SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:41   #1
concretus

IDPA Holster and Mag Pouches

Hello,
I I'm considering entering our club's monthly IDPA match using my G19. For a beginner; is there a recommended holster and mag pouch to use. Do you have to carry the pistol as I would carry consealed? I'll be asking around the club but I thought to get a jump on it....thanks!!!
concretus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:58   #2
Libertyforall

I'd suggest talking to whoever organizes the matches for your clubs. Typically they will have an orientation for new shooters that will answer all your questions and tell you how they want you to carry into the match. Matches are fairly strict on gun handling (for good reason) so you will want to get the info before you show up.

Signup at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
to support the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
with your Amazon purchases.
Libertyforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:56   #3
thomas15

With your G19 you can enter in SSP (stock Service Pistol). If you don't have a magazine pouch consider the Uncle Mikes double (double stack) pouch for a budget pouch that will get you started. Personally I use the paddle version but the belt loop kind is ok if you perfer. BTW, you will need a minimum of 3 magazines for your pistol.

For the holster, any kind of outside the waste band is ok as long as it isn't an offset holster (men), it must cover the trigger and retain the pistol. Some ranges, im told, do not allow holsters with a lot of cant and SOTB are not allowed. Most compeditors use either compac or blade tec Kydex stright drop holsters. I personally use a compac paddle stright drop, it is a little pricy but having a cheap holster, well, you know how that goes. I think any kind of inside the waste band holster is ok. Take a few minutes to browse the IDPA website and look at the rule book.

Of course a good belt. And a cover garment is required but some match directors allow new shooters to forgo the cover garment. Eyes and ears, almost everyone uses electronic muffs.

There are lots of youtube vids on IDPA covering everthing from gear to advice on actually shooting your first match. The previous poster is also giving good advice, talk to IDPA shooters at your club before investing any money.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:59   #4
WxGuy

BladeTech - IDPA Competition pack. You will be good to go!

Bob
GSSF - IDPA Competitor
Captain, Bullets and Bones Shooting Team
WxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:35   #5
Jon_R
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretus View Post
Hello,
I I'm considering entering our club's monthly IDPA match using my G19. For a beginner; is there a recommended holster and mag pouch to use. Do you have to carry the pistol as I would carry consealed? I'll be asking around the club but I thought to get a jump on it....thanks!!!
Do you have a holster and mag pouches now? If it is legal or at least close to legal and "safe" use that. Gets you out there cheap as possible and see if you like it. Also you can check out what everyone else is using and see what they ended up with and can ask them why.

Most like me probably have boxes of holsters.....
Jon_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:19   #6
ranger1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by WxGuy View Post
BladeTech - IDPA Competition pack. You will be good to go!

Bob
That was going to be my suggestion as well; and the combo pack can be had for around $50 so it's affordable as well; There are not many companies making gear that's of this quality for that price.

If you want to spend a bit more ($100 ish) , you can go with Comp-Tac, the gear is just a little bit sleeker, and a little nicer;

Having said that, the Blade Tec stuff is nice, affordable, and will make a nice basic/spare rig.....I would go with that.
ranger1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 14:45   #7
tinman517

I use an older Comp Tac kydex belt holster and a double mag holder for my 19. They make great stuff, which will last forever. For a belt, I use a 5 stitch wilderness instructor belt.

With regard to range/club policies, you should check with them.

You will enjoy IDPA. It gets better each time you go.
tinman517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:17   #8
ca survivor

I'll suggest that the first match just go and look what everybody is using/doing, so you will have a better idea.
edit to add: take your gun just in case, one time I loaned my belt to a first timer, so he could shoot that match, it was IPSC though.

Last edited by ca survivor; 06-05-2014 at 06:20..
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:42   #9
tango44

Fobus GL2 and 6900
Blade-Tech Revolution pack.
Can't go wrong with both
tango44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 15:17   #10
concretus

I just bought the Fobus GL-2-ND 6900 holster and mag pouch... Thanks for the tip...
concretus is offline   Reply With Quote