Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:46   #1
21Glock

G4 20 users, full power loads, all stock or after-market RSAs and barrels?

Hi guys,
I have been shooting my Gen4 G20 for some time now. I'll admit I don't shoot it as much as I do my 45s. I have 3 now, with my new 30S.
Not long after I got my G4 ,I went to a KKM 6" barrel and a non-captured ss guide rod and a 22lb. ISMI recoil spring. I shot it this pass weekend and had some FTFs with my 175gr. LEE TC homecast bullets using 11grs. Blue Dot. I know this a top end load. I didn't have any FTFs when I was shooting my 180gr. Hornady XTPs in front of 9.6 of Longshot, which is a top end load as well.
I went to the KKM barrel for the case support and better fps.
I remember when I shot my first loads when it was all stock, I had no FTFs and the gun had no hiccups. This is with the G4 RSA that came with the gun.
But, the loads weren't quite as hot as these were either.
I'm thinking of taming the loads a little and going all stock again for no more FTFs.
I'm not wanting any smiley's either since I reload, of course.
Any thoughts or experiences like this with your G4 G20s?

Last edited by 21Glock; 03-18-2015 at 10:44..
21Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:46   #2
Taterhead
Counting Beans

I don't have a gen 4, but in my gen 3 had failures with hit loads with the after market RSA. I think the recoil cycle can be too quick for the magazine to properly lift the next round in time. The forward slide return velocity is increased, so it is attempting to collect the next round before out its lifted into place by the magazine.

FWIW, i wouldn't personally shoot a load that caused smiles in my stock barrel -- even with an after market.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 14:06   #3
21Glock

Thanks for the info. Tater. I guess I will need to experiment with some new loads and the original barrel and the Gen 4 RSA. I think I still could use the KKM 6" barrel with the Gen 4 RSA for the hotter loads.
On my hot cast loads I use some good high speed lube on my bullets and have a gas check on there so leading should be very little or none with my stock barrel.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:28   #4
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

The stock RSA unit on the Gen4 20/21 is the best option for heavier loads, there is ZERO need for an aftermarket one unless you're running very light loads. When I had a Gen4 20 I never had an issue with it at all, even with a KKM barrel but I always used the stock RSA. In my Gen4 21 shooting .45 Super I still use the stock RSA and although it's a comped KKM barrel, it handles spicy handloads (255gr @ 1325 fps) very well and better than any aftermarket RSA I've ever had.

Back to the Gen4 20, even in bone stock form when I had mine it would eat some rather spicy handloads as well even from the stock barrel, along the lines of a 180gr JHP at 1350 fps fast (using 3N38). But with your lead bullets just keep a close eye on leading, I've shot lead in some Glock barrels with zero leading and some that painted the whole barrel in a coating of lead.

Last edited by SDGlock23; 03-20-2015 at 09:30..
SDGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:50   #5
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts

I most often use 20 pound springs for hot ammo in my G20. I found 22 pounds to be a bit too heavy for best reliability in all but the hottest loads. The stock 17 pounder is fine with weak ammo, and will cycle hot stuff reliably, but I think it batters the frame to use the weak spring with anything but target stuff, so I only use it for that.

If they shipped new G20s with 20 or 22 pound springs too many guys would complain that weak ammo does not cycle well, so they go with the spring that's best suited to the stuff that's most commonly available in stores. I think they realize that anyone who wants to spend bigger bucks on hot ammo will probably also think nothing of buying himself a new spring. I disagree that one spring fits all loads in a gun like the 10MM, where the power of the ammo spans such a wide range of power levels.
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 14:43   #6
jkib

