Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-09-2014, 20:55   #1
fredj338

DT 10/200gr wnfp

Anyone have a meplat measurement on this bullet?
Thx
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 21:55   #2
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Here you go Fred this will show you exactly what was found...Enjoy!

Cartridge is from Ammo Manufacture: Double Tap 200gr Wide Flat Nose Hard Cast Gas Checked
Ballistics Information: 10mm Auto
Muzzle Velocity: 1300 fps
Muzzle Energy: 750 ft. lbs
Brass Make/Headstamp: Double Tap - Nickel
Bullet Make/Weight/Construction/Info; Length 0.6420”/Dia. 0.4005”: 200gr. WFNGC MEPLAT 0.3235” / Gas Checked / Cannelure 0.3865”
Actual weight 198.6 grains Crimp squeezed bullet to N/A
C.O.A.L.: 1.2450”
Primer: Brass color
Case: Diameter 0.4215” Crimp Diameter 0.4185” (Tight) Length 0.9875”
Powder Description/Positive ID/Type/Charge Weight: LongShot 8.2 grains

10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum

10mm Reloading Forum
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 22:45   #3
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Good info. Another option is the same bullet type from Beartooth. A bit more consistent quality, but nearly identical profile. DT used to load the BT before insourcing casting.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:16   #4
fredj338

Thx guys. Interesting the bullet dia is so small for cast, maybe the gc helps there. For the cost of the beartooth, having a mold made seems worthwhile. I would go w/o gc though, only looking to run 1200fos in my g20sf.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
Old 11-10-2014, 10:20   #5
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Yea I'd like it better if the cannelure was not cut in that one (38-40 style), the lube groove could be higher and a little more lube above the gas check. There are various styles out there without the gas check. Then if the bullet was made without any lube grooves and poly powdered paint coated, that would keep it shorter for the weight, allowing better pressures at achieved velocities.
Old 11-10-2014, 19:15   #6
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Shadow View Post
Yea I'd like it better if the cannelure was not cut in that one (38-40 style), the lube groove could be higher and a little more lube above the gas check. There are various styles out there without the gas check. Then if the bullet was made without any lube grooves and poly powdered paint coated, that would keep it shorter for the weight, allowing better pressures at achieved velocities.
I can have anything I want from Accurate molds. They have a design I like, no crimp groove but the meplat is a little small. No big deal though, he will make anything you want, same price. Just got 1K Starline so maybe time to get a new mold dedicated to the 10mm.
Old 11-23-2014, 14:39   #7
fredj338

First run thru the new mold. As cast, ww alloy with a little Lino, coming out at 195gr. I went with a no gc design, 0.0.310" meplate, now for some load dev. No gc should not be an issue running under 1200fps, which is plenty fast for a solid of this type.
10mm Reloading Forum

Last edited by fredj338; 11-23-2014 at 15:05..
Old 11-23-2014, 16:12   #8
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Fred that looks great, it looks like it has a bevel to the base. If you want to get a little heavier, that bevel could be removed.

Good luck, let us know how they work and feed!
Old 11-23-2014, 18:14   #9
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Shadow View Post
Fred that looks great, it looks like it has a bevel to the base. If you want to get a little heavier, that bevel could be removed.

Good luck, let us know how they work and feed!
Yeah I thought about going flat base, but this is easier to cast & load. Most of my cast bullets are fb. Lubed, the bullet will be close to 200gr, 195-200, matters little. I am interested to see which powder gives me best accuracy in a stock Glock bbl.
Old 11-23-2014, 22:16   #10
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Yeah I thought about going flat base, but this is easier to cast & load. Most of my cast bullets are fb. Lubed, the bullet will be close to 200gr, 195-200, matters little. I am interested to see which powder gives me best accuracy in a stock Glock bbl.
Thanks for the update Fred. Those look about right! You have my attention. I look forward to your range report(s).

I assume that you're intending to test with the usual suspects: BD, A9, LS?
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 14:41   #11
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
Thanks for the update Fred. Those look about right! You have my attention. I look forward to your range report(s).

I assume that you're intending to test with the usual suspects: BD, A9, LS?
Yep, looking for an easy 1200fps. I don't think much is gained pushing a solid any faster with the increase in pressures. I'll do a wetpack test against my fav 44mag load.