Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-30-2003, 09:00   #1
Tommy Gun
CLM Number 159
Charter Lifetime Member

Good cold weather clothing

I was trying to get my Christmas wish list together and thought you folks may have some good advice. I am interested in some good cold weather clothing for late deer season hunting and something to use into the winter for varmints, etc.. While looking at the Cabelas web site they list all kinds of options. Wool vs. synthetic fibers, different patterns, some are better in the wet weather then others and "system garments" all with expensive price tags.....;G

What would work well and be a good value? What do you use and what would you use if you could afford it?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...inCatcat470076
CLM#159, BigDawg#1025, Niners#1025, Rimfire#18, Wheelhouse#149, Black Rifle#12, HFC#?, TSC#32, Kalashnikov#1989, Bladerunner#19, NECC#59 & S/P#6. NRA, GONH, GOA & NAHC.

Last edited by Tommy Gun; 11-30-2003 at 09:27..
Tommy Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 19:28   #2
Dan

I bought the Cabelas Polar Tech insulated underwear and like them a lot. First time this year I used them, I felt a difference.

Last edited by Dan; 11-30-2003 at 20:45..
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 20:24   #3
MI10mm

I'd look for clothing with a waterproof/breatheable insert such as Gore Tex for the outergarment. You can find other names for these membranes, but being waterproof AND breatheable is the most important thing to look for. If you happen to sweat while walking to your stand, the Gore Tex ( or whatever you choose) will let you dry off, without getting cold and clammy. It is also windproof. My whole hunting outfit is Gore Tex lined, from my boots to my hat. It makes a BIG difference when hunting. MI10mm
MI10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 20:41   #4
tjpet

Get a set of original weight silk underwear. Lets you move and shoot without being bulky. Very comfortable and lightweight. Silk will help retain body heat and wick perspiration away but is not the best choice if you sit on stand for hours at a time. Best for someone who sits and moves from time to time. About $40 for a top and bottom.

Other then that I wear jeans, a lightweight down jacket, Sorrel boots, and a wool watch cap. For camo I bought a surplus East German winter cloth poncho (white backround sprinkled with conifer boughs/needles) that goes on or off in a second. Provides plenty of cover in most winter settings. Paid $14 through a surplus store.
tjpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 17:32   #5
treemanjohn

www.kingofthemountain.com . I was Gore-tex all the way before I found wool. You'll pay maybe a little more for wool, but you'll be silent in the woods and always warm and dry.
treemanjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 19:48   #6
Elk Hunter

I recomend wool also.Keeps you warm even when it gets wet.Check for military surplus or a Woolridge outlet store for the best deals.
Elk Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 16:10   #7
A.F. Lineman

I would recomend Wool also. Or at least some of the soft coverings over the gortex. You really need to feel and try on the items before you buy them Look around at some of the local stores. Mosttimes you can get them for the same price or cheaper than mailorser with shipping.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:39   #8
ithaca_deerslayer

Layers.

Do you ski? I've got tons of cold weather stuff from skiing.

When I want to be warm, I mix and match different sizes. Tighter fitting stuff on first, then loose fitting stuff on top of that.

For example, I have a pair of gore-tex insulated hunting pants that are loose. I also have an old ski jacket that is loose. That stuff goes on the outside. Underneath goes an old pair of tighter fitting ski pants and a heavy wool flannel shirt that fits over a turtleneck sweatshirt.

Of course, you also need a fleece neck gaiter to pull up over your face, or one of those foam face masks. I have an oversize cabelas hunting cap with ear flaps. Under that goes an insulted skull cap (I think it was made to fit under ski helmuts).

Gore-tex insulated ski gloves are a must. Mine are camo, of course. Gloves have to be gore-tex, or else they get damp and fingers get cold. Other things don't have to be gore-tex if you can't afford it, but it is always nice to have. I at least like some kind windbreak and water shedding material on the outside. Doesn't have to be water proof, because snow won't likely melt through it. I don't like wool for an outer layer, I like it only as a middle layer.

Feet. I like the tall rubber boots (farm style) that have a thick felt liner inside. My feet don't get bothered by moisture, and the rubber is great in going through semi-frozen streams. Gore-tex boots are ok, but they are not as waterproof as rubber. Maybe initially, but after walking a season the gore-tex just won't be 100%. And of course the boots are slightly oversize so I can wear a heavy wool sock.

This get up protects me down to 0 for sitting still for up to four hours (more or less depending upon how close to 0).

For below 0, I find I just have to pack in some extra outerwear. One solution that works good is a heavy wool blanket to huddle under while you wait to ambush the big one!

Now, if we are talking about walking around, then ditch the middle layers, ditch the wool socks, the ski pants, the wool flannel, the face mask, then go out. Otherwise, you will overheat!

No matter what, don't have anything too tight. Tight = cold (if it is constricting your blood flow). That's why I find mixing and matching the way to go. Different sizes fit together and create warm layers that don't constrict.

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 12-15-2003 at 11:43..
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 12:28   #9
Tommy Gun
CLM Number 159
Charter Lifetime Member

Thanks for all the advice. You all seem to have your preferences and use what works. I have been using mix and match stuff over the years. I have used mostly wool items mixed with skiing gear. I have never owned or used Gortex before.

I did ask Santa for the Cabelas MT050 parka and bib. A lot of money for me! Anything could show up Christmass day. Woolrich, LL Bean, Codet, Wal-Mart, etc.. We will see.......

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jhtml?id=0009892&navAction=push&navCount=3&indexId=cat470091&parentId=cat470091&parentType=index &rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fpod-link.jhtml_A&_DAV=

Thanks again, and the best to you all in 2004!
CLM#159, BigDawg#1025, Niners#1025, Rimfire#18, Wheelhouse#149, Black Rifle#12, HFC#?, TSC#32, Kalashnikov#1989, Bladerunner#19, NECC#59 & S/P#6. NRA, GONH, GOA & NAHC.

Last edited by Tommy Gun; 12-15-2003 at 12:30..
Old 12-15-2003, 21:00   #10
MarkCO
CLM Number 245
Charter Lifetime Member

Cabela's Dry Plus is IT

I hunt elk, goose and pheasants from November to February in Colorado. In fact I just got back from elk hunting. I've tried about everything and hunted with folks trying everytihng else over the paast 25 years. Two things I know. First, not everytihng that works for one person works for another. You personal "thermostat" activity, tendency to sweat etc all come into play. Second, Cabela's dry Plus is the best stuff I have ever used and most of the folks that hunt that have tried it stick with it. It is quiet, windproof (important) waterproof and relatively light for the amount of insulation you get. I have a jacket, a pants and two hooded pull-overs. I hunt in the hooded pullovers most of the time. I also really like Cabelas Quest boots. Good pants and jacekts are worthless if your feet (or your head) is freezing.
.40 S&W Club #1, 1911 Club #1067
NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor
www.CarbonArms.us
MarkCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 20:56   #11
anomad

How cold are we talking? If its well below freezing gore tex is a waste, its even a problem in really cold temps as your body vapor will frost on the inside of the membrane, soon you'll be walking around in a giant ice cube.

I have found versatility is key. If you are wearing enough to be warm when stand or blind hunting, you'll roast with even the lightest activity. If you are chasing chukkars up and down the hills you will freeze if you stop walking.

Whatever material you choose, get something with lots of zippers and vents that can be opened and closed as your needs change. And wear layers that can come on and off without too much hassle.
anomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 00:54   #12
philkryder

Send a message via AIM to philkryder
Quote:
Originally posted by tjpet
Get a set of original weight silk underwear. ....
Where did you get the silks?
philkryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 04:27   #13
onemilmhz
Ten Ninety Five

Send a message via Yahoo to onemilmhz
Most of my hunting gear, cold weather or otherwise, either came from my days in the military or was handed down by my father-in-law. The best cold weather items in my closet are a pair of military issue poly-pro long underwear and the Rocky cold weather boots I was issued in Korea.
Old 12-18-2003, 05:02   #14
modgun
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Yes sir, on that silk!

Ive got a few but the one that was handy to look at was just a cheap Eddie Bauer deal. Sure they sell it online too.

As was said, it really depends on what you mean by cold. Where I grew up it was regularly -40F, and not uncommon to go to -60F. Thats without wind.
After about 40 below it gets much harder to tell the temperature drop. Things start to break if it stays that cold long. But youd be surprised how well everyday things go on at -30 or -40.

Whatever you get make the first layer silk, especially if you go with wool!
And wear a hat.
modgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 05:05   #15
modgun
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

And silk glove liners!
Old 12-18-2003, 05:17   #16
modgun
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

And silk glove liners!
Old 12-18-2003, 17:09   #17
Tommy Gun
CLM Number 159
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally posted by anomad
How cold are we talking? If its well below freezing gore tex is a waste, its even a problem in really cold temps as your body vapor will frost on the inside of the membrane, soon you'll be walking around in a giant ice cube.

I have found versatility is key. If you are wearing enough to be warm when stand or blind hunting, you'll roast with even the lightest activity. If you are chasing chukkars up and down the hills you will freeze if you stop walking.

Whatever material you choose, get something with lots of zippers and vents that can be opened and closed as your needs change. And wear layers that can come on and off without too much hassle.
I figure the temps will range from 32 to 0 degrees F.

The venting advice and the point you make about "versatility" are sound but I am surprised to read that the Gortex will not breath as well as the manufacturer claims it will. This is the first time I have heard this. Does anyone else find that Gortex "frosts"?
Old 12-19-2003, 01:28   #18
anomad

Quote:
Originally posted by Tommy Gun
I figure the temps will range from 32 to 0 degrees F.
You shouldn't have a problem with frosting at 0F or above. I've only experienced it below zero or in really strong winds where I was sweating pretty good. Its no fault on gore-tex's (or whatever brand) part, it happens when the condensation point is inside your shell. That is, if your shell is below freezing, when the water vapor from your body hits it, it condenses and freezes right there.

At 20-40F gore-tex is perfect! If Santa brought me an MT050 parka and bib I would be tickled. I have an older cabelas gore-tex bib and parka that kept me more than happy all winter in the lower 48.
anomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 17:50   #19
tjpet

Quote:
Originally posted by philkryder
Where did you get the silks?

They can be found through most of the big discount houses like Cabela's, Eddie Bauer's, etc.

Right now I'm getting mine through Sierra Traditions for under $30 per set (top and bottom.) These are sold as factory seconds but I've yet to see any difference except they're $10 cheaper.

Go to http://www.sierratradingpost.com to check them out.
tjpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 11:22   #20
philkryder

Send a message via AIM to philkryder
Quote:
Originally posted by tjpet
They can be found through most of the big discount houses like Cabela's, Eddie Bauer's, etc.

Right now I'm getting mine through Sierra Traditions for under $30 per set (top and bottom.) These are sold as factory seconds but I've yet to see any difference except they're $10 cheaper.

Go to http://www.sierratradingpost.com to check them out.
Thanks!
That's about half what I paid for mine at LLBEAN.
I just ordered a couple more "before the hoarders get them!?!"
philkryder is offline   Reply With Quote