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Glock View Post
Hi guys,
I have been shooting my Gen4 G20 for some time now. I'll admit I don't shoot it as much as I do my 45s. I have 3 now, with my new 30S.
Not long after I got my G4 ,I went to a KKM 6" barrel and a non-captured ss guide rod and a 22lb. ISMI recoil spring. I shot it this pass weekend and had some FTFs with my 175gr. LEE TC homecast bullets using 11grs. Blue Dot. I know this a top end load. I didn't have any FTFs when I was shooting my 180gr. Hornady XTPs in front of 9.6 of Longshot, which is a top end load as well.
I went to the KKM barrel for the case support and better fps.
I remember when I shot my first loads when it was all stock, I had no FTFs and the gun had no hiccups. This is with the G4 RSA that came with the gun.
But, the loads weren't quite as hot as these were either.
I'm thinking of taming the loads a little and going all stock again for no more FTFs.
I'm not wanting any smiley's either since I reload, of course.
Any thoughts or experiences like this with your G4 G20s?
Read post #19 here. http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1567246
jkib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:23   #7
21Glock

Thanks JKIB! I looked on their web site and they said the one for the Gen 4 Glocks are on backorder. It has them on sale at $95. Pricey, but if it does what it says it does and it obviously does on your gun, it might be worth a try.
Looks like it takes the Gen 4 RSA set up and goes a step or 3 further.
I have a Gen G21SF rigged for 460 Rowland that this would be great on as well. More recoil than my Gen 20, but the Rowland gun has a comp and heavy captured springs on there too.
They show the Gen 3 RSA type adapter for Gen 4 guns like I have on my Gen 4 now.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:30   #8
21Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post
The stock RSA unit on the Gen4 20/21 is the best option for heavier loads, there is ZERO need for an aftermarket one unless you're running very light loads. When I had a Gen4 20 I never had an issue with it at all, even with a KKM barrel but I always used the stock RSA. In my Gen4 21 shooting .45 Super I still use the stock RSA and although it's a comped KKM barrel, it handles spicy handloads (255gr @ 1325 fps) very well and better than any aftermarket RSA I've ever had.

Back to the Gen4 20, even in bone stock form when I had mine it would eat some rather spicy handloads as well even from the stock barrel, along the lines of a 180gr JHP at 1350 fps fast (using 3N38). But with your lead bullets just keep a close eye on leading, I've shot lead in some Glock barrels with zero leading and some that painted the whole barrel in a coating of lead.
On the load mentioned above, were you able to reload the
brass after it was shot from the stock barrel? How bad were the bulges on the brass from the stock barrel firings?
Any smileys?

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2015, 08:18   #9
21Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post

Also, my top end Blue Dot 175gr. home cast LEE TC gas checked loads are running at about 1250fps+ and my Long Shot Hornady 180 XTP HP loads are running at the 1350+ fps level. So I would be real curious to see how your stock barrel treated the brass using these types of loads when you had your Gen 4 20

Thanks!

Last edited by 21Glock; 03-21-2015 at 12:28..
Old 03-21-2015, 22:54   #10
jkib

Quote:
Thanks JKIB! I looked on their web site and they said the one for the Gen 4 Glocks are on backorder. It has them on sale at $95. Pricey, but if it does what it says it does and it obviously does on your gun, it might be worth a try.
Looks like it takes the Gen 4 RSA set up and goes a step or 3 further.
I have a Gen G21SF rigged for 460 Rowland that this would be great on as well. More recoil than my Gen 20, but the Rowland gun has a comp and heavy captured springs on there too.
They show the Gen 3 RSA type adapter for Gen 4 guns like I have on my Gen 4 now.
I have heard there may be a heavy duty DPM spring kit for really hot stuff. The standard kit worked great for me, even with the UW and DT hard cast. Cut my brass launch from around 20-25ft to 10-12ft. I ordered mine from Israel here http://www.zahal.org/ since everybody in the US was out. Only took 2 weeks. They were very responsive with emails and all. Highly recommend them if you don't want to wait for stock. Look online for a discount coupon for them.
Good luck!
jkib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:07   #11
21Glock

Thanks! Looks like they may offer one for Gen 4s without having to use a Gen 3 adapter. But, it may be for the Gen 4 sub-compacts, because it looks like a shorter guiderod.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:51   #12
Kwesi

I've been using a Wolf 22# spring with separate guide rod with no issues in my Gen 3 G20. My loads are 180r FMJ's chrono'd 1150-1200. Im using a KKM bbl.
Kwesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 18:39   #13
21Glock

