionally impacts those traditional loyalties.

- In almost all African countries, oil production has long been nationalized. Oil wealth stays primarily in-country, almost all of it controlled by the ruling tribe, the bulk of which stays within the ruling caste, and what trickles down stays within the tribal structure. If you are a member of a minority tribe, and in most countries there are many of those, you are out of luck.

- Genocide is rampant, very often sanctioned by a country's leadership. The most egregious genocides are commonly reported...but there are many others that aren't. The ruling tribe in any given country controls the army through appointed officers who are tribal brothers. And the army is used to punish tribal enemies. Again, this type of persecution is traditional and has been since time immemorial.

- Corruption is simply considered the right of the tribe in power. It's open and it's everywhere. Media is typically tightly controlled by the leaders. If you complain too loudly, you might expect a knock on the door late at night.

- For all it's immense natural wealth, Africa, with only a few exceptions, remains backward, illiterate, corrupt, and impoverished after 50+ years of African rule. They would kill all their game...all of it... and cut the parks and reserves up into small acreage plots, to be overgrazed and over farmed, if not for the cash flow they provide to those in power.

- Modern African countries, for the most part, are somewhat similar to Mexico....in terms of impoverished masses, an elite ruling class, and rampant corruption...except several orders of magnitude worse, since they've pretty well cornered the market on genocide in the 21st century...but then that's something they've always been good at.

- No Utopia, at least in the human sense. It never was. And given it's history and traditions, it never was going to be, whether ruled by Africans, or by outsiders.

Last edited by TxGun; 10-25-2013 at 01:44..
TxGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 00:14   #20
stevelyn
NRA Life Member
 
stevelyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fairbanksan in Aleutian Hell
Posts: 8,765
Don't go places you don't belong and you won't get captured by pirates.
__________________
Usually sufferers of paraphilic infantilism are proud of their condition. Kinda like being a liberal. Your mental flaws are there for the entire world to see, and you're damned proud of it. - tank_monkey
stevelyn is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 13:30.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 891
262 Members
629 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31