SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:23   #1
oily_oink
###########

For the Safety Minded.

Glock-Safety-Haters Move Along! Nothing to See Here!!!

Do You Have Any Glock Safety Ideas?

There are a few aftermarket devices out there already, but they have been dicussed & bashed to Death on this Forum. I was thinking a Thread about "Your Safety Idea's" would be interesting.

I'l start with mine... Since the G18 uses a selector switch for auto/semi-auto, do you guy's think that Glock could tweek it to be used for a safety switch in all the other models?

General Glocking

Safety Down / Fire Up

- OR -

Fire Down / Safety Up

Last edited by oily_oink; 11-02-2013 at 10:38.. Reason: Added Pic!
oily_oink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:25   #2
M&P15T
Beard One

Oh Good Lord....

No....just no.

My Glock safety idea? Don't pull the trigger if you don't want it going off. I've been a Glock owner for 20+ years.

They are as safe as the person that handles them.

Last edited by M&P15T; 10-28-2013 at 09:26..
M&P15T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:31   #3
grizz

A safety mindset and very little hand-eye coordination is all that is required.
grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:36   #4
tager

Quote:
Originally Posted by oily_oink View Post

Do You Have Any Glock Safety Ideas?
Yes! --training, lots of proper firearm training.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:36   #5
oily_oink
###########

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
Oh Good Lord....

No....just no.

My Glock safety idea? Don't pull the trigger if you don't want it going off. I've been a Glock owner for 20+ years.

Thanks for the "Don't pull the Trigger" Idea! I don't think that was ever mentioned before on this Forum.

J.M.B. added the "Thumb Safety" to the BELOVED 1911! I don't think he intended it to be on a 1911 in the first place, but I could be wrong? Don't think you'll find any Hate for him on here!

Last edited by oily_oink; 10-28-2013 at 09:37..
oily_oink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:03   #6
F-111 John

JMP put a thumb safety on the BELOVED 1911 because it is a single action hammer fired pistol and has a 3.5 lb trigger pull. It NEEDS a safety in order to be safely carried in a firing condition.

The Glock is a partially-cocked striker fired firearm, and in factory trim has a 5.5-6.5 lb trigger pull that completes the cocking of the striker before it releases it.

You may have noticed that the vast, vast majority of double action revolvers also do not have safeties, because the double action trigger pull weight is the safety.

However, there are many striker fired firearms that do have manual safeties, including S&W M&Ps. Often, there are versions with and without manual safeties available. There are certain states that require a manual safety on any new firearm sold within their boarders, so this is why you see manual safeties, magazine disconnects, and loaded chamber indicators larger than the flag on your mailbox on certain new firearms.

If you want a safety on your Glock, there are at least three options I can think of off the top of my head. There is a thumb safety retrofit, a crossbolt safety built into the side of the trigger, and a plastic plug that fits behind the trigger in the trigger guard.

For my own use, I carry in a holster that completely covers the trigger, and I leave the gun in the holster throughout the day. I don't get it out, play with it, check to see if it's still loaded, show it off, or anything else. It gets holstered and stays there until it's time to take it off at night.

If you really want a safety on a Glock, I would suggest you don't really want a Glock. You want something like an M&P or a Ruger SR9 with thumb safeties, or an XD with a grip safety. Why pay to retrofit a third party solution onto a Glock when there are several other makes that have what you want already?
F-111 John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:22   #7
Clusterfrack

A good holster.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:30   #8
oily_oink
###########

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-111 John View Post
JMP put a thumb safety on the BELOVED 1911 because it is a single action hammer fired pistol and has a 3.5 lb trigger pull. It NEEDS a safety in order to be safely carried in a firing condition.

If it didn't have a safety, everyone would be still saying Brain/Finger Off is the only safety you need!

The Glock is a partially-cocked striker fired firearm, and in factory trim has a 5.5-6.5 lb trigger pull that completes the cocking of the striker before it releases it.

You may have noticed that the vast, vast majority of double action revolvers also do not have safeties, because the double action trigger pull weight is the safety.

If S&W or Colt had put them on thier Revolvers, that would be the norm today.

However, there are many striker fired firearms that do have manual safeties, including S&W M&Ps. Often, there are versions with and without manual safeties available. There are certain states that require a manual safety on any new firearm sold within their boarders, so this is why you see manual safeties, magazine disconnects, and loaded chamber indicators larger than the flag on your mailbox on certain new firearms.

If you want a safety on your Glock, there are at least three options I can think of off the top of my head. There is a thumb safety retrofit, a crossbolt safety built into the side of the trigger, and a plastic plug that fits behind the trigger in the trigger guard.

