Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-07-2014, 17:50   #1
WeeWilly

Beartooth Bullets 200gr WFNGC

In a few of recent threads regarding this manufacturer I posted that I ordered the bullets, got no acknowledgment of the order and more than 5 months later some bullets arrived.

OK, that is the bad news.

Now for the good news. These are some of the best bullets I have ever shot. I loaded up a number of ladders testing them in my G29SF, G20SF and my 10mm 1911.

Normally with most of the usual suspects of slower powders I use in heavy 10mm, it takes a while to find a load that delivers consistent velocities and tight groups. This was not the case with the BT bullets. Very quickly with each powder I tried I got up on a step of lower SD's and with each increment of powder, just got consistently more velocity, accuracy was uniformly excellent.

So in the final analysis, I wish delivery times were quicker, but even if my next order takes another 6 months, the wait will have been worth it. I can't think of a better hunting bullet for a 10mm chamber.
Old 06-07-2014, 20:16   #2
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Good post. My experience is almost the same. Although I've run only A9, and in only one gun. That is a great bullet, and I also highly recommend it. The thing is a hammer. The BT bullet is a superior quality compared to the knock-off version from Double Tap.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:03   #3
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Interesting....

I've not had much luck getting either Doubletap's WFNGC 200gr bullet *OR* Beartooth's 200gr WFNGC bullet to shoot more than moderately accurate so far.... Although I'm thinking about dropping down my charges and starting over with my workups (the next time I get some of those bullets).

They are the most devastating hunting bullets a guy can buy, yes. If I could make them as accurate as i'd like, I'd probably use them exclusively. Which would probably push me over the edge to start casting my own.....
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:35   #4
WeeWilly

Very weird. I will say I didn't push them to nuclear velocities, I have yet to get my notes out and load them into my spreadsheet, I think peak velocities were about 1250fps out of my 5" 1911. The thing that really got me was how well so many of the powders worked in such a wide range. Usually with something like Longshot I really have to get the pressures up to start seeing consistent results, with the BT I started getting decent SD's with mid range book kind of charges.

I am so impressed with them, I am considering using them as my SD load over my tried and true XTP. The good news is I won't have to decide that for at least 5 months...
Old 06-08-2014, 11:02   #5
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

WeeWilly, I'd be interested in the load details of your ladder test...I cast some 200's from my RCBS TC SWC mold and load them with 10.0grains of Blue Dot, they have provided some good accuracy from my guns thus far, but still studying various loadings.
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 13:20   #6
WeeWilly

I will do Shadow. It will be a while as my system is pretty primitive (unless I am using my Magnetospeed Chronograph with rifle loads).

I did test BD, along with #9, 800x and Longshot.

I have never been able to get BD to settle down velocity wise, the ES/SD numbers are always larger with it than just about any other powder I load in 10mm. I have never figured out why. I really like it as I can load it in all my favorite calibers and also use it for game loads in 12ga, so I usually have a few jugs around. Because SD's in the 40's and above are normal, I use it mainly for practice loads.

Looking at my sheets, my best load for the 200gr WFNGC BT's was 8.4gr of Longshot loaded to 1.250", it came in at an average 1120fps from my G29, 1172fps from the G20 and 1205fps from my 5" 1911, all with what looks like very low single digit SD's (these are hand weighed, drop and trickle to my RCBS 1010, so I wouldn't expect this kind of consistency when loaded in volume from my Dillon).

I forgot my 6" KKM barrel for my G20 (again!), so I have no numbers from a hunting length barrel, but I think you could take those numbers from the 1911 up another 50fps as a target with that barrel.

PS - I couldn't load this bullet any longer than 1.250" and get it to feed through the magazines.

Last edited by WeeWilly; 06-08-2014 at 13:25..
WeeWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 13:25   #7
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Nick, compared to a 200 gr XTP, they certainly don't group as well -- but then nothing does. For me, I am using them as a defensive bullet rather than for hunting. So I have not needed to get great groups at 80 yards. 30 and in are just fine for SD situations.

I wonder if BT would size them another half a thousandth larger for you next time you order. They are .401, but maybe a skosh wider might tighten up groups for you. Fiddling with bullet fit seems to be the key to getting lead to work right. I kind of think that BT might be able to do that since they don't make them until you order them.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 15:26   #8
harley45

I cast my own from a mold of a similar shape that I got over on the cast boolit forum. I do size them to .402 and use a plain base gas check. That gives me accuracy comparable to the XTPs. Hope this helps some.
harley45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 18:19   #9
happie2shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley45 View Post
I cast my own from a mold of a similar shape that I got over on the cast boolit forum. I do size them to .402 and use a plain base gas check. That gives me accuracy comparable to the XTPs. Hope this helps some.
Is this what you cast, I have this one and I would like to try
some beer checks with it.
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...6ci7t5o8nuvbv5

I have got 1285fps with 800x and it seems to shoot good.

Do you make your checks and would you sell some.

Last edited by happie2shoot; 06-10-2014 at 18:20.. Reason: add link
happie2shoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 19:16   #10
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
Nick, compared to a 200 gr XTP, they certainly don't group as well -- but then nothing does. For me, I am using them as a defensive bullet rather than for hunting. So I have not needed to get great groups at 80 yards. 30 and in are just fine for SD situations.

I wonder if BT would size them another half a thousandth larger for you next time you order. They are .401, but maybe a skosh wider might tighten up groups for you. Fiddling with bullet fit seems to be the key to getting lead to work right. I kind of think that BT might be able to do that since they don't make them until you order them.
I suspect you are correct, Tater... and I'm SURE they would accommodate a request to size them a bit larger for me. I'll get around to ordering more one of these days but right now I've got a bunch of 200gr XTP's I need to load ladders up for and I've got family coming this weekend and a baby shower and yard work and ... well, you get the picture. LOL. Someday.

Good idea, though. I'm not willing to give up on these bullets, however, IDEALLY, I'd like to simply get a nice 10mm mould and a casting kit and do it all myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 06-12-2014, 22:49   #11
happie2shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickE10mm View Post
I suspect you are correct, Tater... and I'm SURE they would accommodate a request to size them a bit larger for me. I'll get around to ordering more one of these days but right now I've got a bunch of 200gr XTP's I need to load ladders up for and I've got family coming this weekend and a baby shower and yard work and ... well, you get the picture. LOL. Someday.

Good idea, though. I'm not willing to give up on these bullets, however, IDEALLY, I'd like to simply get a nice 10mm mould and a casting kit and do it all myself.
What kind of barrel are you using and you need to slug
the barrel and use boolits over grove diameter for best
results, usually.
happie2shoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:51   #12
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happie2shoot View Post
What kind of barrel are you using and you need to slug
the barrel and use boolits over grove diameter for best
results, usually.
Yep, i'm aware of how to get a cast boolit working but just haven't had the time lately.

G20 or Fusion barrels (which I've slugged many times) .... Same accuracy results with each are all the same result: mediocre.

Why do I carry a 10mm?