GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-09-2003, 14:25   #1
AmmoBabe

How do females you know feel about guns?

If you are a female on here, most likely you are not against guns, but maybe so! Tell me about your friends and family. Guys, what about your wife's views?
AmmoBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 14:58   #2
pizzaaguy

My wife, pizzaagrrl, is behind my owning and carrying 100%.
Old 07-09-2003, 17:32   #3
JeepDriver

My wife isn't anti gun or pro gun. ;Q

She's anti me spending loads of money on them though. :(

She had never been around guns until she met me (She's from England) She had never seen a gun other then the one's carried by the guards in the air ports. She was kind of amazed that I owned so many firearms and that I kept one loaded next to the bed at all times.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:09   #4
MoonMan
CLM Number 108
Charter Lifetime Member

My wife does not like guns.

On some level, she understands why I carry. She has accepted that I carry, and encourages me to get more training-- it makes her feel better. There seems to be a subtle change in the wind... Give me three or four more years, and I think I may get her to the range!

We have a mutual friend who is female. She is aware that I carry, but has never seen it. We have an unspoken don't ask/don't tell policy among us.
MoonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 14:23   #5
G Man .40
13 .40 + 1=G23

Quote:
Originally posted by pizzaaguy
My wife, pizzaagrrl, is behind my owning and carrying 100%.
Same here! Mrs G Woman.40 never handled or fired a handgun until I taught her. Now she wants to shoot magnum sized calibers. She won't practice though unless I'm with her. Her confidence level isn't good yet. But at least she was opened minded about it.
G Man .40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 16:40   #6
nigneil146

I pretty much have the same situation as GMAN. My girlfriend said she would have never even thought about shotting a gun until she met me. She started shooting about a month and a half ago with a .22, now she shoots my glock 30. She understands that I carry for our protection and eventually wants to get her CCW. She also can't wait to get a Kimber Ultra.
nigneil146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 16:52   #7
alaskaal

My wife is 100% supporter of the 2nd Ammendment and all it entails. She owns a Ruger Mark I auto pistol and a Glock 26 which is her carry pistol. She is a great shot. She really came full circle behind gun use in a practical sense due to an frightening experience on Memorial day this year. Everything turned out well for her and she really appreciates the security that firearms can provide.
alaskaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 00:23   #8
xena

Some of my women friends are totally anti gun but I've managed to get a few of them to the range and they had to admit they enjoyed the experience. Speaking for myself, I've always been interested in guns; as a child I found them far more interesting than dolls........Dad would take me out once in a while to plink at targets........did the M-16 range in the Army ..best part of basic. Exposure and education is everything. Hey, I'm fairly liberal but that doesn't preclude me from understanding the value of our second amendment rights!
xena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 03:16   #9
RH45

My x wife desested guns, but put up with them for 25+ years.

My girlfriend seems to like guns. She went on her first bear hunt with me last year, and harvested a bear. She also owns a Kimber pro elite that I gave her for Christmas.
RH45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 20:47   #10
Amelia

Send a message via ICQ to Amelia Send a message via AIM to Amelia Send a message via Yahoo to Amelia
Neither of my sisters have guns, but they respect that i do and seem pleased by that and the fact that i do get periodic training. My mother seems supportive as well. Some of my female friends who know that i have guns think it's a bit weird and others think it's cool. My female coworkers would disapprove, i'm sure, therefore they do not know about it.

Last edited by Amelia; 07-18-2003 at 07:44..
Amelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 07:10   #11
hk40lbuddies

My Exwife had no problems with guns and liked going to the range.

My current GF was scared to death by them - but over time I have slowly gotten her used to them. She let me get her son a BB gun for christmas - and I even got her to go to the range and shoot -she actually enjoyed it. One step at a time
Old 07-22-2003, 11:25   #12
Sotex

My wife's only experience with guns prior to meeting me was her brothers handing her a 12 guage loaded with magnums and having her touch one off. Yeah, great fun;Q

I started her off with lite .38s in a S&W M10, and she thouroughly enjoys shooting. She prefers my Glock 23.
"It is better to avoid than to fight, better to deter than to kill. But........It is better to kill than to die, or watch an innocent slaughtered, because you didn't have the wherewithal to defend them." - M. A.

"We should bear in mind that, in general, it is the object of our newspapers rather to create a sensation-to make a point-than to further the cause of truth."-Edgar Allan Poe(1809-1849)
Sotex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 23:26   #13
Kilroy
JAFMP

Send a message via ICQ to Kilroy
I give up four weekend days a year to run a range for the local Second Amendement Sisters. This free shoot is for new shooters. It brings out many that are curious and willing to learn more.

A very worth while project. We have about 40 per event, four times a year and give away a number of guns.

