Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-22-2003, 11:06   #1
Esox357

Opening Day Of Deer With New Rifle.

Deer opener in Nebraska got off to a "bang" or four literally.
I started out in a tree stand and let four does pass around 8:00a.m. At 9:30a.m. a huge doe appears under my stand almost magically, she was so close I could see her nose moving in and out and her breath rising in the morning air. As I position my self and my rifle for the shot she looks up and takes off behind the tree I am sitting in.
I make an attempt to squeeze around the huge tree to see her standing still, appearing to bolt. I make the decision to take the shot. As I lay the crosshairs of my leupold scope on the back of her neck not more than 15 yards away, I squeezed the trigger and notice dirt fly directly up to the right of her, she takes off instantly, I rack another shell and fire another shot, she escapes unharmed. At this moment, I sensed movement out of the corner of my eye, I look to see a huge buck jump out of the creek where the doe was, I fired twice and nada. My hunting partner asked why WWIII broke out and why I had nothing to show for the "noise". I sat in disbelief that I had missed those deer. I got out twice more this week and didn't see any deer. That pretty much summed my day and season up, but man I wished I had taken that doe or buck! No deer this year at least for early season. No just have to wait for January's late season. Hope everyone had luck. Take Care Esox357.
Old 11-22-2003, 11:37   #2
DWavs

Send a message via ICQ to DWavs Send a message via AIM to DWavs Send a message via Yahoo to DWavs

Have you sighted in that rifle lately?? Maybe the scoped has been bumped?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
...a place to discuss cigars!

TT #1
DWavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 14:47   #3
Esox357

Dwavs, yeah, I sighted that rifle in at 25 yards and then 100 yards to hit a little high about a inch about two months prior to season and then again on an indoor range. I don't see how it could have been bumped, I am very careful with my firearms. I thought in the morning while shooting at the doe that the elevation might have had me shoot over her head, but the shot went to the left slightly, so I thought I might have pulled the shot. The buck I missed, I felt to running. I guess I am making excuses but don't actually know why I missed, which is plain irritating. I have never had real good luck with scoped guns and might just stick to open sights. Esox357