Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-26-2013, 16:36   #1
jwest1967

Prepping for economic meltdown

Any Preppers here? I have come to the conclusion that we may in fact be in big trouble and i now believe that its just a matter of time before the economy collapses, I have recently started prepping by stocking up on certain items and making sure i have plenty of ammo. So my question is, if you are a prepper. what kind of items are you storing and if you have any suggestions/recommendations?
jwest1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 20:48   #2
inzone

yep, prepping

howdy, I'm old enough to remember enough history ...... yes, sir, I sadly concur with your analysis.....it will hit hard! far worse than the 1929 crash, because then, much of the population was still rural, they farmed, they had large gardens and chicken coops, they raised truck crops and eggs and supplemented both their diet and their incomes this way, ...today sadly and incredibly, one in six American children depends on food stamps (EBT electronic cards) for their food....ONE in SIX!!!! just imagine..when those EBT cards stop working..and friend...they WILL STOP WORKING!!!

Old GI here..here's your "no ****ter"..... FRIED RICE.... I lived on this stuff for a long time, so can you! Start putting white rice in mylar bags and then in PAINT CANS, not plastic buckets...and use Oxygen absorbers.....then stockpile plenty of CRISCO ( hydrogentrated vegetable oil...yes, not the healthiest stuff on the planet but it will keep you from starving).. HEALTHIER is GHEE (clarified butter) in cans, but somewhat expensive, also Olive oil in CANS lasts for many years.... NEXT..buy up plenty of MULTIVITAMINS.....effective shelf live is a few years....

SALT is critical... get PLENTY, also SUGAR, it helps prevent food fatigue... CRITICAL: get as much PURE powdered chlorine or PURE chlorine tablets as you POSSIBLY CAN....they last a very long time if you keep them out of air and sunlight and this will save your life by allowing you to purify water.... buy a TON of paper towels/coffee filters to use as water fliters for pre-filters.... IF you can find a source for a lot of BULK activated charcoal.BUY IT...bad water will kill you faster than ANY OTHER EVIL in a shtf situation....
Rubbing alcohol or preferably whiskey or vodka! You will be scrounging for disinfectants and hygiene items LONG before you EVER run out of your boxes of 12 Gauge and 7.62 39... MATCHES/fire starters....same lesson here!

WHETSTONES.....you will be sharpening whatever blades you can find far more than you will be shooting anyone....get plenty!..... I will allow others to finish this list... GOD BLESS!...but friend..IT REALLY IS COMING!!!
inzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 13:54   #3
perado
Sunburnt baldy

Lots of good points. I'd add toilet paper and plastic trash bags, too. If the bags are large enough, they can double as lightweight ponchos.
I've bought some silver, but not gold. While it'll be until the dust settles before buying and selling comes back, that ounce of silver will be eaier to spend than the ounce of gold. Sort of like going into a mom-and-pop store to buy a can of soft drink with a thousand dollar bill.
Ammo will be important, but using it is loud and attracts attention. Blades are good, but they're only useful out to arm's length; look into bows, crossbows, slingshots, and pump-up air guns, too.
Bleach and some good water filters can be life saving.
And, perhaps one of the most important things...get to know your neighbors. Getting all your ducks in a row won't matter if you get stabbed in the back while admiring your handiwork.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
perado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:16   #4
jwest1967

Thanks for the advise guys lots of good points to.
jwest1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:34   #5
Jumper

Good points but I'll make one different suggestion: For water purification, In stead of bleach (sodium hypochlorite) use Calcium hypochlorite. It is sold as a pool shock chemical. It will sterilize a lot more water than regular bleach and, it doesn't degrade over time as quickly as bleach does. It costs about the same as regular bleach. Look for the packages without any algaecides or fungicides.
10 Ring Member #661944

You can have my guns when I run out of ammo. Which wont be happening anytime soon.
Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 15:17   #6
4n2t0

Tin foil hats? LMAO...

Some people's children...
4n2t0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 16:02   #7
nursetim

I would say everclear instead of rubbing alcohol. Germicidal and potable.
nursetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 18:18   #8
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Preppers on GT? Pffff.