GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 18:26   #101
glock20c10mm
Senior Member
 
glock20c10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Out West
Posts: 5,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrixs View Post
I was using magnum primers with the 2400 as well. With both powders I maintained 1.260" OAL.
That helps put it into a clearer perspective. Thanks again for sharing.
__________________
Free Men Don't Need To Ask Permission To Bear Arms

The Glock 29 is the most versatile handgun yet produced.
glock20c10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 17:54   #102
CanyonMan
In The Saddle
 
CanyonMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by glock20c10mm View Post
Great info. Hardly anyone brings up 2400 powder with the 10mm Auto.Yes, a chronograph would be great, even a cheap one being better than nothing. I'm slowly piecing reloading stuff together to get into it myself.

You said you never reached high pressure signs with 13.5gr-2400 w/180gr bullet. Did you also use magnum primers with that load?

With either the 2400 and Blue Dot loads did you go with a COL over 1.260" for more powder capacity?


Craig,


I don't have much to add here, but I used 2400 in the G20 waaaay back years ago when I first got a 10mm, probablt 14/15 years ago ?? Because I shoot so much 2400/Unique/H110 in the big bores, I had plenty 2400 on hand. I was using 13+ grs with a Beartooth 200gr cast bullet for a tad over 1200fps, stock barrel.

I finally landed on a "sweet spot' with blue Dot, so that is about all I use in the 10mm now, but the 2400 worked fine (at least with the HC bullets) and was very accurate out at extremely long range. I used standard 300 CCI primers. I just never liked mixing a mag primer with 2400. Doable, Just was not what I do/did.

I guess I'm just saying, that I really have no problem with 2400 in the 10mm with a 200 gr bullet. I used it for a deer load and a stuff hit the fan load out on the place for a long time, until, as I said I discovered that BD was giving me some what better results. Now I see so many on here usng LS powder and it has aroused (sp) my interest, so I may try that.

2400 in 10mm, I liked it and it worked great. But I am a "major" 2400 fan..


Stay safe !






CM
__________________
You boy's saddled this bronc, now let's see if you can ride it.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 19:41   #103
glock20c10mm
Senior Member
 
glock20c10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Out West
Posts: 5,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonMan View Post
Craig,


I don't have much to add here, but I used 2400 in the G20 waaaay back years ago when I first got a 10mm, probablt 14/15 years ago ?? Because I shoot so much 2400/Unique/H110 in the big bores, I had plenty 2400 on hand. I was using 13+ grs with a Beartooth 200gr cast bullet for a tad over 1200fps, stock barrel.

I finally landed on a "sweet spot' with blue Dot, so that is about all I use in the 10mm now, but the 2400 worked fine (at least with the HC bullets) and was very accurate out at extremely long range. I used standard 300 CCI primers. I just never liked mixing a mag primer with 2400. Doable, Just was not what I do/did.

I guess I'm just saying, that I really have no problem with 2400 in the 10mm with a 200 gr bullet. I used it for a deer load and a stuff hit the fan load out on the place for a long time, until, as I said I discovered that BD was giving me some what better results. Now I see so many on here usng LS powder and it has aroused (sp) my interest, so I may try that.

2400 in 10mm, I liked it and it worked great. But I am a "major" 2400 fan..


Stay safe !






CM
Sounds like 2400 is a good "Honorable Mention" for 10mm. Not the best, but respectable.

Is 2400 a flame thrower (lots of muzzle flash) like Blue Dot?
__________________
Free Men Don't Need To Ask Permission To Bear Arms

The Glock 29 is the most versatile handgun yet produced.
glock20c10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 20:28   #104
dm1906
Retired SO
 
dm1906's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: PRK (Kalifornia)
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by glock20c10mm View Post
Sounds like 2400 is a good "Honorable Mention" for 10mm. Not the best, but respectable.

Is 2400 a flame thrower (lots of muzzle flash) like Blue Dot?
It's a flame thrower, especially heavier loads in short barrels. I use a lot of it, but I need better performance in longer barrels (16-24"). Use magnum primers and start with a low charge and work up. The 2400 burn rate is slower than BD and LS, and little faster than AA9.
__________________
Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid. -- The Duke
dm1906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:41   #105
CanyonMan
In The Saddle
 
CanyonMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by glock20c10mm View Post
Sounds like 2400 is a good "Honorable Mention" for 10mm. Not the best, but respectable.

Is 2400 a flame thrower (lots of muzzle flash) like Blue Dot?


about the same perhaps. I know it has never bothered me in any kind of way, or blinded me..... I am sure there are better powders and with lower muzzle flash. But I just like the BD and the 2400. BUT, I am on the road to trying out the LS and take a look see at it as well.



Later







CM
__________________
You boy's saddled this bronc, now let's see if you can ride it.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:18   #106
dm1906
Retired SO
 
dm1906's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: PRK (Kalifornia)
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by glock20c10mm View Post
Sounds like 2400 is a good "Honorable Mention" for 10mm. Not the best, but respectable.

Is 2400 a flame thrower (lots of muzzle flash) like Blue Dot?
Some things to consider:

Just noticed your username, and will assume you are shooting a 20C. This presents a unique situation when considering full power loads.

More gas/flash will result in more gas/flash in your face (view). Returns on increased power rounds will be less comparative performance, while increasing the volume of gas. You will have to decide the balance between sufficient velocity and acceptable gas levels. While it can be a benefit, in regards to muzzle flip, you will reach a point when it works against you, and kills accuracy and handling characteristics. The 20C, in OEM form, is not the best candidate for full power (or higher) loads for these reasons. Best performance will be found with faster powders and modest velocities. If you want more than that, you'll have to get a standard Glock or aftermarket barrel. Or..... If you want the big bang and huge muzzle/port flash, work up your loads accordingly. Also, in case you haven't considered it, DO NOT fire a "C" gun, or any vertically ported barrel, from inside a vehicle or indoors with a low ceiling. High-flash, slow powders can set fire to the headliner/ceiling, or cause other damage. It can also be very unpleasant during low-draw hip firing.

Unless you are seriously considering higher power loads, do yourself a favor and get another barrel. Additionally, your slide is considerably lighter than non-C models, so you'll have to compensate with a heavier RSA, as well.

Otherwise, if your intent is to shoot near OTC load levels, stay away from the slower powders. There a lot of good options in faster powders. HS7, Autocomp, HS6, AA5, 800X, WSF, Power Pistol, Unique, W231/HP38 (in order of slower -> faster). There are many others, but these are common and produce good results. Don't exceed modest published charges, and always work up to the max.
__________________
Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid. -- The Duke
dm1906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 16:23   #107
drew02a
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 50
I've been reloading with Blue Dot and bought some 135 grain Nosler HPs for fun

Most accurate load out of my Glock 20C so far is
New Starline Brass
CCI #300 primers
13.0 grains of Blue Dot
135 Grain Nosler HP
1.25" OAL

I know I'm not getting the same velocity I could with a faster powder, but it's a really nice load. I loaded with 13.5gr of powder too and the groupings started opening up just a little. I think the real sweet spot will be somewhere around 13.2-.3
drew02a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 22:01   #108
dm1906
Retired SO
 
dm1906's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: PRK (Kalifornia)
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew02a View Post
I've been reloading with Blue Dot and bought some 135 grain Nosler HPs for fun

Most accurate load out of my Glock 20C so far is
New Starline Brass
CCI #300 primers
13.0 grains of Blue Dot
135 Grain Nosler HP
1.25" OAL

I know I'm not getting the same velocity I could with a faster powder, but it's a really nice load. I loaded with 13.5gr of powder too and the groupings started opening up just a little. I think the real sweet spot will be somewhere around 13.2-.3
Blue Dot is best with 180 gr. and larger bullets, perhaps down to 155 gr. at maximum loads. Smaller should be using a faster powder, such as 800X, AA7/5, Unique (try it, you'll like it for 135's), for the same velocity (and faster) and accuracy you are seeing, at close to half the price (for powder), and a cleaner burn. The smaller bullets just accelerate too fast to get a complete burn with Blue Dot, which is likely why you started to see a loss of accuracy at modest velocities. I use BD a LOT for most of the full power stuff, and some nukes, but it isn't for every load. Dense, slow powders are more expensive by the pound, require a lot more per charge, and yield modest results with light bullets. If you want to continue using BD (nothing wrong with it, really), try reducing your C.O.L. if you can, and use magnum primers, before increasing powder charge (start at a lower charge and work up again). You may improve the results considerably.

[edit]
Just noticed your pistol is a "C". That changes things quite a bit. Increasing gas volume (such as with slower powders) will decrease accuracy, with little velocity gain once out of the comfortable range for the bullet/powder combo. Faster burning powders will help considerably, in this case.
__________________
Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid. -- The Duke

Last edited by dm1906; 07-05-2012 at 22:05..
dm1906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 22:51   #109
drew02a
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 50
Thanks,
I mostly use Blue Dot for 200gr HPs and fire them from a 6.5" barel. Like you said, slow powder is great with heavier bullets and longer barrels, because it has time to build pressure and burn completely. The 135gr loads were just for fun since there's not even a real practical use for it if you load it at max velocity.

I was mostly surprised by the accuracy I was getting. The light bullets stabilize nicely in the OEM Glock barrel

Last edited by drew02a; 07-05-2012 at 22:53..
drew02a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:00   #110
dm1906
Retired SO
 
dm1906's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: PRK (Kalifornia)
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew02a View Post
Thanks,
I mostly use Blue Dot for 200gr HPs and fire them from a 6.5" barel. Like you said, slow powder is great with heavier bullets and longer barrels, because it has time to build pressure and burn completely. The 135gr loads were just for fun since there's not even a real practical use for it if you load it at max velocity.

I was mostly surprised by the accuracy I was getting. The light bullets stabilize nicely in the OEM Glock barrel
I hear ya. I've done (and do) some things for no other reason than just the fun of it. I've stumbled onto some real discoveries in the process, too. Practical is for when you're wearing your serious hat.
__________________
Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid. -- The Duke
dm1906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 13:11   #111
SodaThal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2
165grn Rem GSHP

Hi All,
Finally got registered and have some questions.
Curently I'm loading 165grn Rem GSHPs behind 11.5grns of Blue Dot, using PMC and or Win Brass, Fed 150 primers, OAL 1.258". In a Stock G20sf with no signs of over pressure.

The question is, when should I use the 22# spring I have and have any of you used Mag primers with this 165grn bullet and load? TIA for the replys!
SodaThal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 13:15   #112
drew02a
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SodaThal View Post
...The question is, when should I use the 22# spring I have and have any of you used Mag primers with this 165grn bullet and load? TIA for the replys!
There's no definitive answer for when to use a heavier recoil spring, but in general, it's a good idea to use it with heavier bullets and hotter powder loads. A good gauge is how far your brass is flying. If it's bouncing off the ceiling, or flying more than a few feet away from you, a heavier recoil spring might be in order.
drew02a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 19:39   #113
Yondering
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by SodaThal View Post
The question is, when should I use the 22# spring I have and have any of you used Mag primers with this 165grn bullet and load? TIA for the replys!
I would use the 22# spring all the time, unless you have function issues with weaker ammo.

Don't bother with magnum primers in the 10mm. It's neither necessary or helpful.
Yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 22:45   #114
Taterhead
Counting Beans
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 2,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by SodaThal View Post
Hi All,
Finally got registered and have some questions.
Curently I'm loading 165grn Rem GSHPs behind 11.5grns of Blue Dot, using PMC and or Win Brass, Fed 150 primers, OAL 1.258". In a Stock G20sf with no signs of over pressure.

The question is, when should I use the 22# spring I have and have any of you used Mag primers with this 165grn bullet and load? TIA for the replys!
I switched to a 22# spring for a while but switched back to the stock RSA. I got failures with hot loads with the heavier spring, and it did not do much to tame the brass ejection. The 17# stock RSA is 100%. Also, felt recoil is softer with a lighter spring. The harsher forward slide return from the 22# spring made it a bit longer for me to get back on target. All in all, I found the stock spring easier to shoot; and it has been 100% for function. I replace it every 3000 rounds.

What Yondering said about mag primers is correct: really is not essential for 10mm.

Last edited by Taterhead; 07-11-2012 at 22:46..
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 00:36   #115
SodaThal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2
Thanks for the info guys, it helps out alot! Since I don't have a chrony, would any of you happen know what the velocity and energy may be with that load(or any 165grn load with 11.5grns of Blue Dot)? I will be getting one soon hopefully.
SodaThal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 22:40   #116
PerfectShooter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16
Blog Entries: 1
Removed

Last edited by PerfectShooter; 07-22-2012 at 21:04.. Reason: Posted data in another form
PerfectShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 14:28   #117
Yondering
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 563
delete

Last edited by Yondering; 07-22-2012 at 14:29..
Yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:01   #118
SDGlock23
Glockoholic
 
SDGlock23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Land of Forgetfulness
Posts: 7,602
8grs Unique loaded to 1.250" shooting Montana Gold JHP. CCI LP primers (I think). Average velocity was 1143 fps out of stock G20sf. I had previously loaded up some 10.5gr Blue Dot and that got me 1165 out of the stock G20sf...same 180gr MG JHP.

Got some glock-belly on the brass which isn't surprising, but then again no so grand at this power level...but it is a book max load too. The above BD (10.5gr) load exhibited some pretty ugly bulging too, I certainly wouldn't want to push past the 11gr listed max for BD in the stock setup. FWIW, I know 6.5gr will shoot a 180gr (.40 SW) over 1100 fps so the above 10mm load isn't really giving me much gain for the extra 1.5gr powder. 1200 fps is possible with a 180gr .40 SW, but in the 10mm you don't have to be quite as powder specific, there are several powders that will do that and meter better at the same time.

I was just messing around trying to find a good mid-level plinking load, which so far Power Pistol has delivered well. 8.5gr averages just over 1200 fps with a 180gr JHP. I don't know why I settled on 1200 fps as my general use 180gr speed, but I feel it gives a good balance. Not on the extreme side of things but still shooting something befitting of the 10mm.
__________________
"Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance."
SDGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:50   #119
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.
 
nickE10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 4,297
Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post
...I was just messing around trying to find a good mid-level plinking load, which so far Power Pistol has delivered well. 8.5gr averages just over 1200 fps with a 180gr JHP. I don't know why I settled on 1200 fps as my general use 180gr speed, but I feel it gives a good balance. Not on the extreme side of things but still shooting something befitting of the 10mm.
Yep.... My first pet load EVER was 8.6gr PP over a 180gr XTP (CCI300 primers). Got about 1250+ in a 6" Fusion. Great middle warm load for the field.
__________________
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 19:37   #120
SDGlock23
Glockoholic
 
SDGlock23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Land of Forgetfulness
Posts: 7,602
Very nice! I'm really liking Power Pistol, it meters well and it's no slouch in delivering good performance. I've grown quite fond of it in the .45 Super as well.
__________________
"Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance."
SDGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:33.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 792
193 Members
599 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42