Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-11-2013, 16:28   #1
Galatians

1911 for a Gen 4 Glock 32

Hey guys, first post here. I've owned several Glocks through the past 6 years, and also been a big 1911 fan and the way they shoot (who isn't?). I am an NRA pistol instructor and was out at the range last weekend completing the range portion for my enhanced CCW permit Idaho started offering last year, and was very disappointed with the way my Kimber Raptor II performed. Of the 98 rounds I fired, I only had one magazine that functioned properly. FTF left and right. It had only been 150 rounds since I last cleaned it. It was -11 outside with the wind chill. I am guessing the lube I had on the gun was too heavy and gummed the slide up causing the failures. Being that I live in Idaho, I can't get away from the cold weather. It's cold six months out of the year, and I don't want a gun that is so finicky and sensitive to the weather and other conditions to the point where it really isn't reliable. At least I don't feel 100% comfortable with the functionality. I don't want to have to clean it after every time I shoot it, nor do I want to change to lube based on the temperature outside. The 1911 will be a range shooter only for me moving forward.

I owned a G27 in the past, and had a .357 sig conversion barrel for it and that is when I fell in love with the cartridge. I really like the ballistics and performance, and I shoot it well. The compact is the perfect size in my opinion, so I am going with the gen 4 G32. I'll probably buy a .40 conversion barrel as well just to have. Just thought I'd get this out there and welcome opinions or feedback. Thanks!

Last edited by Galatians; 12-11-2013 at 16:29..
Galatians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 16:39   #2
DocWills

Despite its rep Kimber is a temperamental beast. They can and do take a bit to get running right. I long ago tired of incessantly working on my pistols hence my love for glocks and a few others.

Best advice I can give is pick one ammo and use that only till you get it working.
Old 12-11-2013, 16:49   #3
Opie 1 Kenopie
Regular Guy

I recently had my Kimber Custom II blow up at the range while another officer was shooting it. The slide locked up tight. Had to be hammered open to get the spent case out, then hammered closed. Sent it back and of course Kimber says its the ammo's fault. Big surprise. I was shooting CCI Blazer range stuff and the rep told me to send my box to CCI but it was long gone. Long story short, my Kimber is no more. Damaged too many pieces and the replacement cost, while a good deal, was still too damn high. No way was Kimber going to say the huge crack in the barrel was an equipment malfunction.

Strange... I've never had ANY problems with my Glocks. Not a single part broken or kaboom. Ever. I'll be in your neck of the woods soon Galatians, and you can bet a G20SF and 29SF will be with me the entire trip.

Last edited by Opie 1 Kenopie; 12-11-2013 at 16:51..
Opie 1 Kenopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 16:56   #4
Galatians

Great feedback Opie. I too, and selling the Kimber. Travel safely when you're up this way.

Doc- I've always shot the same ammo through it. In reality I don't want to have to worry about that with my guns. I don't want to have to try this or that, or continuously try to make tweaks to keep them functioning. I just want them to work. And that's what Glocks do, they just work
Old 12-11-2013, 19:25   #5
Bruce M

I can certainly understand wanting to carry a more reliable pistol. It will be interesting to hear how the Kimber works when it is a bit warmer outside.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 19:40   #6
Mike-M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatians View Post
I owned a G27 in the past, and had a .357 sig conversion barrel for it and that is when I fell in love with the cartridge. I really like the ballistics and performance, and I shoot it well. The compact is the perfect size in my opinion, so I am going with the gen 4 G32. I'll probably buy a .40 conversion barrel as well just to have.
It would be hard to criticize your decision process to move back to a Glock in .357 SIG. Even the full-size G31 is shorter and lighter than a M1911 clone.

If you don't handload your own SD ammo, look at Underwood Ammo in .357 SIG (after they get some in stock again). The 125 gr. JHP load from my G31 chronographs typically about 1565 fps (680 ft-lbf) 10 to 15 feet in front of the muzzle at 85 F ambient temperature. Results will be slightly less in the half-inch shorter G32. Regardless of combination, that's very good ballistic performance!
Mike-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 19:56   #7
Beanie-Bean

Congrats on the new G32, and welcome to GT! I'm currently carrying the same thing this week.

Beanie-Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 21:19   #8
TxGlock9
2014 RACE TIME!

Great pick on the Gen4 G32.

I practice and carry with the gen4 23. I also will have a 357sig oem G32 barrel for carry as well. My mentality is if you can fire 40sw decently you can shoot a 357sig. Reason why I practice with 40sw instead is the cost and availability of 357sig.

357sig = snap recoil
40sw = snap & push recoil

Last edited by TxGlock9; 12-11-2013 at 21:20..
TxGlock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 21:27   #9
cornerexit

I actually think the 357sig is more of a push and the 40 is snappy.

Either way, mind the ammo costs. 357sig is the best semi-auto caliber to me, but it's also quite pricey to shoot unless you reload and reloading it takes more time due to the neck.
cornerexit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 23:32   #10
Galatians

I too agree that the .357 sig is more of a push and that .40 is more snappy. That's if I'm really trying to focus on the recoil of the gun. All in all, I don't get caught up in talks of either being unmanageable, or difficult to get back on target for follow up shots, etc. In my honest opinion, the difference is very subtle and I don't have those issues. I will agree with those saying the .357 sig shouldn't be your first handgun caliber if you're just getting into shooting, but that's just my opinion. I'm sure there are folks that could and do just fine with it. That's subjective.

I've owned two Kimbers and they've both performed well when it's warmer outside. At times I'll miss the 1911, but it's going to be damned nice not worrying about reliability for half the year when it gets cold here.
Old 12-11-2013, 23:54   #11
TxGlock9
2014 RACE TIME!

Whichever it is, you can practice with the more cost efficient 40sw, and carry the 357sig for defense. That is if you want to closely mimic the recoil without damaging the pocket to badly.
Old 12-12-2013, 00:15   #12
TheFactor
The GlockFactor

Great choice !
TheFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:02   #13
Glock40man

The G32 is a great pistol.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:47   #14
WarEagle 1
Taco Tuesday

Awesome round and great pistol!!
Old 12-12-2013, 04:25   #15
bac1023

and congrats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:23   #16
ca survivor

isn't oils and grease made for cold weather use?
Old 12-12-2013, 13:45   #17
Galatians

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca survivor View Post
isn't oils and grease made for cold weather use?
No that is not necessarily correct. The type of lube becomes critical as the temp drops below freezing. When this happens, you'll want to stay away from grease in any form, or any standard lube that is considered even marginally heavy. When it gets cold with a 1911, you'll have to apply a quality thin oil that does not change viscosity in cold temps like standard lube does. I've been recommended to use Lucas Gun oil for this particular application on 1911's because it is so thin. I've already made the decision not do away with my 1911 as my carry gun and go back to Glock, so I don't have to worry about that
Old 12-12-2013, 14:29   #18
Adamz04

I own a gen4 g32 and love it!!!!
I do have a factory glock 23 barrel for it than runs like butter in it. I love shooting guns with a little snap to them!!! I have shot a box of .357sig and then swapped the barrel and shot a box of .40 right after it and to me the .40 shoots quite a bit softer/weaker.
.357sig is my favorite by a mile
Old 12-13-2013, 16:03   #19
krazey karl

I also have a g32.love it as my primary ccw.i bought a stormlake 9mm conversion barrel and it works great.i will shoot 1 bx. of .357 and then convert over to 9mm and shoot 2 or 3 boxes.saves some money.you must use 9mm mags though.the .357 mags will no way no how feed 9s.
krazey karl is offline   Reply With Quote