Well, guys I had one of the best days ever at the range shooting my Gen 4 20, all stock this time. No jams or malfunctions of any kind. I was concerned about the brass bulging too much. My load of 11gr.(top end load, by the way) of Blue Dot under a homecast LEE 175gr. TC GC bullets was quite good to the brass. Definitely reloadable!
Glock has definitely done better with case support in their barrels in these later models in the last few years.
I may just use my KKM barrel for very hot loads from now on. I also have a DPM 3 spring recoil reducing RSA coming in soon. I may use this with the KKM barrel on the 20, if it DOESN"T JAM like my ISMI 22lb. ss guide rod rsa that I put together.

If it does, back it goes or into my Gen 3 21SF set up for .460 Rowland.
But today was a great day with my Gen 4 20.
Old 03-29-2015, 21:42   #14
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Good deal 21Glock. It is nice when things just go like they're supposed to!!

I on the other hand, spent a beautiful sunny day at the office trying to put the finishing touches on a long-term project. So no shooting for me. I have a big stack of test loads in the queue, for 3 calibers, that I need to get to.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:04   #15
21Glock

Yes Tater, it is nice. Like Hanibal on the A-Team said, "I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER". This one certainly did. Love my Gen 4 20 more than ever. Great gun!

Hope your test loads work out for you like they should.

HAPPY EASTER!
Old 04-02-2015, 23:26   #16
happie2shoot

Quote:
Well, guys I had one of the best days ever at the range shooting my Gen 4 20, all stock this time. No jams or malfunctions of any kind. I was concerned about the brass bulging too much. My load of 11gr.(top end load, by the way) of Blue Dot under a homecast LEE 175gr. TC GC bullets was quite good to the brass. Definitely reloadable!
Glock has definitely done better with case support in their barrels in these later models in the last few years.
I may just use my KKM barrel for very hot loads from now on. I also have a DPM 3 spring recoil reducing RSA coming in soon. I may use this with the KKM barrel on the 20, if it DOESN"T JAM like my ISMI 22lb. ss guide rod rsa that I put together.

If it does, back it goes or into my Gen 3 21SF set up for .460 Rowland.
But today was a great day with my Gen 4 20.
Are you using free checks on that 175gr lee boolit?
happie2shoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:47   #17
21Glock

Yes, I am using gas checks on the bullet. TC GC
Old 04-09-2015, 12:08   #18
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Quote:
On the load mentioned above, were you able to reload the
brass after it was shot from the stock barrel? How bad were the bulges on the brass from the stock barrel firings?
Any smileys?

Thanks!
On the 20 it had rather good case support and while there was some minor bulging, as is the norm with practically any .40 and 10mm, nothing serious and the brass was definitely reusable, no smileys.
Old 04-09-2015, 14:51   #19
21Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkib View Post
I have heard there may be a heavy duty DPM spring kit for really hot stuff. The standard kit worked great for me, even with the UW and DT hard cast. Cut my brass launch from around 20-25ft to 10-12ft. I ordered mine from Israel here http://www.zahal.org/ since everybody in the US was out. Only took 2 weeks. They were very responsive with emails and all. Highly recommend them if you don't want to wait for stock. Look online for a discount coupon for them.
Good luck!
My DPM unit for my Gen 4 20 came in last weekend. I haven't had a chance to take it out yet and try it.
Can't wait to see the improvement on feeding and recoil management that you've experienced with this RSA on your 20.
If it works like it should, I'll probably get one for my Gen 3 21SF I have set up for .460 Rowland. That's a beast that could use some taming of the slide speed for sure.
Old 04-10-2015, 20:04   #20
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
Some Dude

I've had my G20G4 for about a year.

I have shot UA/BB, several hundred rounds, through it in the stock configuration and with the 6"KKM barrel with no issues. YMMV.

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632
The 10 Ring #00720

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. JTull7
R.I.P. Mullah (aka El_Ron1) ~ R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is online now   Reply With Quote