Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-11-2014, 21:21   #1
playininthedirt

What is the proper way to handle trespassers tree stands?

We have found several tree stands, game cameras, portable blinds etc... On our property.

We have checked with the few hunters that do have permission to hunt on the property and they aren't theirs.

Would I legally be able to remove the stands, etc and do with them as I please?

No tresspassing signs have been posted and obviously ignored.

Some disrespectful sob's are in for a rude awakening when they figure out that the 1000+ acre free for all is over.

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
playininthedirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 21:29   #2
Nest

I would play it safe at first since you don't know the types you are dealing with. People can get pretty weird about property if you were to screw with it. I would take anything you find down, and leave it at the base of the tree where you found it with a note telling them that the free ride is over, and to just take their stuff and leave. Give them a chance to pick up their toys and go home quietly with their tail between their legs. It's not worth getting into a fight, or getting shot over. If this property is where you live, remember that they know where you live and you have no clue who they are. So that's why I would tread lightly and try not to stir crap up.
Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 21:30   #3
grecco

contact your local game warden,
if they do not have permission to access your land,
they are trespassing.
Old 01-11-2014, 21:34   #4
mj9mm

bust'em up and dump'em on the side of the road. or sell them.
Old 01-11-2014, 21:36   #5
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Stack all the crap in your yard and have them come and claim it; if they are so inclined. At that time you tell them it is trespassing and the LEO/Game Wardens are being asked to check the property periodically.

Someone will always be upset that you will not let them do anything they want on your property. It's the way some people are. You can't make this easy no matter what you do. So do something. Protect yourself too.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 21:37   #6
Batesmotel

Take the cameras and stands and turn them over to the cops when you file a report so no one can accuse you of theft.

When you file the report get an incident or case number and keep it on file. That way you were the first to start a paper trail if there are problems latter.

You could always find where they park when they are trespassing and get creative. For legal reasons I disavow any knowledge of such activity, but it is damn effective.
Old 01-11-2014, 21:42   #7
NDCent
Socially Inept

I'd suggest checking state law. In Missouri the hunter must know where they're hunting; signs, fencing, or painted tree boundaries are no longer needed by the land owner.
Old 01-11-2014, 22:24   #8
GarySTL
NRA Life Member

Take them down and place at the foot of the tree. Place your own cameras to capture images of the owners for future identification.
GarySTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 22:29   #9
TK-421

Contact your game wardens and tell them you have trespassers who are ignoring posted signs and ask for their advice.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 22:30   #10
Dave514

Take all of it to the police. Tack up a note saying they can pick it up there and no charges will be filed this one time. All subsequent articles will be confiscated, not returned and their owners prosecuted.
“I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men."
Robert Ingersoll
Dave514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 22:35   #11
rednoved
NRA Member

I would leave it at the foot of the tree with a notice, or let the authorities handle it. I would not recommend keeping their property, since there is no telling how they might react.
rednoved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 22:35   #12
rednoved
NRA Member

BTW. We had another thread just like this one. Does anyone know how it turned out?
rednoved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:56   #13
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave514 View Post
Take all of it to the police. Tack up a note saying they can pick it up there and no charges will be filed this one time. All subsequent articles will be confiscated, not returned and their owners prosecuted.
I was gonna say shoot, shovel, shut up...

...but I like this idea best.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 15:49   #14
p.d.

I vote for the leaving a note and the equipment at the base of the tree as a first step. Years ago my friend found a tree stand on his property and this is the route he took. It worked in that case with no drama or repeat. Heck, his note was even written in a pleasant tone.
p.d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 16:50   #15
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.d. View Post
I vote for the leaving a note and the equipment at the base of the tree as a first step. Years ago my friend found a tree stand on his property and this is the route he took. It worked in that case with no drama or repeat. Heck, his note was even written in a pleasant tone.
This is exactly what I would do as the first step. Second step is to remove the stands without damaging them and leave a note telling them they can come & get their stuff at my house. And leave directions to the house with specific hours when they would be, and when they would NOT be welcome to come. The police would not be called until step 3.
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 17:00   #16
Dave514

".... And leave directions to the house with specific hours when they would be, and when they would NOT be welcome to come."

Please rethink this.
“I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men."
Robert Ingersoll
Old 01-12-2014, 18:41   #17
playininthedirt

Quote:
I pulled the card out of one of the cameras, and apparently it belongs to the sheriffs son. >:-/ some of the stands may belong to him as well. He did post a lengthy rant on Facebook regarding the "lack of respect" for peoples property after he discovered one of his cameras was missing. And no, he does not have permission to hunt on the property.

So one day this week when I have time I will be making a trip to town to visit with his dad. And for good measure I may just throw his ass under the bus in a response to his rant on Facebook. What's the worst that can happen? Him unfriending me over a verbal ass kicking? Lol

And all unclaimed, unmarked stands are going to find a new home in my garage

playininthedirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 18:46   #18
Dave514

Quote:
Originally Posted by playininthedirt View Post
I pulled the card out of one of the cameras, and apparently it belongs to the sheriffs son. >:-/ some of the stands may belong to him as well. He did post a lengthy rant on Facebook regarding the "lack of respect" for peoples property after he discovered one of his cameras was missing. And no, he does not have permission to hunt on the property.

So one day this week when I have time I will be making a trip to town to visit with his dad. And for good measure I may just throw his ass under the bus in a response to his rant on Facebook. What's the worst that can happen? Him unfriending me over a verbal ass kicking? Lol

And all unclaimed, unmarked stands are going to find a new home in my garage

Wow, that's quite the twist.

You sound confident that the sheriff will side with you. That's good.

Yeah, I'd bust him good on FB. "Lack of respect"... Right.
Robert Ingersoll
Old 01-12-2014, 18:56   #19
Diesel_Bomber

Quote:
I like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Diesel_Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 19:01   #20
Jonesee

We've found them on the farm before.

We take them down and lay them at the foot of the tree.

The offenders have always gotten the message.
Jonesee is offline   Reply With Quote