SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-07-2012, 20:17   #1
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Great Day Today!

It was a perfect fall day today. Warm t-shirt weather, and sunny skies. No better day to go blast away at some IDPA targets for the afternoon. I usually take 6-800 rounds to the range of all types - just in case. Typically 150-200 is about right for a session.

Today was one of those days where I just kept reloading magazines, 'cause dang it, I was just having a little too much fun to stop. So after nearly 500 rounds, the web between my thumb and forefinger was an oozing blistery mess. I was feeling a bit, well, tired too. Stooping over to pick up all that brass was adding up to a bit of exercise. All told I shot 165 CMJs, 180 PowerBonds, and a bunch of XTPs. Accurate no. 5, & 7, Blue Dot, and Long Shot did the work.

What did I learn? A starting charge of Accurate no. 5 under a 180 gr PowerBond is a sweatheart of a soft shooter. I did not chrony it, but I'm thinking "FBI load." Felt recoil was a bit less than what I rember of Federal red box ammo. I typically don't download much for IDPA, but I'm going to try this in my match later this month (It is a night shoot in the dark, so I am going to get a read on muzzle flash with different powders). With the heavy G20 slide, it was a mellow load. It felt like shooting a G17.

The G20 continues to be indifferent to what I feed it. The aforementioned A5 loads, max charges of BD or Long Shot under XTPs, or charges in between. It does not care. I did not clean it after my prior session, so by the time I got through with it today, it was filthy. Still, complete reliable function.

I continue to be very happy with PowerBond bullets for general range use. They work well with, so far, A5, A7, A9, Blue Dot, and to a little lesser extent, Longshot. LS has not grouped quite as well as the other powders. I might mess around a little more to see if there is a charge it likes a bit better.

I shudder to think what today's fun would have cost if I did not load my own. Yikes! The PowerBond loads cost me 16 cents per round.

I hope you all had a great weekend and got to warm up your 10 millimeters.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:13   #2
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Yep..., sounds like a great weekend! (I posted up my range trip, too...). I also regularly think about how much I save (or how much more I SHOOT) since I reload.

AHHH
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 21:43   #3
akjaeger

I took a kid shooting today. He got to shoot a M1A and the Glock 20 with reloads. I got a serious doubletake when I told him to shoot all he wanted.
akjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:43   #4
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by akjaeger View Post
I took a kid shooting today. He got to shoot a M1A and the Glock 20 with reloads. I got a serious doubletake when I told him to shoot all he wanted.
Sounds like a pretty cool time for the lucky kid.

M1As are fun to shoot. I like shooting old battle rifles. In the past month or two I've had the privilage of shooting a nice historical cross section of battle rifles:

1903 Springfield
M1917 Enfield
30-40 Krag Carbine
Schmidt-Rubin 1896
1884 Springfield Trapdoor
M1 Carbine
M1 Garand
M1A
K31 (this is a sweatheart of a shooter)
Lee-Enfield Mk 4
Mosin-Nagant
AR-15
I think I'm missing one or two

Each of them is unique in their own way. I wish I could say that they were all mine!
Old 10-28-2012, 22:01   #5
Jay/g20

I have run the Powerbond 180's FP & HP with 5.3 W231/ WLP primer/ starline nickle/col 1.255/ fps. avg. 993 /Glock 20/ 6" KKM <<< love this barrel
This is a very soft shooting load, very accurate and I love being able to double tap these just as soon as the trigger resets with great accuracy. Its just a feel good about your shooting abilities type of steel plinking load.
Jay/g20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 21:37   #6
MakeMineA10mm
Lifetime Membership
300AAC brass

Nice post, Tater.

I don't think your (or any G20) will ever be a jam-a-matic, unless something is seriously wrong. Try this exercise sometime: load your magazine with (sized) empty cases, rack the slide and let it go (yes, full speed), and watch that thing load and shuck empty brass!!! If a gun does that, it will be very hard for it to also be a jamamatic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Looking for: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.
MakeMineA10mm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 20:20   #7
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeMineA10mm View Post
Nice post, Tater.

I don't think your (or any G20) will ever be a jam-a-matic, unless something is seriously wrong. Try this exercise sometime: load your magazine with (sized) empty cases, rack the slide and let it go (yes, full speed), and watch that thing load and shuck empty brass!!! If a gun does that, it will be very hard for it to also be a jamamatic.
Exactly right. My G20 is an ammo eating machine. The only failures were due to 1) worn parts, 2) aftermarket spring, and 3) human error due to improper maintenance. Otherwise, it can go thousands of rounds without a failure.

Great to see you back on the forum MMa10. It has been a while!