Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-09-2003, 19:44   #1
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

What ever happened to...

Remember back in the late 80's, early 90's when they put a Porsche engine in the Cessna? One control handled everything as I recall but it seems like the combo never took hold and quickly disappeared.

Same sort of thing with the Beech Starship. I saw one at the airshow in Livermore CA around 1989-90, but it too seemed to quickly go the way of the dinosaur.

T

NRA Life Benefactor Member, AMA Champion Member, AOPA Member, ARRL Member, GOA Life Member
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 20:26   #2
Medpilot 2
Smkumifyagotum

Send a message via AIM to Medpilot 2 Send a message via Yahoo to Medpilot 2
I never heard Cessna dealing with Porsche engines. I know Mooney had a few of them in their models.

As far as the Starship is concerned. I think it was an engineering disaster. I think its useful load was extremely low which hurt the sales.

Then Piaggio came along and built a better version which killed the Star Ship. At least that's what I hear anyway.
Medpilot 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 21:28   #3
Texas T
CLM Number 23
TX expatriate

Quote:
Originally posted by Medpilot 2
I never heard Cessna dealing with Porsche engines. I know Mooney had a few of them in their models.
The aircraft engine PFM 3200 was built by Porsche in the late '80s (1987 to 1989) for the single-engine airplanes Robin, Mooney and Cessna.

http://www.es.porsche.de/spanish/esp.../flugmotor.htm

NRA Life Benefactor Member, AMA Champion Member, AOPA Member, ARRL Member, GOA Life Member
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 23:45   #4
Superfueler
Glockenplane

Send a message via Yahoo to Superfueler
There have been a few articles lately about the demise of the Starship. Here is the short version.

It ended up being much heavier than they wanted it to be, so it did not perform as expected. In fact, the King Air 350 was faster, had a bigger cabin, and a better useful load, but cost less. They built 40 or so, and sold about 15 of those. Recently, Beech began cutting up the planes they still own, and trying to buy back the ones they don't own, so they do not have to support the aircraft any more.

The good news is that Beech learned alot about building a composite aircraft, and used their skill to build the Premier I, and the Hawker Horizon, which are all composite, and very popular.
Aviation Forum #1903
Superfueler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 01:21   #5
SMUNK
Detached Member

Re: What ever happened to...

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas T
Remember back in the late 80's, early 90's when they put a Porsche engine in the Cessna? One control handled everything as I recall but it seems like the combo never took hold and quickly disappeared.

T
I remember Car and Driver did a comparison of a Carrera with the same engine and the plane. They tried to see who could get from point a to point b faster.

Unsurprisingly the car got a ticket and the plane got there WAY ahead.
SMUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 14:35   #6
Medpilot 2
Smkumifyagotum

Send a message via AIM to Medpilot 2 Send a message via Yahoo to Medpilot 2
Re: Re: What ever happened to...

Quote:
Originally posted by SMUNK
I remember Car and Driver did a comparison of a Carrera with the same engine and the plane. They tried to see who could get from point a to point b faster.

Unsurprisingly the car got a ticket and the plane got there WAY ahead.
Haha, that's great.

Does anyone know what model Cessna had the option of the Porche engine?
Medpilot 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 16:03   #7
Superfueler
Glockenplane

Send a message via Yahoo to Superfueler
The only a/c that was sold with that engine in the US was the Mooney PFM. A Cessna 182 was flown with it, and they were thinking of getting an STC, but there wasn't a market for the mod.
Aviation Forum #1903
Superfueler is offline   Reply With Quote