...was here

"Said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.
Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 03:25   #14
confused

Ex wife was very pro gun. Had a CCW though rarely carried. Ended up taking a bite out of my firearm collection in the divorce :-(

I am currently single. Had a few dates with a woman last month. The first 2 dates went very very well. Brought up guns on the 3rd date. She basically said that if she knew that someone owned guns she could not even be friends with them. I was extra careful the rest of the evening to make sure that I did not print or accidently let her touch me "there." After dropping her off, I declined the invitation to come in for a drink and as you can guess, that was the last date.

Since then, I have had a couple of dates with another woman. We have a date later this week and she has asked me to surprise her. I was going to take her for a sight seeing flight, but my plane will not be ready from it annual inspection by then. So, she does not know it, but we are going to an indoor pistol range. She is definitely in for a surprise, I hope I am not in for one as well.

Last edited by confused; 07-29-2003 at 03:29..
confused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 05:37   #15
Amelia

Send a message via ICQ to Amelia Send a message via AIM to Amelia Send a message via Yahoo to Amelia
confused,

good luck! Let us know what happens!

;a
Old 07-29-2003, 06:20   #16
hk40lbuddies

Quote:
[i]So, she does not know it, but we are going to an indoor pistol range. She is definitely in for a surprise, I hope I am not in for one as well. [/B]

Having been there let me give you a couple of suggestions.

1) if she balks at the idea when you get there - don't try to force it.
2) Please don't hand her a desert eagle 50 on her first run thru.

These assume that she isn't already into guns.

Good luck
Old 07-29-2003, 06:26   #17
Amelia

Good advice! ;f

A nice easy 22 would be a good place to start, in fact.

;e
Old 07-29-2003, 07:05   #18
confused

Thanks for the suggestions. There is no point in forcing things; either on the guns issue or on any other issue for that matter. People are who they are and if you try and force a change upon them, it is not going to work in the long term. Any change has to happen because the person wants to change.

I have taken men, women and friends' kids shooting before. I have always started them with a 38 special revolver and if things went well, moved on to something bigger. However, this is the first time I am taking someone who I have no clue where they stand on the gun issue. She asked for a surprise -- that much I will deliver.
confused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 12:50   #19
TJ in PA
Mistaken ID

Re: How do females you know feel about guns?

Quote:
Originally posted by AmmoBabe
If you are a female on here, most likely you are not against guns, but maybe so! Tell me about your friends and family. Guys, what about your wife's views?
Mrs DA in PA is fine with it. I taugh her how to shoot, carry, maintenance, and safety. She is now considering gettting her CCW.
TJ in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 16:22   #20
LewisQ
357SIG/10mm

Funny, my wife was the one who got me into guns. I didn't even had a gun before I met her and now I teach CCW!

I was not in the anti group but I just didn't know how much fun it was...
LewisQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 16:29   #21
dgg9

In my professional office-type circles, mostly liberal, it's about what you expect -- mostly reflexively anti. But I have been surprised a fair amount of the time. Many liberal yuppie type women accept gun ownership and carrying, on the self defense premise. On further examination, invariably there's some catalyzing event: either they, or more usually someone they know, were either attacked or much more usually simply scared by an intruder or a similar event where it became clear that not having a gun hindered THEM a whole lot more than the male criminal.

As for girlfriends, most were interested in finding out, and once I brought them to the range where they could shoot for themselves (and all shot gratifyingly well), that desensitized the issue. None went on to buy a gun, but the whole gun issue became a "so what" sort of thing.
dgg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 21:40   #22
Lew-G17

My wife is not bothered by guns and actually likes to shoot smaller caliber pistols and rifles. She is a very good shot, like most women seem to be. She is tolerating me getting a CCW and has been supportive about a loaded pistol in the house, she bought my fast access safe. I have not found the words yet to get her over her dislike of a CCW, but I'm sure with time she will see the reasoning.

Lew-G17
Lew-G17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 22:22   #23
geminicricket
NRA Life member

My wife hates guns.

My wife hates my guns.

My wife hates knowing that I have a gun.

My wife won't discuss guns around the kids.

My wife hates that I receive a couple of gun magazines in the mail.

And she says she loves me.
geminicricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 06:18   #24
hk40lbuddies

Quote:
Originally posted by confused
I have taken men, women and friends' kids shooting before. I have always started them with a 38 special revolver and if things went well, moved on to something bigger. However, this is the first time I am taking someone who I have no clue where they stand on the gun issue. She asked for a surprise -- that much I will deliver.
I would second Amelias suggestion of starting with a .22.
If she likes it let her ask you to try someting "bigger"
Old 08-10-2003, 16:19   #25
Vic303

Me'n the hubby are just biding our time to garner $$ to take our CHL classes here in TX! My preferred carry will likely be a .45, or a .357, FWIW.
Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
Vic303 is offline   Reply With Quote