Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-28-2014, 13:47   #1
Taz10

10mm with 180gr xtp using Power Pistol, Bullseye advice?

Hi,

I am new to reloading and have the 2nd edit Lee manual and Lyman 49th edit manual. ( Niether of these supply info on a 180gr xtp ).

I am looking for info on loading 10mm with 180gr XTP using Power Pistol and Bullseye. Does anyone have or know if the new Hornady manual supplies this info?

Mainly looking to work up a hunting load to practice with and would like to know a good starting point as far as both powders.

Thanks
Taz10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 19:27   #2
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Taz10, welcome to the forum! You can usually substitute bullets of equal weights with the same powder charge if you have data for the same type as in Jacketed HP for Jacketed HP.

I have used most of this data for 10mm and the Power Pistol loads have been great with the Hornady 180XTP's...
10mm Reloading Forum

You can usually use the same powder charge for an FMJ type that is used for a JHP style.

Just remember Hollow Points are usually longer than FMJ styles and thus will raise pressures if you try to use FMJ data with a HP design.

Also the 100% copper bullets are considerably longer even though their weights are less , they take up more space inside the casing.

That being said let me introduce you to the 10mm firearms forum; http://10mm-firearms.com/index.php
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 21:30   #3
WeeWilly

Using the load data Shadow posted above, 180gr JHP, should work great for your XTP's. Alliant data lists the max load and they recommend dropping 10% for start levels.

180XTP is my favorite 10mm bullet. I just loaded a couple hundred of them about an hour ago.

Skip the Bullseye for 10mm, save it for your 45 ACP rounds. It will also work fine for 9mm.

Have fun.
Old 09-29-2014, 14:46   #4
Taz10

Shadow, thanks for the info and chart!

Weewilly, thanks for the info. I will be using the Bullseye for 9mm.

Got the equipment now just doing more research and looking through load manuals before diving into it. Can't wait
Old 09-30-2014, 18:26   #5
OhioGlockMan

I've never shot the XTP's but one time about 5 years I got a great deal on a bulk buy of hornady 180 HAP which is the same bullet but without the serrations so its cheaper and meant for target practice. I would load them with 8 grains power pistol for around 1200 fps and 8.4 (hornadays max from an old manual circa 1990 before loads became watered down a lot today), 8.4 does around 1300 FPS. My numbers are from a 6 inch lone wolf barrel so expect around 75 fps less in stock length and I always use mixed brass and winchester WLP primers, in between a mag and standard so I just make life simple by always using the winchesters
OhioGlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 18:07   #6
Taz10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGlockMan View Post
I've never shot the XTP's but one time about 5 years I got a great deal on a bulk buy of hornady 180 HAP which is the same bullet but without the serrations so its cheaper and meant for target practice. I would load them with 8 grains power pistol for around 1200 fps and 8.4 (hornadays max from an old manual circa 1990 before loads became watered down a lot today), 8.4 does around 1300 FPS. My numbers are from a 6 inch lone wolf barrel so expect around 75 fps less in stock length and I always use mixed brass and winchester WLP primers, in between a mag and standard so I just make life simple by always using the winchesters
Thanks for the info! I had just got some 180 gr HAP delivered today. Figured that would be a little cheaper to practice with different loads until I find one that works good.
Old 10-02-2014, 20:18   #7
OhioGlockMan

No problem and FYI blue dot was another powder I tested with that bullet and found a load I liked with 10.5 grains, this choreographed 1300 FPS out of my 6 inch barrel, probably would be around 1200 with a standard length G20 barrel. Again I always use winchester WLP primers with 10mm
OhioGlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote