Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-13-2014, 22:41   #1
Joeroe

Need help buying the correct lead ingot to cast bullets

I just purchased a KKM barrel for my g20 and the equipment to cast lead bullets but want to make sure I purchase the correct ingot.

Here s what I'm looking at buying

If you have any suggestions on other vendors or other materials it will be appreciated. I plan on finding some lead locally in the future but want something simple to get me started. I'm hoping I can just melt this stuff down and make some bullets.

Thanks

Last edited by Joeroe; 05-13-2014 at 22:47..
Joeroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 23:37   #2
nitesite10mm
Dog Lover

You would be surprised at how soft your bullets can actually be cast if you do the single most important step before loading them: slug your bore and size your bullets 1~2 thousandths larger than your groove diameter. And use a good bullet lube.

Hard bullets that don't fit right can lead like crazy.
in no particular order.........
nitesite10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 00:33   #3
harley45

That ingot is about the hardness I use for my 10mm stuff but do yourself a favor and go directly to the rotmetals site and get free shipping.
harley45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 13:46   #4
WeeWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitesite10mm View Post
You would be surprised at how soft your bullets can actually be cast if you do the single most important step before loading them: slug your bore and size your bullets 1~2 thousandths larger than your groove diameter. And use a good bullet lube.

+1, Single most important element in a pursuit with a lot of moving parts.
Old 05-14-2014, 16:28   #5
Joeroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley45 View Post
That ingot is about the hardness I use for my 10mm stuff but do yourself a favor and go directly to the rotmetals site and get free shipping.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will do that.
Old 05-14-2014, 16:33   #6
Joeroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitesite10mm View Post

I plan on getting a luber/sizer but need to read up on the RCBS and Lyman before making a decision. The Lyman is cheaper and has a heater but I'm pretty loyal to RCBS. I will also look into how to slug the bore. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-14-2014, 18:28   #7
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Well I use to use a RCBS Sizer lubricator but for the best results I bought the STAR sizer from Magma Engineering Company http://www.magmaengineering.com/prod...ar-lube-sizer/, its a push through sizer lubricator, the bullet go in nose first so they do not get deformed , they remain more rounded, pump the lube, faster!

My 10mm Guns are working fine with 0.4015" sizing even from the Glock Factory barrels.

Yes, it is a little more expensive but faster and better results pay off!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 20:07   #8
Joeroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Shadow View Post
Well I use to use a RCBS Sizer lubricator but for the best results I bought the STAR sizer from Magma Engineering Company http://www.magmaengineering.com/prod...ar-lube-sizer/, its a push through sizer lubricator, the bullet go in nose first so they do not get deformed , they remain more rounded, pump the lube, faster!

My 10mm Guns are working fine with 0.4015" sizing even from the Glock Factory barrels.

Yes, it is a little more expensive but faster and better results pay off!
Thanks for the suggestion. I just watched a YouTube video of one with all of the optional accessories and was blown away. Looks like I will go with the basic kit and add accessories over time.

Do they custom make the dies? It looks like you give them the measurements and they give you a die custom tailored to your barrel. I'm guessing this is the only sizer that will give me the exact bullet for my barrel like nitesite10mm suggested since the RCBS dies are generic sizes.
Old 05-14-2014, 20:18   #9
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Yes, they will make them to your specs...they are easy to deal with too!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 23:11   #10
Any Cal.

You can make or acquire custom dies for any sizers, even the Lee.

Often, you do not need a custom size anyway; as long as the round chambers and is 1 thousandth or more larger than groove diameter, you are fine. Really, you may not even need to size at all depending on the mold.

If you have a bit of Antimony in your mix, and drop the cast bullets into water to cool, it will create a tough skin that is good for heavier 10mm loads. That hardball alloy could be cut quite a bit(4:1hardball) with whatever lead you can find and still make great bullets.

There are some really good forums for cast bullets with lots of good info also. If you scout around on those you can find some good prices on lead as well.

Last edited by Any Cal.; 05-15-2014 at 23:13..
Any Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 23:25   #11
Any Cal.

I do want a Star, but haven't found enough use for it to justify it. An old Lyman 45 does 400+ per hour, pan lubing with 2 pans does about the same.

I think it would be good for guys that compete and need to cast 1k per week, and have the press setup to load that many in a couple hours.

You will have to lube somehow unless you want to spend all day with greasy fingers though...
Any Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:55   #12
nitesite10mm
Dog Lover

Heck, even LLA cut a little bit and tumble lubed is perfectly okay.

A good point was made by AnyCal. that depending on the mold and your groove diameter you might not NEED to size at all, and if so that is when tumble lubing or pan lubing would save a ton of money on a LubriSizer.
in no particular order.........
nitesite10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 17:53   #13
Joeroe

Thanks for the info guys. I couldn't wait so I bought 500 rainier 155gr plated bullets, headed to the range and was very happy with the results of my new Zev fulcrum ultimate trigger and KKM barrel. I know the factory trigger is fine for most but it really helped my shooting.

I would really like to go with a lubrisizer to save valuable time and to avoid the mess of tumble lubing. I'm a little anal retentive and would also like my bullets to be shiny. My goal is to shoot around 400 rounds a month but finding the time to make bullets is always the thing that keeps me from doing that. I also reload 6.8spc so that also takes time away from the family so saving time is well worth the money for me. Unfortunately I jumped the gun and ordered my mold before researching the topic and bought a Lee 6 cavity mold that is intended for tumble lubing. Can I lube these bullets with a lubrisizer? I'm guessing and hoping I can since I haven't been able to find any different 6 cavity moulds. I did a little digging and found out about mountain molds custom molds from a response to another member that _The_Shadow posted so of I can't lubrisize these bullets I'll look into that.

Last edited by Joeroe; 05-17-2014 at 17:54..
Old 05-28-2014, 02:47   #14
Millbillytrash

I used to cast ****piles of bullets to feed my 1911s.

You need it hard enough that it doesn't swage an imprint of your feedramp on it's way into the chamber. In my experience, that's around 15 BHN.

Then you play the "find a powder that will obturate" game...
Millbillytrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 17:23   #15
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millbillytrash View Post

You need it hard enough that it doesn't swage an imprint of your feedramp on it's way into the chamber. In my experience, that's around 15 BHN.

Even worse if you don't have an on hand supply....

You play the "find any powder that I can find that will at least kinda sorta do what I am looking to do in the burn rate that can be made to work 'cause I cant find anything else" game.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:21   #16
happie2shoot

Quote:

With clip on ww lead you can water quench your boolits to make them harder. Too hard and too much alloy can be
bad.

A good read, Arsenic and heat treating
http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/Cla...20treating.pdf

And more goodness, Heat Treating Lead/Antimony/Arsenic Alloys
By: Rick Kelter
http://www.lasc.us/HeatTreat.htm
happie2shoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:26   #17
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeroe View Post
I plan on getting a luber/sizer but need to read up on the RCBS and Lyman before making a decision. The Lyman is cheaper and has a heater but I'm pretty loyal to RCBS. I will also look into how to slug the bore. Thanks for the help.
If you are going to buy a luber/sizer, consider nothing less than a magma/star. Yes it cost more, but it's easily 2-3 x faster.
As noted, bullet fit is #1, then alloy, then lube.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 05-31-2014 at 10:26..
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:30   #18
fredj338

Quote:

Just not my exp. I feed half dozen 1911, xd, etc, nothing but range scrap @ 10-11bhn. The bullets are swc or TC designs.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 05-31-2014 at 10:30..
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 20:45   #19
Joeroe

I thought this thread died after my last post. Thanks for the responses. My neighbor is a plumber and he brought me 30lbs of lead pipe. I used my cheap yet useful Lyman starter kit to cast some ingots and decided to buy an RCBS bottom pour pot. It only took one session of ladle casting to get me to buck up and get something a little more user friendly.

I've been shooting the Raineer's for now and fighting some 120gr SST's for my AR so I haven't had much time to continue with casting. I finally found a combo for the AR that is accurate and reliable so I can now focus on the Glock again. I ended up spending my extra money on a Forster co/ax press, the bottom pour pot and still need to get a concentricity gauge before the Lubrisizer. Who knows slugging the barrel might tell me I don't need to size and if that's the case I can tumble lube for now and buy the star at a later date.

Have any of you used lead pipe lead and if so what did you do to make it hard enough. I may find my answers in the links that happy2shoot's links. I obviously need to do some reading.