SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-10-2003, 09:03   #1
Glockerel
Got Mojo?

Habanero growers- a question

I grew Habaneros this summer. I container grew a plant and it produced wonderfully. When it got cold(I live in Minnesota), I brought it in, thinking it would die soon. We'll, here it is two months later and it's growing even bigger and is covered with blossoms. I simply water and fertilize weekly.
My question is this-
The peppers it is producing now are rather small and not every blossom matures into a pepper. Do I need another plant to pollinate these blossoms to get it producing heavy again?
Old 12-10-2003, 09:22   #2
mhambi
Hegemon

Two things come to mind. First habs like lots of light and warmth. Even inside they're probably getting less of both than the were during the summer. Second they like lots of 'organic material' in the soil. In a pot the nutrients they need can easily be used up in a short time. It sounds like it has enough flowers for pollination but I guess you could try another plant to see if that helps. Otherwise, keep fertilizing (or re-pot in fresh soil) and try to keep it warm and in the light (try growing lights maybe?)

Good luck! Even with the smaller peppers you should be able to keep it over the winter and things should pick back up come summer.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:27   #3
Glockerel
Got Mojo?

Good advice, thanks.
I do have it in front of a 7' x 5' south facing picture window, but I'll bet the window throws off some cold at night.
I still can't believe how big this thing is. It's got to be 3' across!
Old 12-17-2003, 20:02   #4
Penman
Goauche User

If you ever get down to Las Cruces, NM, about 40 miles west of El Paso TX, New Mexico State University has a chile garden that's open to the public and displays hundreds of edible and ornamental chile plants, with sources for seeds listed in the directory. You can even join a supporting group and get free seed samples from them.