Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:48   #1
OhioGlockMan

10mm bullets out of muzzleloader

Well just got my first muzzleloader, nothing special just a CVA wolf 50 cal, just figured I had to get one eventually and they are not that expensive.

I'm researching all the options with loads etc and notice they make the high pressure sabots in 50/40 caliber, I got a few hundered on order because I have thousands of 10mm bullets. I'm researching all the loading tables and notice you can launch these 180-200 grain bullets around 2200 FPS with the hotter charges, wowww. I'm assuming the pistol JHP bullets would just fly apart at that velocity but what about the wide flat nose hard cast bullets, I imagine those will be devistating over 2000 fps! I don't plan on huntin with them just tinkering around, blasting bowling pins and old washing machines.
OhioGlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 18:39   #2
hubcap500

Here's a link to a great board with very helpful people.

http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com/

Good luck
hubcap500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 00:41   #3
KappaAlphaASU

If you decide to use .40 caliber bullets, I would try to go 200 grains or heavier and use a bonded bullet. I have heard of jacketed bullets coming apart at higher velocities, but I don't exactly know what that velocity would be for a 200 grain .40 caliber bullet. I would imagine that you could load it fairly light and still get some impressive velocities and accuracy.
KappaAlphaASU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 20:44   #4
hubcap500

FWIW, generally the smaller the bullet diameter (therefore the thicker the sabot), the poorer the accuracy. YMMV.
hubcap500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 23:58   #5
vikingsoftpaw

Muzzle stuffers were getting really good results with 200 grain 10mm Black Talon pulled slugs and sabots years ago. No projectile disintegration. Just think of the results with a modern bonded bonded or composite slug.

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine
vikingsoftpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 20:22   #6
OhioGlockMan

I just think it's insane we can push our 180 and 200 grain bullets to insane velocities from the muzzleloaders, like 2100 FPS, I can't think of another 40 cal cartridge we could do that from. I am not planning on hunting with it but if I were I would def stick to a 200 gr JHP. I do plan on plinking with it and blasting some old washing machines and bowling pins with hard cast 200 grain wide flat nose at over 2000 fps, I bet that will be devistating
OhioGlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote