Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-01-2003, 22:58   #1
hwyhobo

Quick zucchini omelette

This is one of those "what to do when your fridge is empty" kind of things. It takes only a few minutes, and it makes a delicious and nutritious meal.

Ingredients

1 big, fresh Italian squash
1/2 of medium yellow onion
5 egg whites
1/2 of 1 egg yolk
1/2 oz of Monterey Jack cheese
a few crumbles of gorgonzola (optional)
Pure olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Preparation

Peel squash, cut it lengthwise into 2/3" thick slices.
Cut onion into 1/3" chunks.
Cut cheese into thin strips.
Mix egg whites with half an egg yolk and both cheeses.

Heat up a flat pan (until very hot). Brush the bottom of the pan with olive oil. Put squash in, keep inside (uncovered) on high heat until both sides show golden-brown streaks (but make sure it's on very high heat, so the heat sears all the juice and the interior retains its firmness and fresh flavor--no vegetable is more pathetic than a limp zucchini). Put squash slices on the plate as a base.

Brush in a little more olive into the pan. On very high heat add onion and leave until golden brown. Spread onion over the squash base.

Cut heat to medium. Do not add any more fat of any kind. Pour egg mixture into the pan. When it starts setting, fold in half, wait for a while, then slide it from the pan onto the plate on top of the squash and the onions. Add salt and pepper (very little pepper) to taste.

I prefer to use pure olive oil instead of extra virgin because I do not want to overwhelm the delicate fresh flavor of zucchini. Also, pepper tends to be a little too much for it, so I usually do not use any spices at all.

1/2 of 1 egg yolk is quite enough to maintain the egg flavor, particularly when combined with the monterey jack cheese, but you're quite welcome to use more if you crave cholesterol
hwyhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 09:14   #2
The Pontificator
Angry Samoan

Re: Quick zucchini omelette

Quote:
Originally posted by hwyhobo

I prefer to use pure olive oil instead of extra virgin because I do not want to overwhelm the delicate fresh flavor of zucchini. Also, pepper tends to be a little too much for it, so I usually do not use any spices at all.
Regular ("pure") olive oil should always be used when the oil is to be heated. Heating Extra Virgin olive oil diminishes the flavor, anyway.

1/2 of 1 egg yolk is quite enough to maintain the egg flavor, particularly when combined with the monterey jack cheese, but you're quite welcome to use more if you crave cholesterol

Recipe looks pretty Atkins-friendly to me. Think I'll try it. Thanks for sharing.
The Pontificator is offline   Reply With Quote