Sorry, but I was looking for "New" Ideas, not the old.

For my own use, I carry in a holster that completely covers the trigger, and I leave the gun in the holster throughout the day. I don't get it out, play with it, check to see if it's still loaded, show it off, or anything else. It gets holstered and stays there until it's time to take it off at night.

Hopefully everyone follows your way of Gun handling!

If you really want a safety on a Glock, I would suggest you don't really want a Glock. You want something like an M&P or a Ruger SR9 with thumb safeties, or an XD with a grip safety. Why pay to retrofit a third party solution onto a Glock when there are several other makes that have what you want already?

Glock's are the only Pistol's I own! Had the ones you mentioned, but they just didn't do it like a Glock does.

Answered in Red...
Old 10-28-2013, 10:32   #9
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
A good holster.
I can't imagine a more effective device.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:45   #10
MajorD

Actually as originally designed the 1911 was not to have a thumb safety- the original plan was to carry hammer down on a loaded chamber and cock the hammer on draw just like they did with revolvers in those days.the thumb safe was requested by the cavalry so a cav trooper could put gun on safe if after cocking his hammer his horse got out of control. This comes from multiple historical documents out of clawson's 's book on the 1911. So no 1911 was not designed with a safety or designed from the start to be carried cocked and locked. In America ( I am old enough to remember the days when a smith 39 revolver or 1911 were essentially the only choices in a full size carry gun. The no safety idea was marketed as allowing police to transition to autos easier - just draw and pull like the wheel gun.also keep in mind most military forces that are issued glocks keep them chamber empty
MajorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:46   #11
20South

Quote:
Originally Posted by oily_oink View Post

J.M.B. added the "Thumb Safety" to the BELOVED 1911! I don't think he intended it to be on a 1911 in the first place, but I could be wrong? Don't think you'll find any Hate for him on here!
JMB only added the thumb safety because the Army requested it. Grip safety was there.

Good luck on your Safe(er) action Glock. Carry condition 3 is not a new idea, but my suggestion for those uncomfortable with the Glock as designed.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:52   #12
GlockFanWA

I remember at one of the Glock Armorer's classes that i took the instructor, a retired officer from Detroit PD, told us the key to safety was to remember the 3 F's.

Keep your F'in finger off the F'in trigger till you are F'in ready to shoot.

Last edited by GlockFanWA; 10-28-2013 at 12:45.. Reason: Some people have delicate personalities
GlockFanWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:18   #13
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Fist View Post
I can't imagine a more effective device.
Agreed. A good holster is the primary Glock safety device.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:19   #14
mrgreg5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
Oh Good Lord....

No....just no.

yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup........couldnt have said it better...if u want a safety buy another gun........
Old 10-28-2013, 11:20   #15
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockFanWA View Post
I remember at one of the Glock Armorer's classes that i took the instructor, a retired officer from Detroit PD, told us the key to safety was to remember the 3 F's.

Keep your Fuckin' finger off the Fuckin's trigger till you are Fuckin' ready to shoot.
Are the obscenities really needed here?
Old 10-28-2013, 11:34   #16
rilkil23

I have a long conversation with any new firearm to ensure that they understand the importance of not "going off" on their own. So far all 19 in my safe are playing nice.
rilkil23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:43   #17
Just One Shot

No need for Glock to design one, if you feel the need for a manual safety, the aftermarket has it covered.

http://www.tarnhelm.com/GlockSafety.html
Just One Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:00   #18
Mike-M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorD View Post
...also keep in mind most military forces that are issued glocks keep them chamber empty
As do the military and naval forces that used the M1911A1...and for that matter any other semi-auto pistol.

I am happy to not be constrained by such custom. Before I bought a G27 in 1997, my carry pistol was a Mark III Browning High Power (BHP) in .40SW. The .40SW BHP has a very stiff recoil spring and a smooth slide-grip finish that made quick and certain slide racking a real effort...condition one carry was almost essential to avoid that necessity. Unfortunately, its ambidextrous thumb safety could be rather easily bumped to the fire position...it paid to check its status frequently.

I still love the BHP as the most elegant single-action pistol design ever (IMHO), but I was never completely comfortable with BHP condition one carry even though it has a good thumb safety! OTOH, I've always been completely comfortable with the safety of condition one carry in my G27 and subsequent Glocks, just as I would be with a modern (transfer-bar) double-action revolver.
Mike-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:03   #19
F106 Fan

We just had this thread last week. There is another thread started this week. And now another?

There won't be any support around here for an added safety on a Glock. That is not going to change no matter how many identical threads get started.

Richard
Old 10-28-2013, 12:17   #20
oily_oink
###########

Looking for New Safety Idea's.....